Post the most fedora book youve ever been recommended

Post the most fedora book youve ever been recommended

Vonnegut in general
Neil Stephenson too

Snow crash is excellent, Stephenson is top-tier at imagery

His prose is laughable, his plots are boring, his characters are unfunny caricatures.

Mein Kampf

Art of the Deal.

Infinite Jest by Dallas Ft. Worth airport.

something by dawkins, i can't remember

bloodmeridian

The last thing you said is true, that's it

ceo of my company recommended this to me. do I find a new job?

do you work in tech

This I love that book

Fight Club

Ayn Rand

I've tried to tell them she's shit, especially compared to other classical liberals.

>They Never Listened

>black lesbian nerd caractet
3 in 1, done

I think I found it in a threat like this one actually. "What's the most fedora book you've ever read?" And it was posted, so I downloaded it and read about half of it. Absolutely terrible. Even if you are a nihilist (an ultra-edgy one or not), this is not the kinda shit you should read. There is a long section on Lovecraft at the end, though, which might interest some people. I didn't read it. One of the few books I didn't finish.

>look up the summary
>it's western SAO

This fucking book... I've never cringed so hard in my life

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Reposting some excerpts from an archived thread, I audibly cringed towards the bottom of pic related.

I know 2011 is somewhat long ago now (especially with how quickly we go through shit these days), but surely the whole "god's not real your parents lied" thing lost its shock and novelty by then.

I don't mind pop culture references in principle, they have their place as world-building for near-future SF and the personal flavorings of authors.

Here he seems to just be rattling off a list of things he found in "best of the 80's" lists, it's like a bunch of Family Guy jokes smashed together. It would be a nice author quirk if he had a handful of 80's franchises he was into, but this is forced as fuck.

fuck off faggot.

>programming an Atari game
>implying everyone in the time of the book isn't just gonna use pre-built engines or at least some pretty extensive higher-level language libraries

Where is this from?

I'm a dumb enough nigger to decide to read this book myself to see what's so bad about it. Holy hell, the worst thing is actually the constant stream of author's reddit-tier worldview, stuff like ALL THEISTS ARE DUMB FUCKS LOL AMIRITE GUYS??? that looks like someone is begging for an upboat

Phaderus is the most unlikeable character i've ever experienced. Fuck you for recommending this book to anyone. The fact that Pirsig believes that he can imprint all the knowledge he has at age (40) to his 11 year old son invokes a kind of disgust that words cannot describe. Imagine growing up with a father like Pirsig?

Ready Player One, the book in OP.

>using terms like "reddit-tier"
How's the Veeky Forums bandwagon "hating on reddit and being a contrarian XDDD" going?

>bandwagon
>contrarian
see, that's what I meant

To be fair Reddit's been an insult around here so much that it's useful shorthand for describing certain attitudes, kinda like Fedora, regardless of the actual content of Reddit. It's like how saying something is Tumblr doesn't necessarily mean it's like its many apolitical blogs.

To be honest I get the vibe this is all nerd shit Cline liked as a kid, since all the references are dated as shit (especially the anime and video game ones, Jesus Christ). He was probably rightly bullied for being an obnoxious nerd and now made a "badass" version of himself that likes all the shitty dregs of society that he did.

Yeah but he hasn't changed at all. Look up "Ernest Cline dance monkey" if you don't believe me.

>imagine growing up with a father like Pirsig
>mfw I did

As I said earlier, this is pretty clearly western SAO, except that had cute animu grills at least, and as dumb as the setting was it wasn't babby's first reading about Peak Oil.

It's pretty clearly doing an 80's thing, so it can't really be criticized for being dated, it's the "reference fucking everything" approach that bothers me. People who get fascinated with every bit of pop culture from an era are doing so looking back, they weren't into everything in its time.

Then again, I can see a man growing up in the 80's, being into certain 80's things like Transformers, and then remembering his childhood and delving into other 80's things he overlooked, exactly the after-the-fact nostalgia I'm describing. I could see myself in that position making a really early 2000's-y easter egg hunt featuring things kid me didn't really care for.

I'm saying it's doing an '80s thing because Cline can't let go of his nerdy shit childhood and so he has to use this "badass" character to feel validated in his like of garbage.

>sullying They Might Be Giants with this shit

Also I'll confess I think of them more as a 90's thing because I grew up on their Flood era.

I know that's the author's motivation, I'm just trying to make in-universe sense of it.

One of my shitty character ideas is a cyberpunk mercenary who fights for megacorporate consumerism partly based on fond childhood memories, so I can't be too harsh on nostalgia-tripping in principle.

>I voted to reelect ... Wil Wheaton

nearly vomited reading this, what the fuck

>devo took a little longer
why do fedoras always have to reference things I like?

Since he namedrops him, how good is Orson Scott Card? I only read his short story West and it was pretty straightforward post-apocalyptic wasteland wandering.

>that titanic line ripped directly from fightclub

I mean, at least he had the decency to switch it from 'polishing the brass' to 'arranging the deckchairs', even if it sounds 100 times worse

"Arranging the deck chairs" seems to pop up as a common expression pretty frequently, so he may not be quoting Fight Club in that case. Or maybe he is, since the book is a mass of pop culture references.

Rearranging deck chairs is a pretty popular idiom. Doesn't in any way validate the writing, but still.

I'm not one for YA lit at all, but has anyone ever read MT Anderson's "Feed". The way characters can only think and speak in soundbytes and pop culture references feels exactly like what's used in Ready Player One, but there it's both unironic and not meant as a cautionary tale like it is in feed.

This book is pure fedora

yes

this meme again

Had to read it for a book club. Easily the worst thing I've ever read.

Fighting for megacorporate consumerism is at least mildly amusing.

Ender's game is considered great by most YAfags, but I found it insufferable.

Same, I thought it wouldn't be too atrocious from it's toned-down cover for a YA book, but again the old saying was proven right

I'm thinking of it as a character study, going into where these cyberpunk mercenaries fighting for blatantly corrupt systems come from, but there'd probably be at least one scene of him kicking in a door while All Star plays.

I guess West wasn't the best starting place, other than the Mormonism it's cliche if you've grown up with Fallout and shit like that. It's the Seinfeld is Unfunny problem.

>it's about low-class workers on Mars

>tfw a qt girl recommended Ready Player One to me
>I literally told her it didn't sound very good

Did I fuck up

>not being the alpha male and trashing her taste
>not bringing her back to your place and fucking her with your copy of Infinite Jest

Yeah no. She is probably never going to talk to me about books again, though.

>everyones a liar, authority sucks, fuck the older generation!

so thats why reddit loves this book

It's weird being immersed in Veeky Forumscore for years and then suddenly reading excerpts from a normalfag book

>I burned the midnight oil. Did you know that Midnight Oil was an Australian band, with a 1987 hit titled “Beds are Burning”?

just horrible

None of those things are necessarily wrong. It's just a faggy teen attitude of being obnoxious about them that defines plebbitors.

OMG, it's like, I start reading it and immediately I'm hooked because I'm like "What's OASIS?" He keeps mentioning OASIS. I wonder what that could be. And then I hear that Wil Wheaton is a part of of it. Super cool. It really peaks my curiosity. Too bad Barnes & Nobel is already closed, or I would drive over there and buy this right now. Put that on the to do list for tomorrow lol. I can't believe I've never heard of this before.

10/10, satire indistinguishable from reality

it is wrong if you think of those things as essentially universal truths

I work in a bookstore, I recommend this to teenagers when their parents tell me they don't read and they want them to read something.

I think it's better if people read garbage that they enjoy rather than not read at all, although I definitely question it when I read things like the excerpts posted.

I'm a fucking turbopleb who probably shouldn't even be here and the prose disgusts me.

>At least her fans are momentarily emancipated from their screens, and so may not forget wholly the sensation of turning the pages of a book, any book.

I can't begrudge you too much since it's your job, but even within YA territory there's got to be less bad.

There are literally LN's with more literary merit, you could hit a lot of the same basic notes with Haruhi or Log Horizon.

>grouping Kubrick with all those shit directors

YA is pretty much universally shit. Tweens would be better off reading plebby airport fiction like Stephen King or James Patterson than YA.

>And of course, Kevin Smith
>I memorized every last Bill Hicks stand up routine

Many teenage boys these days are amazingly apathetic about non-video game things. Usually the only reason they get it is because they've heard about it a lot and maybe some of their friends told them it's good. These are the kinds of customers who it's hard to even get to look at the cover.

Obviously you didn't understand it