Do grades really define intelligence? I've met some really originally thinking people who have failed at the academy...

Do grades really define intelligence? I've met some really originally thinking people who have failed at the academy. Some of them are not by any means usable in commercial situation, but graded at hands-on experiments, they out-number anyone you can recall.

And I'm not talking about chef's, or anyone with particular hands-on experience on things, I'm talking about who are genuinely interested in physics.

How will you academic faggots challenge that? These people fluent, hunger in math?

Please, tell me.

Well, this is what will happen:

>entry-level positions

The guy with the grades and the verifiable research experience gets the job.

>in the future

The guy who is better at what he does gets the job.

It's that simple.

Between the periods of:
>Primary school to secondary school, not really, they only test memory and they normally only teach to pass tests, rather than to become 'educated'.
>After secondary school, into college and A-levels it becomes a test of knowledge and application. And is therefore somewhat more worthy, however, many of them only teach, once more, to pass tests.
>It isn't until undergraduate university in which innovation, application and knowledge are tested; this is the triad of genius.
>Yet, it isn't until graduate where innovation is truly tested.

American translation:
>Elementary school to junior high school, not really, they only test memory and they normally only teach to pass tests, rather than to become 'educated'.
>After junior high school, into senior high school it becomes a test of knowledge and application. And is therefore somewhat more worthy, however, many of them only teach, once more, to pass tests.
>It isn't until undergraduate college in which innovation, application and knowledge are tested; this is the triad of genius.
>Yet, it isn't until graduate where innovation is truly tested.

Therefore, we can concluded the answer is:
Somewhat, however, it is dependant upon the period of schooling in which those grades are taken.

Grades measure two things: Intelligence and dedication.

That said, having an outstanding intelligence or dedication and offset the need for the other quality when it comes for grades.

Grades don't necessarily define intelligence, but any semi-intelligent person who can see how the economic system works on the grand scheme and wants a high-paying low effort job will be able to see why they should apply themselves in school, at least long enough to get into a college while in high school, and long enough in college to get accepted to a grad school or get a job. This same person will also know when to cut their losses and not take on unnecessary risk, like going to college when a trade school may be the better option if they cannot land a scholarship for whatever reason. They'll also understand why they should force themselves to learn certain subjects they may find boring because they have high applicability in life, such as math, financing and investing, fitness, cooking, etc.

There's no need to be the perfect student acing everything and sucking dick for extra credit. There's clear diminishing returns once you're above a 3.5. However, at the same time you must always be aware that this doesn't mean you can get away by claiming "smart but lazy" in every situation. There is a point where being lazy isn't smart, and that's when you've dug yourself into a hole that you cannot climb out of, like having a 2.0 or below GPA as a junior or senior in highschool. Someone smart foresees situations and takes action which is at the very least appropriate enough to continue progress.

But are there still ''good paying''-standart-jobs in our day and age?

Elaborate on what you mean by standard. Do you mean blue collar? If that is the case, then yes, there are a handful of skilled blue collar jobs such as welding, plumbing, and electrical work which have near constant demand and good consistent pay. You can improve on this even more by starting your own business and collecting a higher share of on what you charge the customers, rather than whatever wage your boss hands out.

What was your dream job while applying for whatever you were studying?

You can make good money being a physics major in Europe, given you can speak some language besides english. Spanish? French? German?

>You can make good money being a physics major in Europe, given you can speak some language besides english. Spanish? French? German?

Even a german physic major is having difficulties getting employed in Germany. Master, Doctorate/PhD. - you're basically forced to get a job in the industry outside of your subject area in IT. This applies to 95% of all people people here majoring in physics.

Is that really so? I was planning on majoring in Physics, as I love applied math to space&black holes, but I was also considering studies in Medicine.

Living the physics life in Germany is not easy. I even know a few personally which just ended up jobless for quite a while or still are. But that's Germany. Here working in academia is really depressing since you're basically forced to leave after 6 years with no chances of return. Like I said if you love physics and wanna do physics, you'll find a way for the sake of education. But just for the education.

If you want job stability a CS minor or something else would be fitting. Atleast some other skillsets are necessary to make yourself appealing and eventually to have something up in your sleeve. But considerung German education system 3 years BSc + 2 yrs. Master + 4 yrs Doctorate (if you get everything on the right time on the right track and don't need to extend) the risk is way higher than with Medicine.

I like the mix of applied/theory mixed in medicine, I'm finnish, but I can speak swedish, english and some spanish, so I'm not sure what I'm not qualified of.

I'd like to work in Norway or Spain, if that makes any sense.

French is always nice, so. have you ben to montpellier

I have. Got robber of 20euros.

I had 2.0 gpa in highschool and a 3.8 in college.

I was a pothead in HS.

From my experience, a lot of the """smart""" people are just really good cramers and couldn't apply anything they learned to a real world situation or make theories in the subject matter they get good grades on.

That being said, I met some people that were excellent in grades (For the most part) and could make their own theories in subjects they took, and were genuinely smart people.

If you can make theories that actually work in the subject matter you are taught, or at least take on, then I believe you are smart.

If you can get good grades and do the above then I believe you are smart, wise, and better than most.

Are you Trump fanboy? Where are you from?

steven hawking got bad grades (equivalent of low 90s high 80s) at his god-tier school and didnt study much, and on the exams he only answered theoretical questions and nothing applied or "plug-n-chug"

hope this helps

No idea who this Failed Steven hawking is, surely he denied the existence of all black holes?

I hear he got choked out by famous physicist Jean Belle during a heated debate on brown holes, and he shit his pants and was paralyzed from the neck down ever since.

I don't consider myself to be more intelligent than average, but I am great at academics. Seriously, there were subjects I would suck at in college, but always got an A simply because I'm dedicated enough to put the work in.

There is a correlation between being smart and being good at academics, but it's just a correlation.

Stupid people can get good grades and smart people can fail.

Don't be discouraged if you aren't getting the results you want. If you are really worried about GPA, find a professor to work with and try to get a good letter of recommendation out of the deal.

H U R T
U
R
T

People with good grades are smart enough to see good grades matter.

That sounds like an abysmal weak contribution t: Finn.

>Do grades really define intelligence?

Hahaha of course not. Only on Veeky Forums would this be a serious question.

Or they're obedient sheeple who do what they're told, you utter fucking moron.

>I'd like to work in Norway or Spain, if that makes any sense.
>Spain

Why do you want to come to this shithole?

tal vez hay agujeros del demonio que son peores que espaƱa, no crees?

A smart person knows when it's best to follow the herd for their own benefit amd break off when they know they can do well enough outside of it, not out of some fabricated "sheeple" mentality.
Anyone that has a borderline failing GPA and plays the "sheeple" argument only fucked over themselves.

>Maybe Somalia is worse

Yeah, no shit.

Yes and No, good grades shows that you have enough understanding of the material at hand. But the material at hand isn't always highly rigorous.

Also like any system you can find various methods to exploit it which inflates one's actual competency in it.

No, and they're not trying to define intelligence either, only dedication.

Imagine how unfair the world would be id only intelligent people succeed.

No. I AM A Jeb! HEAD

Grades define how much did you studied during your course and you ability of memorization.

I would think that being able to find methods for exploiting the system to inflate reports on competency would be indicative of a greater competency on a meta-level. You're smart enough to know when to stop trying but still smart enough to know you have to give the appearance that you're trying through maintenance of a reasonably high GPA.

A true measure of competency in academics would be to tell someone they have to get as close as they can to something like a 3.54 GPA in the +/- scale environment over 60 credit hours, and grading according to how close the student gets to the desired GPA, sort of like playing darts. Then it becomes a dual measure of competency of subject and how competent they are in the inner workings of the system they are in.