Dante Translation

How is C. H. Sisson's translation of The Divine Comedy? Was looking at the lengthy translation guide an user made and this translation wasn't on the list.

>reading poetry in translation
learn italian its fucking easy

>learning a language to read one piece of literature
wtf?

1. it's worth it
2. there is other good italian literature

Abiectissimus plebeiorum

No, razza di troll imbecille. L'italiano รจ una lingua molto difficile, e per uno straniero leggere l'italiano antico sarebbe come per un italiano leggere Chaucer in originale. Praticamente impossibile.

Lmao I don't speak a single Romance language and I understood 40% of what you just wrote.
Face it, Luigi, Italian is easy as fuck.

40%?
To me it looks like:
>don't listen to this imbecilic troll. Italian is very difficult, it's a strange language and even if you learn Italian it will be comparable to learning English and trying to read Chaucer in the original. It's practically impossible.

I don't speak a lick of any language but English.

That's the joke.

Must have been lost in translation.

Mama mia! Yousa americanos be eating a too mucha spaghetti hows do yousa know hows to speaka italianano?

I could understand every word of this as well. Seriously do I already know Italian? I'm going out and buying dante tomorrow

You got it wrong.

He said that "for a foreigner to read Old Italian is similar to an Italian who reads Chaucer in the original Middle English. Practically impossible".

Very different to what you said.

prove it, retard.

>Very different
No...

ITT: Italians on life support.

I read it and enjoyed it but im planning to read it again in another couple of translations.
Its pretty good and clear what is happening most of the time, it does a pretty good job of puttinf across the imagery and it has a really long set of notes for most of it so yea its pretty good but its blank verse so people will complain its not true to original or some other poser shitttttt

Yes it is. Read both again.

Why is the always a fucking Dante thread? Dante's the absolute worst classic there is.

Nothing happens. There's no story. There's no point. It's a bunch of summarizations and references to irrelevant shit. It's sophomoric theology. It isn't philosophy. It's the Enya of "world" literature. It isn't poetry
>unless you read it in the original Italian

Bloom recommends Sinclair's prose translation and before you go "prose," let me say that you're better off getting the precise meanings rather than getting the statements compromised in passable English poetry just because it's a poem.