Is the study of Physics just applied math?

Is the study of Physics just applied math?

No

Yes.

[Insert subject] is just applied English.

No. It used math for building and solving models.

Yes

No

maybe

YES of course everything is applied mathematics

Can you repeat the question?

No, that is just the field of mathematical physics.

Physics in general is applied applied math. They are two leves of des-abstraction below us. They are that inferior.

/thread

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW

>[Japanese] is just applied English.
Who knew?

Physics is science

Math is not science

Yeah, see how dumb that sounds? Saying that physics is just applied math is equally dumb.

Physics is applied math though. All you do in physics is memorize formulas.

Nice b9. I'm a physics grad student who has never memorized a formula on purpose. Sure I have things like the Euler-Lagrange equations and Maxwell's equations memorized, but if you understand the concepts, then in most cases, the mathematical framework pours out of your pencil.

>No, that is just the field of mathematical physics.

No it isn't. Applied math is applying math to solve problems in other fields.

For instance solving PDEs (either analytically or numerically) that come up in physics.

Mathematical physics is just pure math motivated by physical problems.

For instance studying existance/smoothness, asympotic behavior, etc. of PDE problems arising in physics.

>I have things like the Euler-Lagrange equations and Maxwell's equations memorized
lol so math truly is the only field that needs thinking
thanks

> lol so math truly is the only field that needs thinking

lol in math you just plug your question into wolfram alpha. It's so crazy--all of math has been solved. Why do people even study this?
thanks

When you do actual research in physics, it's almost always a clusterfuck of trial and error.
You don't get nice neat analytical solutions and you can't rely on theory alone to produce results.

When you do undergrad labs, everything is nice and neat and tidy because the experiments and theory are already there. The only purpose they serve is as an opportunity for you to learn how to use equipment.

It's completely backwards from the real world of research academic or industrial.

You also have the luxury of knowing that a solution exists and that the model you were told to use or derived will work well.

/thread

hello, i am from Veeky Forums, and i am qualified to talk about this subject because i watched exactly 2 youtube videos and read the wikipedia article about brane theory

reality is simply the macroscopic manifestation of the underlying mathematical principles

physics is the science of reverse engineering the mathematics of the universe based (more or less) on empirical evidence

this

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOOOW

>You also have the luxury of knowing that a solution exists and that the model you were told to use or derived will work well.

yes, except quantum mechanics which is like an retarded cousin of math

>I have things like the Euler-Lagrange equations and Maxwell's equations memorized
Pleb
EL literally takes only a couple of lines to derive

>solving PDEs
>numerically
>"""""""""""solving"""""""""""

You derive EL every time you use it? That's...sad. I can't use something hundreds of times without remembering it. Are you mentally deficient? I'm sorry to hear that. Whatever works for you I guess.

I remember what it should be from what the derivation requires as well as newton's laws

I guess I shouldn't trash you about that. That's precisely how I remember Hamilton's equations and roughly how I remember a bunch of other things.

Exactly, it's mostly how I remember where the minus signs should be
e.g. Hamilton's laws have the form pdot = dH/dq and qdot = dH/dp with a minus sign in one of them. And Newton's laws tell you that there should be a minus in front of dH/dq

>not using symplectic geometry to derive Hamilton's equations

[math]\omega=dq^{i}\wedge dp_{i}[/math]

> using symplectic geometry to derive Hamilton's equations