Stirling Engine

Has anyone ever made one of these before? I just found out about these, and I have seen a bunch of homemade ones so I was thinking it would be a cool project

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RY8iEpjg45M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This seems to be a thread for /diy/

Kindly explain, OP?

Cavitation water heaters can achieve over 100% efficiency. Yes this is confirmed, and no it's not violation of conservation of energy.

I always wondered what would happen if you hooked one up to a stirling engine. With a sufficiently large enough heat sink, would it be self powered indefinitely?

The trick would be to hook it to a steam turbine that turns the water heater armature. If it spins up until it self-destructs, you did it.

This thing needs a new o-ring. If you go to /diy/, please correct someone's spelling. They're literally dumber than /k/.

>over 100% efficiency
>self powered indefinitely
>no it's not violation of conservation of energy
Uh..

what is orders of energy

>what is orders of energy
No idea. You seem to be just making shit up and hoping no one will call you out for it.

Get this fucking overunity, free energy, perpetual motion bullshit off Veeky Forums and back to right fucking now.

I researched this a few years back.
I though I could change the world.
Turns out the maintenance costs go through the roof with these engines.
They break very easily.

>They break very easily.
Swedish Navy are able to use these in their subs, reliable enough for that. Also very quiet.

What is strange is that these are not (yet) used on the cooling water circuit on cars. 2/3 of the chemical energy in fuel is lost as heat.

>reliable
>also very quiet

5 seconds on google"
1) Stirling engine is used in some submarines because this engine produce very less noise thus serving its purpose for submarine which is used for secret purposes.

If you're talking reliable as in they make little noise then yes, they're stealthy.
Otherwise don't use them in your car.

I think I'd rather stick Peltier generator pads all over it with heat sinks. No moving parts that way.

youtube.com/watch?v=RY8iEpjg45M

big money energy shill detected !!!!!!11!

The reason for why Sterling Engines are not widely used is because they offer less power than an Steam Engine of equal size. That is way they were not developed back in the XIXth century.
Contrary to other engines, however, Stirling Engines do not have combustion near them. Or anywhere. Stirling engines are driven by a temperature difference. That means no exhaust, so they are extremely stealthy. The Swedish Navy submarines use them for example.
They are also useful for small scale generation. Such as at homes.

>They are also useful for small scale generation. Such as at homes.

Yes, and maintenance costs go through the roof.
That's why they're not popular.
They're not easy to lubricate while in use and any dirt in them will destroy them fast.
Stop memeing.

But that's not true. They are becoming more common because they are being designed better.

Have at it if you're this deluded.
Maybe you can kickstart some to sell along solar roadways.
You'll make a quick buck.

The problem with Stirling engines is that they are entirely based on a temperature difference. That means that they are only useful whenever there is a big difference between the inside and outside temperature.
However, that also means that they need to be built in between. And that causes troubles for the structure and the thermal insulation of the house.
In practice, most Stirling engines are located in roofs, and mostly in warehouses. Most of which are in Scandinavia. They are seldom used at homes.

heh, okay, kid.

>all that space
>1.5MW
>nothin personnel kid

AH-HAHAHAHAHA FAGGOT

They will turn all the mechanical energy given to them into heat. A 100%. Anything over that is most likely an error connected with the fact that someone neglected the kinetic and potential energy of the cold water stream going INTO the heater which is substantial.That energy is also essentially mechanical. And as anyone knows, you can turn all the mechanical energy you have into heat, but you can only get a fraction of mechanical energy out of a given quantity of "heat", depending on the difference of temperatures between you "heat" and the ambient, 1-T1/T2. Your cavitation heater is merely an entropy generation device, it makes no sense to use it. So I really hope this was bait.

They are great objects of study for people interested in thermodynamics and heat transfer. Stirling cycle is essentially a generalized Carnot cycle, which means that you can technically reach the maximum thermal efficiency for a given set of temperatures that the laws of nature would allow (I should not have to explain it on sci, but I think I have too looking at some the stupid posts; Carnot efficiency depends on the temperature difference). Unfortunately they are plagued by problems connected with the fact that the heat transfer area rise leads to a rise of dead volume in the engine. The Stirling will extract all the work it can of the heat you give it, but to give it this heat is a problem for that reason. This is also connected with their power density issues. But the upside is they are easy to build if you have access to a simple lathe, so a lot of people do that.

They used to make a lot of small stirlings to run sewing machines and such, as in pic related.

I take it its some kind of heat pump. Most heat pumps for water heating have over twice the heating capacity of their electrical input.

>If you're talking reliable as in they make little noise then yes, they're stealthy.
No. I mean reliable as in not failing. Mil. spec. is very much about reliability.

>Peltier generator pads
Resistive losses make these very inefficient. They are even considering using Stirling generators in radio isotope generators rather tan the semiconductors they use now.

>Yes, and maintenance costs go through the roof.
Citation needed, especially as they are conceptually very, very simple. Just what is the cause of the alleged problems??

>They are even considering using Stirling generators in radio isotope generators rather tan the semiconductors they use now.
NASA put the development of those on the back shelf a few years back, they're probably never going to fly.
It's kinda hard to blame them - the program was eating up a lot of money.