ITT. Sci approved movies

What are some sci approved movies / documentaries?

Things that inspire you to either study X subject, or push you to aspire new things etc.

Pls respond

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2AfB1POoHZQ
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/MPC-HC
is.Veeky
youtube.com/watch?v=Ki59TX-Rt8s
sciencealert.com/tomatoes-peas-and-8-other-crops-have-been-grown-in-mars-equivalent-soil
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pic related was ok.

As far as the subject goes I guess it had a fair amount of information.

However, most of the homosexuality subplot took over by the last half of the movie.

Would've been more interesting to know more about the achievement itself and how it was made.

>Would've been more interesting to know more about the achievement itself and how it was made.
But that's boring

>t. brainlet

Kys yourself next time instead of posting.

Do you seriously expect normies to sit through a movie about some autistic fag building a machine they don't understand?

Yes.

>Westworld: The new series on HBO was quite good (it's not a movie, but still)

>ex machina: not as good as Westworld imo, but still pretty good

Both these movies have solidified my aspirations to contribute to creating a means to an end; a machine in our own image that will replace humans like we did to the neanderthals. Humanity can only chance as much as our operating system allows us to.

Ex Machina was waaaaay bettwen than Westworld. The only good part of Westworld was the set design.

The reason I liked Westworld better is because I feel like they went into greater detail into how the AI operates. They did a better job explaining how the humanistic qualities of the AI were synthesized, where as in Ex Machina they chose to leave it more vague overall.

those are brainlet tier movies, why do you guys watch this shit?

Hidden Figures

Interstellar was pretty accurate. Too bad it's such a horrendous piece of shit.

Really? I saw it in theaters and it left me breathless.

movies are made to make money and gay autusts are a very small minority of the population

hope u remembered to breathe again xD

List Five Movies that are superior to the two you decry?

What are not brainlet tier movies?

Straw Dogs 1971

>inspire
People still do this thing?
Just get to work you lazy fuck.

Starship Troopers
Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation
Starship Troopers 3: Marauder

The Back to the Future trilogy is some of the best sci-fi imo

This... May have the opposite of the effect you're looking for though.

Cube

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Primer is as close to a """realistic""" sci-fi time-travel mechanic you'll ever see. If nothing else, just following the plot is an interesting mental exercise. Well done for a little indie movie too, and unlike most sci-fi, certainly not tailored to the lowest common denominator.

You mean movies with actually interestingly illustrated scientific content? There are none, and it's just fine like that. You watch movies because you want to see a movie. If you want to learn something about science, read a paper or something.

that asuka tho

>Primer
Muh nigger!

youtube.com/watch?v=2AfB1POoHZQ

>Implying you can't watch a movie for "inspiration".

I mean half of what gets people into these fields is media they saw as a child, and plenty of adults watch movies for emotional impact, if nothing else.

There aren't a lot of good *educational* science movies for adults already educated in a particular field, though there's some for laymen, and plenty for kids - and there's plenty of inspirational movies for nearly everyone of every stripe, even if the bulk of them are intellectual equivalent of junk food.

Granted, most movies are also about the dangers of science, rather than the benefits. I'm sure some modern astronauts and cosmologists were nonetheless "inspired" by say Cosmos or even Contact.

Moon's pretty good, but yeah, more the consequences of science type of flick.

One of the best books ever.

Shit, only to think about it I am already in a space ship!

Contact is great.

This is a total spoiler, but I do like how it takes the opposite approach to the HAL9000 type of entity - where the semi-AI actually has more humanity than the humans that programmed it, simply because it's designed to maintain "Sam's" emotional wellbeing.

Was totally not expecting that.

No, just no.

What exactly should a movie like Moon inspire scientifically? I really don't see it. There may be Sci-Fi elements in the movie but it still doesn't make me think about science. The actual topics the movie deals with are of emotional or maybe philosophical nature. Scientifically it didn't inspire shit. If you are watching this sort of movie looking for that, then so be it, but I don't. Movies are movies, it's about characters, stories and relationships and stuff like that.

Best AI human can ever want.

Meh, I'll give you that it's definitely more emotionally driven movie than professionally inspirational, yes - there are movies that are otherwise, perhaps, but they are few and far between. Though nearly any sci-fi, even the bad ones, can inspire youngins not already trained in a particular profession to gravitate towards a certain field.

Still a good movie though - and maybe it'll inspire some angsty teen to develop a more human than human AI ruleset though, or some future genetic engineer to think twice about mass producing human clones. (Suddenly wishing this board had spoiler tags.)

>Veeky Forums is full of vlc shitters
This somehow doesn't shock me

>one guy captures with vlc
>he doesnt know that mpchc is capping black screen for some reason
>hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr vlc shitters hurrrrrrrrrrr
thank you patrician

>replace humans like we did to the neanderthals
Kinda wrong there, Neanderthals were cousins of sapiens, not ancestors.

It had some good points, but broke down into absolute, total horse shit about two thirds of the way through. Find it cringy and difficult to watch after that point.
As i said above, appreciate the first two-thirds, but when he doesn't get length contracted to oblivion by being anywhere near the black hole, you can stop relating it to science in any way.

Well, if the black hole is large enough, and devoid of surrounding incoming matter and energy (really being the bigger issue), you can, theoretically, enter the event horizon unharmed.

Albeit this particular black hole passes neither test. ...and then there's the tesseract "interact with my daughter backwards in time" crap, that fails even on the basic logic level, let alone science. But meh, LCD movie probably inspired some youngins at least.

>mpchc
Never heard of, I use MPV with custom settings instead

The prevailing idea just now is that you actually can't pass an event horizon unharmed, regardless of the radius. Part of the Black Hole Information Paradox.
But yeah, the reasons for him not being annihilated near to this black hole is a different one from why he wouldn't get annihilated (literally) from entering a larger one.

ah yes the patrician choice
>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/MPC-HC
also hello newfag.

Intersteller in 30 seconds:
is.Veeky Forums.org/wsg/1483139419797.webm

>implying I have windows installed, these pleb nowadays

haha well memed friend you did it nice! XD

whatever bud

Don't forget to add SVP so you can get that goofy 60fps pull-up, ya damned weeaboo!

is.Veeky Forums.org/wsg/1481499123932.webm

I dont even watch anime,just been here for 7 years and haven't change much since I read up on the wiki.

The Fountain
Triangle (2009)
Sunshine
Jakob's Ladder
Ex Machina

Absolutely civilian!
2deep4u
Nice1
Lame

spooky

I saw Jakob' Ladder once but I don't remember what it was about

The Martian was really dope.

NTG, and it's been decades since I've seen it as well, but IIRC, it was one of those flicks where the man's identity and sanity is just slowly disintegrating due to some guilt in his past that's gradually alluded to in brief chunks - going through hell to reach redemption sorta thing. Seemed more religious-philosophy oriented than science to me.

Not that it was bad... It's all a blur now though.

absolutely disgusting

>gentooman
>doesn't use mpv

Do you think that movie created more botanists?

I shit you not, I know some guys who went into engineering because they watched Iron Man in 2008.

Human Centipede, it's 100% medically accurate.

>gentooman
My life and work is organized around windows,i dont have the time to get out of my way because autism.

uh huh sure, however you should be familiar with the fact that mpv is available on windows as well and that your placebo madVR shit and memes such as SVP aren't saving you any time either

youtube.com/watch?v=Ki59TX-Rt8s

Despair code

nigger I dont even know what is your problem so..
I am very well aware of everything.

It was about a 'Nam veteran seeing strange things.

John Wick

Think he actually [spoiler]killed his son and died in nam[/spoiler].

AI
Cosmos
Pi

Sure. I just don't think that makes the movie horrendous. It makes it science FICTION.

>Pi
Is that the weird movie about stocks and some forbidden number with all the Jews?

Contagion was pretty accurate.
T. Epidemiologist.

What is the name of the movie with the Jewish guy who did math or computer coding or something? I remember him being at a bar talking to some guy about how Hebrew is the language of numbers.

I literally went into Nuclear physics after playing Fallout 3.

How did you like Outbreak?

Yup, that one, basically some autistic math nerd "memorizes"/unlocks the secret to Pi, and slowly goes insane. Not confused with "The Life of Pi" of course.

Fun thriller, but not exactly "inspirational". Also, for some of us, it may hit a little too close to home.

>Epidemiologist
Fuck you and your kind,I have only seen trouble with you niggers and I even have uncle that is epidemiologist.
All you people do is talk how about you guys suck my dick ok.
t.doctor

Not a movie but this book left me speechless.
It's sci-fi so there obviously have to be made up physics but they are more detailed than the knowledge that the average casual scienve channel (Vsauce/Veritasium etc.) covers in regard to actual physics

The problem with the book really was that it's just accurate enough to get all the meme nerds into the boat, but overall it was pretty much wrong. Starting with the fact that no earthly plant will ever grow in martian soil, especially not fucking potatoes.

sciencealert.com/tomatoes-peas-and-8-other-crops-have-been-grown-in-mars-equivalent-soil

The idea that Martian soil is "carbon eating" was debunked a long time ago.

Cube

Pi

The human and hospital-politics themes covered in the BBC drama Bodies are very much what doctors face. Some of the emergencies were not only realistic but hit a little bit too close to home. I know of doctors who would have something akin to a PTSD flashback watching that programme, myself included

Prime numbers, you guys. Prime numbers!

Fuck this shitty movie.

>Kill yourself yourself