What do you call a work that is socio-political but is written with the specific intent to be aesthetic...

What do you call a work that is socio-political but is written with the specific intent to be aesthetic, not to further a cause?

Literary fiction, the one genre Veeky Forums approves of

No, that's not at all what that is. literary fiction just means that it is fiction and that it is literary. it could be both socio political or aesthetic or completely aimless and it could still classify as literary fiction.

>yfw a rebours is based on huysmans asking all his decadent friends what they would do and painting them as wankers in gorgeous prose
Literary fiction is defined by its intent to be aesthetically motivated first and arise from the social and political condition of humanity. It's why Watership Down is still considered literary fiction, despite being about rabbits, because the rabbits are anthromorphised and styled to reflect the human situation and play on the heartstrings. It's not because rabbits give a fuck.

But it's not necessarily without agenda. Sure, Aesthetics are VALUED, but they are not always the motive. To Kill A Mockingbird for example, certainly has agenda.

Just because it's emotive doesn't mean it's to further a cause. What makes TKAM literary is that it's emotive, and draws on the human condition, not that you decided to side with Boo or Atticus or anyone else. Not everyone arrives at the same agenda, or else there would be good cause for banning Catcher in the Rye everywhere with a president.

>else there would be good cause for banning Catcher in the Rye everywhere with a president
Did you just confuse the murder of John Lennon with the murder of JFK?

What would you call such a work if it wasn't done in prose?

The attempted Reagan assassination by Hinckley.
...a poem or play mfw no face because user might believe in sci-fi poetry

>a poem or play mfw no face because user might believe in sci-fi poetry
No like, it wouldn't be literary if it was a game or a film, but to deny that those medias could be made with such an intent is dumb. So what would you call a film that aims to be aesthetic by reflecting socio-political elements?

All books by a Republican's ghostwriter.

oh, you mean what do they mean when they call a poem or play or film literary? it means that it evokes emotional reactions through styling choices. it's not by reflecting the socio-political elements, but by styling them for aesthetic contemplation.
for instance, propaganda will often reflect socio-political elements, but it's usually designed so as to obscure the stylistic choices which make it emotive. if it highlights the stylistic choices that make it emotive, then it's literary propaganda, and usually less effective.

>might believe in sci-fi poetry
>implying

pretentious bullshit

>you mean what do they mean when they call a poem or play or film literary
No I mean that you DON'T call film or plays literary, literary means "concerning the writing, study, or content of literature, ". It SPECIFICALLY refers to writing. I am asking what you would call this style of storytelling in a medium that isn't written.

no, it specifically refers to being literate (i.e. formally educated and styled). likewise one can be described as "film literate". it has more than one meaning and the ones applied to other media refer to its emotive and stylised nature, which can be "read" by those who are "literate" in the medium.
for instance, you can be film literate without being able to write a word, so long as you have a formal understanding of film as a medium.

>literate
literate means being able to read, and is sometimes used to refer to someone that is "well read". if you are film literate you have READ about film. literature means "written works". it makes no sense to call movies literary fiction and I have never seen it done

literary doesn't mean just "can be read" or "is in a book". pulp fiction for instance is not literary. literary refers to formal style and education in the humanities. likewise, the humanities does not just mean "human", but a specific set of studies. it makes sense to call movies literary when they are formally styled, just as much as it makes sense to call literary fiction "high brow" despite books not having brows. you're trying to trim the definition and excluding its main use.
as an example, since Twilight is a book and written work, your definition would make it literary. it's not. it's pulp, despite not being printed on pulp.

Literary means "concerning literature" and literature is written works. Don't deny reality, it has never not meant that.

btw if you're film literate, it means you understand film, not that you have read about it. reading about it is probably one of the worst ways to become film literate.

Twilight is certainly literature.

Literary means formally styled and especially emotive literature. Your retarded definition is going to see you missing most of its common use in criticism and scholarship. You can sulk, but it won't change any of its use in literature. Nobody's going to call Twilight "literary" without being as retarded as you, and nobody who understands its definition will refrain from laughing at you.

>Literary means formally styled and especially emotive literature
Yes, LITERATURE. Meaning WRITTEN WORKS. Whether it's a particular style of written works, it's still EXCLUSIVELY WRITTEN WORKS.

>all literature is literary
damn i'm glad i'm not teaching your 101 class

No, all literary works are literature.

as for literary being applied to other media, its implication is that it's formally styled and educated in the humanities/medium. its use is not exclusive to the written word, no matter how much you yell.

Literary is LITERALLY derived from Littera which means "letter". Of course the word is about writing. I need a functional classification, people won't understand if you refer to a piece of music or film as literary fiction, it is nonsense.

and it came to mean formally styled because one who was educated in the humanities was said to be "lettered". i know you want it to be a smaller definition, which dissolves all definition between literary and literature as two separate words, but you not being able to understand its common use isn't going to get the humanities departments of the world to stop using it to refer to formal styling resulting from an education in the humanities. you might as well try making it mean low brow written works, because it has the same chance of success.

And your insistence that it's the way humanities use the word won't make it true either, film and music and video games do simply not get referred to as literary fiction. The problem is not that I don't want the word to be used like this, I'm asserting that it simply doesn't happen.

i said they get referred to as literary. films and music are very rarely referred to as fiction. films and music however can and are referred to as literary, and what that denotes is not they are written works, but they are educated works with reference to formal styles. my insistence that is how it is used in the humanities is not only supported by the definition which will crop up if you google it (where its antonyms and synonyms ought to give you a hint), but also any 101 course teacher you care to ask. even if i told you you were right and i was trolling, i would just be lying to you and wrong. the literary world would carry on using it as i've told you its common use is. you also seem to be unable to divorce it from the word fiction; fiction is what tells you a literary work is literature, but works do not have to be fiction to be literary. you can have literary speeches, movies, music, and documentaries (visual, audio, and written). you can have literary fiction and non-fiction. the word literary usually is only followed by fiction when referring to books, but it can be followed by non-fiction and music and film, and loses none of its definition with regards to education, styling and emotional quality.

>films and music however can and are referred to as literary
show me some examples.

stillman; schumann
likewise, a philistine isn't considered to be solely a member of a jewish sect anymore, but a judgment on taste and presentation.

Also it's pretty rich that you tell me to look up synonyms when the first dictionary I look up says "relating to books"

it's pretty funny that the secondary definition is related to formal styling is the one that's useful to humanities and you're trying so desperately hard to defend the definition for philistines.

also, to rub this in further, Twilight is a book, go ahead and call it literary fiction to someone. they don't even have to be in the humanities

a library catalogue is all about books, try calling it a literary work to your local librarian XD

the secondary definition
(of language) associated with literary works or other formal writing; having a marked style intended to create a particular emotional effect.
>literary works
>formal WRITING
>formal styling obviously referring specifically to prose.

>ignores the specification of marked style and emotive qualities
>ignores the formal requisite
>ignores that entire definition relates to "language" not "literature"
it's almost like you can associate with something without becoming that thing.

Shit