Literally my life

Literally my life.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ptnv250tn5Y&ved=0ahUKEwiLmvXC95LSAhVIHGMKHYl_Dy4QwqsBCBwwAA&usg=AFQjCNHlcJqU69a0Gq7vNHWw6yL1wEv3Dw&sig2=1aSvVlHyd8o3Bqx8ZZAOyw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Make your brat eat it. Let them fucking starve until they do.

I don't have kids I'm just a NEET.

So you're the one wanting plain ass pasta? You gotta work on that, man.

I was like that until my wife lost it one night and screamed at me.

The comic is stupid. Puttanesca is meant to be a quick meal to prepare, so only a retard would spend "all day" making it. It's name suggests it's something a woman would quickly throw together after a day out whoring around. Also it isn't served with cheese.

So the adult character is as retarded as the fussy little shit kid. But the underlying point that kids have shit taste is true.

It's just an exaggeration to play up how frustrating it is when the kid doesn't even try it.

get a load of this guy

I get it, but the author obviously doesn't know shit about Italian cooking, because he chose a classic Italian quick sauce as something that takes all day to make, then serves it with cheese, which an Italian would never do. It may be just a comic, but it doesn't have to be inadvertently a way to show the author's ignorance.

Why wouldn't italian serve pasta with cheese? why are italians so anal about pasta? they flip out if you add oil or salt to pasta. what the fuck is wrong with you

Because the sauce has anchovies in it. While you can find many exceptions to the "no cheese on fish dishes" rule in Italian cuisine it would apply here.

They do serve pasta with cheese, but that would be a totally different recipe than Puttanesca.

The problem is that the comic is colluding two totally different recipes. Puttanesca, by definition, does not contain cheese.

Dude just stop posting.

He's right, though.

If we're not allowed to care about food and cooking on a food and cooking board, maybe you should take it to /co/ or something.

>Puttanesca, by definition, does not contain cheese.
And French fries, by definition, don't contain ketchup. What's your point?

kill yourself

Kek

Traditional dishes generally have specific definitions of what they are and aren't Generations of grandmothers and cooks worked this shit out. If you don't have any food traditions it might be difficult to understand. Go back to your BBQ chicken pizza.

Only fucking autists care about food rules.
Every time someone complains that something is not authentic i want to punch them in the face.
Just eat the fucking food

I see your point but its fucking bullshit and stifling.
The nice thing about america is we tossed that bullshit out years ago.
Food traditions are just a jumping off point unless you have zero creativity.

>All food was perfected a century ago any any changes are automatically bad

Anchovies and parmesan isn't automatically bad

It's just bad

The name of a dish should convey to the hearer a sense of what the dish will be. If you've eaten puttanesca and request puttanesca, but are presented with bolognese, you won't be pleased.

The same with the name of anything, really. If you say I want a dog and someone presents you with a cat, you're going to be pissed.

It's usually made worse though. Your "throwing out tradition" means the same as "dumping cheese, fat, cream and high fructose corn syrup over food"

Wrong
Look at anchovie pizza , always better with parm

Only an autist sees the world this way.
Shades of grey user, learn the subtleties

You're allowed to make as many changes to a dish as you want. At that point however, you shouldn't call it the same name. Because it's different.

Wrong

behold, penne allarrabbiata, made in america

Grating parmesan onto some puttanesca doesn't change the name of the dish underneath it. Sure, you can be annoyed if you order something and it comes with parmesan on top you didn't want or ask for, but there's no reason to be annoyed at someone eating puttanesca with parmesan and calling it as such.

By your logic, we should come up with new names to pigeonhole every possible combination, preparation and serving of ingredients, unless prepared in a vacuum with industrial grade sterilisation.

As long as the basic defining elements are there, you can make all the changes you please.
No need to follow some naming rule book

>I see your point but its fucking bullshit and stifling.
No it isn't. There's no police in your kitchen forcing you to cook traditional dishes. You can just make shit up if you want. But if you do and call your creations by the names of traditional dishes people will call you out on it.

Think about it like this: tradition gets passed down because it's good enough to stand the test of time. In places like France and Italy the traditional food is so good it's revered. People are quite happy to eat traditional food on a regular basis. In a place like Spain it lives side my side with modern cooking a little easier.

The value of traditional foods has a lot to do with how rich a region's cooking traditions are. The cooking in Louisiana would be an American example of American food traditions that go deep enough to be revered. And for good reason - that food is fucking great. And when I want to eat gumbo or red beans and rice I want the traditional style, not someone fucking with the dishes. If you're inspired by that food and want to make up your own dishes influenced by it that's great. But if you pass off your creations as traditional people will call bullshit on you. Rightly so.

>people will call you out on it.
Not where i live.

This proves the entire argument. If the original name of a standardized dish based on centuries of tradition, is used for some bastardization, then communication breaks down and we're left with the tower of babel. We can communicate because names for specific things denote that exact thing to speaker and listener.

>I want the traditional style, not someone fucking with the dishes
This is because you are autistic

>people will call bullshit on you. Rightly so.
No, no one cares except a few autists that you dont really want in your restaurant anyway.

>not where I live

Because in flyoverville no one knows the name of any dish outside of hamburgers, hotdogs and tendies.

Except that is not real and there is no impending crisis except in you autistic brain.
Please take an online autism test and stop posting

Not really. It's why 'Italian' and 'Italian-American' fooods are defined differently.

>Wah people not accepting my cream, peas and hotdog carbonara are autistic wah

This is you right now.

Go to los angeles or new york and try a nice restaurant on any street.
Your rules will be broken in all the good ones.

No one is making these dishes except your silly imagination.
Take the test

Yes but those are American restaurants. Not Italian or Spanish or Indian or Chinese but American, creating dishes for American palates with ingredients that are easier for them to get hold of. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not the same thing anymore.

>Only an autist sees the world this way.
Not at all true when it comes to codified traditional cuisines like you find in France and Italy. What many of these dishes are is pretty firmly established.
You can't grasp the idea, because you live with cheese on everything as a default. That's not how it works everywhere. In traditional cooking even the garnishes are pretty specific. In Italian cooking specific cheeses are used in specific situations, and in some no cheese at all is stipulated. Even though it's unfathomable to most Americans on some Italian pasta dishes (usually seafood ones) cheese is never used.
Think of it like this. When you eat at a chain restaurant you go there because you know exactly what you're going to get. McDonald's tastes like McDonald's. Traditional cuisines offer a similar assurance, just on a much higher level. When I'm in the mood for something more daring or interesting I just choose a restaurant that isn't doing traditional food. The risk with that is that it takes a damned fine chef to beat dishes so good they lasted for hundreds of years.
It's tough to understand the value of tradition if you've never experienced it.
This. Just because someone lives in a place where they're unaware of that distinction doesn't meat it doesn't exist.

Food is about what tastes good, not what people did with it hundreds of years ago. Note that all this shitposter does is ad hom and "it's not traditional", with almost no mention of what tastes good or doesn't.

>It's tough to understand the value of tradition if you've never experienced it.

Its tough to imagine the freedom from letting go of tradition if you have never experienced it.

>why won't you eat [x]
>because it looks weird

But traditional regional foods are a matter of culture and identity for many people. Even in the US there are examples of this. Think about your family's Thanksgiving dinner. Imagine the reaction you'd get if you started fucking around with that meal and maybe you can begin to understand the role food plays in some cultures.

I wouldn't really care if they fucked around with the turkey as long as it tasted good, I've even had a year where my thanksgiving dinner had no turkey.

The only valid point you ever had was that you have to specify that it isn't traditional (Puttanesca + cheese), but you always make it sound like non traditional is always bad and anyone who has a cosmopolitan pallete has trash taste.

That deep fried turkey i made fucked them up so bad they had seconds.

I think you're 100% right and the people you're arguing with are a bunch of prissy retards with no respect for food or culture.

I knew the second someone mentioned puttanesca that all the pretentious fucks would come crawling out of the woodwork.

Have you ever been to america?
Most people are sick of turkey and make something else.
Everyone is keen to re invent every single dish.
Green chile mashed potatoes.
Garlic tarragon stuffing
Sweet potato biscuits.
Whoresradish in the cranberry.
Most educated people dont care about tradition.
Its just a silly old person meme.

>no respect for food or culture.
Half right, i repect food, old cultures are meant for the museum.

Or for the smallpox blankets right?

Just because America has no culinary traditions doesn't mean other countries have to start changing to suit your expectations.

You won't get anywhere. Improvement to these people is adding cheese fat and cream to things that don't need it.

>you always make it sound like non traditional is always bad and anyone who has a cosmopolitan pallete has trash taste.
Nothing is further from the truth. Some of the best meals I've had in my life were in places where the chef was making non traditional food or riffing on traditions in a new way. I'm just saying discounting respect for tradition as autism is a level of ignorance that usually accompanies trash taste. Because most great food is informed by a tradition if not a part of one. Sure, being too reverent toward tradition can be stifiling, and you will hear Italian cooks complain about that. Then you go to a region with a traditional cuisine you see why people choose not to fuck with it, and are thankful they didn't. Go to NOLA, or just about any region in France or Italy. The traditional food is so good you'd need a god tier chef to beat it. And of course such chefs exist. But their restaurants are often more expensive than the very good traditional ones.
>Have you ever been to america?
I live here
>Most educated people dont care about tradition.
>repect food, old cultures are meant for the museum.
Maybe so, but before putting them behind the glass you can learn the secrets of their deliciousness. This shit is rarely arbitrary - things were done specific ways for specific reasons. Good to get a handle on that before you consider them relics. Because there's no reason to reinvent the wheel if you don't have to.
Not where I live. They aren't chained to it, but take pride in being aware of it.

This exactly what happens to me. I spend all day making food and my wifes son comes home, refuses to eat it and I end up making frozen tendies instead.

Now you are just backtracking

It's the defensiveness that comes from ignorance. "If I don't know about it then it can't be all that important and you're just trying to make me feel uncultured." Put more cheese on it, preferably the cheapest stuff possible.

>Go to McDonalds
>Order a McChicken
>Be served a BigMac
>Complain
>Be told it's the new take on McChicken and that I'm autistic for expecting chicken in my McChicken, there is no "traditional recipe" with chicken and replacements are to be accepted by true 'Muricans because there is the "general idea" of a McChicken
>Tip, get shot, walk the dinosaur, etc.

Then you'll tell me it's OK to deconstruct recipes, is that right?

What you're doing is making chocolate ice cream while calling it vanilla, and then tell people to fuck off if they disagree.

Puttanesca means a very specific thing, adding other ingredients to it is fine to me. But it's not puttanesca anymore.

Not at all. Puttanesca is a traditional dish. I'm sure an anchovy-tomato-cheese pasta could be delicious. But it won't be puttanesca, because it's a traditional dish that does not have cheese in it. If you want to make it up you gotta name it, too.

The only ones defending anything are the autists with thier "traditions".
Look up defensive in the dictionary user.

>assumes culinary tradition is valueless
>attacks those who respect it as autistic, and possibly unamerican
>passive aggressive
What part of the Midwest are you from?

Sure didn't seem like it from the previous comments of yours. I'm glad to see that you've mellowed out.
The word is backpedaling

There's nothing wrong with any of those things, but none of those are specific named dishes, made up of certain combinations of ingredients.

I was reacting to posters entirely disregarding the value of tradition when it comes to cuisine, which is absurd.

First you are talking to at least two if not more anons.
My position is that trational dishes are a great jumping off point and changing them up a bit is no reason to go searching for a new name.
Not sure if that is enough respect for you.

>puts burger patty on bun with cheese
>"thats a cheeseburger"
>adds lettuce, mayo and dash of ketchup
>*autistic ragefit ensues*
>"thats not a fucking cheeseburger holy fuck muh tradition RRREEEEEEE!

Wait, burgers didn't originally come with lettuce?

>the i need to argue something totally not the same so i can have an argument argument

That really depends on your audience. If you're serving your take on ratatouille to someone from Provence, and you've taken some liberties with it they will tell you it's not ratatouille. If you're serving it to someone who only knows Thomas Keller's deconstruction of the dish from the movie you're fine.

Depends how you define "changing up a bit" if you mean slightly changing some ingredients for similar alternatives and flavours or whether you mean "I'm changing the pasta for sweet potato and the parmesan for maple syrup"

You keep suggesting all these outlandish combintations when all thats really happening is someone is sprinkling a bit of parm on top of pasta putanesca.

Guys, it's fucking food.

To most Italians that would be outlandish.

The word you're looking for is conflating

I doubt they would sperg out half as bad as you did.

>get to cook for enjoyment
>end up eating tendies
I don't see the problem???

You're so retarded it hurts.

You've never hung with Italians. There's only one right way to do anything, and that's exactly how their grandma did it. Veer from that and you're probably ruining the dish.

Sounds like i am not missing much.

>throws autistic fit
>"You're retarded! Rrrrrrreeeeee!"
Pic related: The time Louis Theroux visited you and your mom

I have to say, i dont see any value in that attitude.

Raw footage of an italian man at Bobs Big Boy
google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ptnv250tn5Y&ved=0ahUKEwiLmvXC95LSAhVIHGMKHYl_Dy4QwqsBCBwwAA&usg=AFQjCNHlcJqU69a0Gq7vNHWw6yL1wEv3Dw&sig2=1aSvVlHyd8o3Bqx8ZZAOyw

When those grandmothers were good cooks at the very worst, and many excellent cooks it makes sense. These women didn't cook with the wisdom of one person - they had generations of region specific information powering them. Here are the dishes we make when we're knee deep in fava beans, here are the dishes for when the artichokes come in. This is how you make the pasta to serve the family every Sunday night. Here's how you make the sausages that get hung in the chimney in late fall. These women knew way more than someone with reasonably good taste just dicking around in the kitchen. They knew what dishes to make when, varying things up by what's in season. They knew where to get and how to best show off the local products.

The closest thing we had to that in the US would have been 19th Century farmhouse cooking, and the last of that disappeared during the Depression. If that had had a few more centuries to develop it could have given what these grandmothers a run for their money. But history didn't work out that way for us.

Yes they would lol

Fucking cultureless Amerifats man.

Because Veeky Forums's favorite past-time is literally triggering Italians?

Thats all well and good but its time to grow up.
An entire country that only does things like granny did is doomed to failure.
Times change.

I think he also made the pasta, so it may have taken a while. I haven't made pasta from scratch but I imagine it could take a while.

You would literally be openly mocked to your face for putting cheese on top of spaghetti alla puttanesca.

And deserve it.

You cultureless Amerifat.

>mama mia! the pasta supposed to have a no cheese
>screeching ensues

...is this Irish Stew Guy?

>An entire country that only does things like granny did is doomed to failure.
Agreed. But if you can't cook better than granny then you'd be pretty fucking wise to learn from her before she's gone and all that wisdom dies with her.

Hell, I'm not even Italian and I've cribbed as much as I could from the Italian (and even Italian American) grandmothers I've met.

Smoking on the toilet and communicating with your family exclusively in shouting does not constitute culture, Vinnie.

That's so fucking true and it doesn't just end with food. My gf's family is Italian and they (including her) always feel the need to do things the way their parents/grandparents did it. For example, my gf wants 2 kids (because her parents had 2 kids) and she wants 2 girls (because her parents had 2 girls). She wants to go vacation the same place she's always gone vacation and she wants a detached house because her parents always had a detached house. She make some nasty dishes over and over because that's what her parents made and trying to get her to venture outside of what she was used to eating (which was all very carb heavy and sugary stuff) was a fucking chore. Italians are just super tribal by nature for some reason and they basically refuse to change or alter anything even if it'd be obviously better for them.