Joyce questions

I heard that Ulysses is a very difficult read, though I enjoyed Dubliners a lot and I absolutely loved portrait. Is there any more of his work you guys recommend I read before jumping into Ulysses?

be sure you read his letters to Nora
it explains a lot

Nope

I wouldnt be scared of Ulysses if you had a positive response to his other works either

you might not enjoy it, but the worst that could happen is you read x pages and then decide to stop

the thing is that for a lot of activities like skiing/mountaineering etc you run the risk of biting off more than you chew. you can choke on literature certainly, but you can't choke AND die; so i wouldnt take your lit choices so seriously/gravely

Portrait is the only prerequisite. You might benefit from refreshing your memory on Hamlet but it's not imperative. Contrary to what people will say the Odyssey is not necessary, as in: you won't see it if you don't specifically look for it, and you won't get more out of looking for it while reading than after reading.

It's not that difficult to read, brah.
It's just that the references of the era might go over your head.
Get an annotated version if you must.

One book that might help more is the Odyssey.
But even then it's not that important.

What are some books that give the same feel as 'The Dead'?

Do you recommend any specific translations for the Odyssey? I've only ever read a very brief summary of the events

I think it's most useful to be accustomed with high modernist prose when reading Ulysses, more so than trying to get all the super sekrit allusions. Have a read of something like As I Lay Dying or Mrs. Dalloway.

so if the allusions dont add anything...whats the point of em?

pic related

but they do user

They don't add anything to the plot that one would miss otherwise, but allusions provide pleasure when recognised.

Should one read The Illiad before reading the Odyssey?

I have read To the Lighthouse and found it to be a great read, how does Mrs. Dalloway compare?

Even as german native speaker, it wasn't difficult at all. I really don't understand the memes surrounding his work, not bad of course, but something excellent and unice, i don't think so.

best edition of ulysses?

Some people think it's her masterpiece.

Those people didn't read To the Lighthouse, though.

It´s most difficult aspect is its seemingly fracmentary method of narrative, besides that the constant references to certain other works of literature may befog its significance. Though I don't think that hinders the reading of Ulysses.

You should read the Iliad, but you don't necessarily have to read it before the Odyssey, nor do you have to read it for Ulysses

>Wasting your time reading autism books.

If Ulysses isnt diffiuclt...IN YOUR SECOND LANGUAGE...theres no such thing as difficult

nah dog gotta read Hobbes for that dank Thucydides

>Is there any more of his work you guys recommend I read before jumping into Ulysses?

'Odyssey' is essential. 'Hamlet' is useful but not necessary. Read that 'Ulysses Annotated' by Don Gifford alongside it. That is essential if you want any kind of deep reading of the work. There is a lot you're going to miss without it.

Really 'The Odyssey' and 'Ulysses Annotated' are the two essential works you absolutely need going in. Have fun. It's an amazing and worthwhile book.

Finnegan's Wake

>'

stop that.