Nobel Prize

This year the prize is mine.

Overrated. Like Japanese films, it LOOKS like a novel but there's really no content. It's pure imitation of American or European models without anything inside, like a replicant out of Philip K Dick.

>le japanese have no soul meme

Who's vivisecting whom, again?

I unironically enjoy his books

Who does Veeky Forums actually think will win it?

Who is Kurosawa

In a world where Alice Munro has got one it doesn't seem too far fetched that Murakami should get one too. Only one tiny problem, he's neither a woman nor black and his work can't really be politicized, though lucky Haruki

>Alice Munro
Care to explain a little about her.It just happens to be the chick i am currently seeing is dropping her name at every chance she gets.

She writes short stories where nothing happens in simple prose.

Female Canadian short story writer, has a couple of collections published, got a nobel prize in literature (why?), writes in a colloquial voice but her prose is not that good (it can be done well, e.g. Raymond Carver).

Her being super easy to read and most of her stories having a female (first person) narrator make her an excellent choice as a lecture for chicks (chicks with mighty high pseud potential that is)

Too me, this does describe Norweigan Wood. I really liked it, but there wasn't much too it.

Ngugi Wa Thiong'o has the second lowest odds at the betting companies and is a real candidate unlike memeakami.
Bloom says she's very good.

>implying a french author won't sweep the Nobel again

Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, and Kobayashi are pretty based. Ozu idk, his shit often feels like a bunch of vaguely animated paintings stitiched together.

Only two French writers won it in the last thirty years.

NOT SO FAST THERE OP

*teleports behind you*

That shouldn't be surprising given the current state of affairs in literature but it seems kind of strange that even some people here gush over her.

misogynist detected

based Karl

is the best greatest author currently alive? What will he do next?

You just wait...

Oh shit someone on Veeky Forums criticized Murakami, everyone look out for this free thinker here

>implying it won't go to hillary for no reason if she wins
Remember to vote Trump, folks if you want to preserve the integrity of the Nobel Prize.

>too
>too

this man, in my country, he is a man

This guy is going to win

Banville, Lobos Antunes, and Yevtushenko just had big jumps in the odds. Might be something there.

I doubt Murakami ever wins it.

narrator: i like whisky, play violin, speaks german, want to learn latin, love movies from the 30's. every. fucking. time.

>Like Japanese films
>It's pure imitation of American or European models
And yet the best filmmaker from Japan is so distinctly Japanese and non-western that it was assumed for years there was no audience for his films in the west. I can't tell if this is bait or if you have no idea what you are talking about.
Murakami is garbage though. I couldn't even finish Norwegian Wood or Kafka on the Shore they were so bad. (Other Japanese authors, like Soseki, Abe or Dazai are terrific though.)

Forgot to mention Akutagawa as well. His short stories are great. Also, as far as modern Japanese filmmakers go, Takeshi Kitano is very good and very Japanese.

When do you reckon it's going to be announced? They still haven't announced a date for it, but they have for every other nobel.

I was guessing thursday but it seems a bit close now.

Murakami is a hack, only true choice is pic related.

it's always announced on an october thursday, they say which on the monday before. so 13th at earliest, possibly 20th or even 27th.

too young, and even though he deserves it he's already had a lot of awards recognition and the nobel committee likes to spread things around.

it's not going to be a euro or anglo this year either

He has only very recently gotten translated to Swedish. Probably gonna take a while.

Remember who won in 2014? Modiano's books had barely been translated to English, let alone Swedish before he won the Nobel.

? it's oct 13th. been announced for a while.

I would hope Gene Wolfe, but it isn't happening.

Yes, but swedish literati can still read french, whereas there is little reason for them to know hungarian

My study break ends in 15 minutes.

tanks for info
nobelprize.org still says that it's not set

I would be suprised if Roth win.

he's already published the first of a quartet, one corresponding to each season. all he does is describe things like tables and shit. I'm not kidding, look it up. no english translation yet tho.