Anyone here prefer Virgil over Homer, or Latin literature over Greek?

Anyone here prefer Virgil over Homer, or Latin literature over Greek?

I know Borges preferred Virgil's Aeneid.

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/jilla.tequila/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

latin is more autistic than greek, that's for sure

I prefer the latins, Virgil is too goood

no, virgil is terrible and the aeneid is garbage. but seneca is better than euripides; terence, meander; catallus, sappho; suetonius, plutarch; tacitus, herodotus.

Who is this highly aesthetic female?

Can someone explain to me how Virgil is preferred to Ovid as the representative of Latin works?

bump

I really think they're apples and oranges. I don't think anyone can argue that Vergil is objectively better in every way, but it was painstakingly crafted by a genius. Homer is great, too, but in a much more raw way. Homer at his best is every bit as good as Vergil but he's more uneven.

Also the feel of Epic Greek is very different from Latin. Again it's rawer. It sounds like how a hero would actually speak. Vergil is so refined he's otherworldly at times.

I'll also say that when you read Homer you really feel like you are in another world and another time. You can see well enough in translation how differently the Homeric heroes thought and behaved but you see it even more in the language. That's a really cool feeling. Vergil can't do that because Vergil's time is so much closer to ours psychologically and spiritually.

I would also say Vergil is much more difficult to read in the sense that he constantly alludes to other things and speaks double. If you believe the later commentators he even has mystical secrets hidden in his lines.

Homer doesn't allude to anything except myths that you can look up on wikipedia - nothing to allude to, after all, being our protopoet.

Answer him OP

what is the best translation of homo

>If you believe the later commentators he even has mystical secrets hidden in his lines.

Is this referring to Dante claiming Virgil predicted Christianity/Christian Rome, or alluding to something else?

I'm talking about people like Macrobius, obviously this tradition made its way into Christianity in a different form but I don't know much about that. And these Latins were only riffing off what the Greeks had been doing with Homer for nearly a thousand years by that time.

It doesn't matter. You'll never meet her, you'll never be with her, you may as well jerk off to someone else

I should have added: the difference is that Homer was a wine-drinking bard who knew as much and as little about mysticism and philosophy as any other bard. Later Greeks tried to find secret messages in his poetry.

Vergil was an educated Roman who probably knew more than a little about philosophy and it's not completely incredible to me that his "ter quaterque beati" is numerological.

Your name xD

I'm volcel desu i just appreciate aesthetics

The political significance of the Aeneid

hey, i can see you guys are having your own conversation, may i interject as too what or who would be a good greek, Roman anything author or book to start with as im very interested but have no clue what to read first; i love mysticism and philosophy, be much appreciated to be pointed in the right direction

ovid is a rape apologist

there's no discernible talent

No. Not withstanding his technical skill at verse, Virgil is worthless as a storyteller compared to Homer.

Most latins/greeks were rape apologists then.

Rape was a very common theme in plays, and then it'd all turn out for the best cause while they originally thought the girl was a slut it's found out the main guy raped the girl earlier on and didn't tell anyone and it's his baby.

I know you're memeing of course.

I think you should read Ovid's Metamorphoses first because it's relevant to both Greek and Roman literature, and many of the stories are things we still know. Then go in chronological order with the major authors:

Homer, then Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, then go to the Romans and read Virgil and Seneca's tragedies. From there you have a lot of room to branch out to what you enjoyed. If you enjoyed the four epics here (Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, Metamorphoses) then you might want to look up the Argonautica or the Thebaid. If you liked the plays look into reading more of Euripides since there's something like 27 of his plays that are still extant.

That's just fictional stuff if you want to get into that. If you want philosophy find a book on the writings of the presocratics and then go in chronological order, from them to Plato to Aristotle.

>27
Last I checked there were 19. Has a new papyrus cache been found or something?

Thank you, helps a lot in figuring out where to start, to be specific im very drawn towards fiction with philosophical meaning and context, i've heard of most of what you've mentioned, again thank you.

"Jill from Amsterdam"

American Apparel Valentine's day lookbook.

Oh no, you're correct. I just had the wrong number.

>from amsterdam

interesting

I have a few at home that haven't been found anywhere else, I got them from my archaeologist father when I turned 18, I'm saving them in case I ever run into hard times.

>not preferring Akkadian over all of them

>not knowing the Akkadians themselves recognized Sumerian as the true patrician language

I like her back.

instagram.com/jilla.tequila/

Very disappointing desu

Is that Civ 6? Why do the characters look worse than in 5?

>instagram.com/jilla.tequila/
>boy hair
زييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييييي

this girl is incredibly good looking