Virginia Woolf is a more effective writer than James Joyce because she does not rely on

>Virginia Woolf is a more effective writer than James Joyce because she does not rely on
elaborate language devices that ultimately confuse and alienate the reader.

-my prestigious PhD English teacher who went to yale and harvard.

Veeky Forums utterly BTFO

None of you faggots have the credentials to dispute her claim.

How do you feel that you're fucken done?

>implying

Try reading either first

Do your own homework sweetie, you can play on the internets later.

effective*

*only when this word is interpreted in such a way as to suggest what woolf tries to achieve in writing is more successful than the attempts of joyce

i mean i'm sure the argument has a bit more meat to it but hiding it behind the use of the word 'effective' is not a postgrad move, unless i severely overestimate postgrad

>dispute her claim
>her claim
>her

Noted.

appeal to authority fallacy

try again

It's a personal opinion, m8. Can totally see preferring Woolf over Joyce.

I feel like James and Nora just look so painfully but effortlessly cool, like they're some super cool underground indie band, in that picture. And I mean painfully in the sense it causes you to desperately wish you could be like them in some way. So I put the kind of comments from such people as massive jelly on their part.

Here's Woolf being tryhard fedora af for comparison.

>itt: people who haven't read Joyce or Woolf

she looks like a fucking dude

also, joyce's wife is pretty hot in that OP

looks like oscar wilde lmao no wonder she killed herself

that's dawter

>her claim
And but so then of course

>tryhard

Woolf was always like that though. Check out the Dreadnaught hoax.

The amount of ignorance in this thread is unreal.

She had a handsome face

>more effective
>implying literature is some kind of tool to used convey ideas or relay a chain of events rather than an art

Are musicians who use less notes better because they are more effective with the ones they do use? Are painters who use only two colors better because they are more effective?
Is "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." The greatest work of literature ever because it tells an entire story with only six words?

>"James and Nora are so cool, like they're in some super cool underground indie band"
>"Massive jelly"
>Vita-Sackville-West-010.jpg
>"Here's Woolf being tryhard fedora af"

Christ almighty.

>tfw bunga bunga is unelaborate language that neither confuses nor alienates

>confusing simple or easy to understand with minimalism
You should know better.

That is actually Woolf, I assume it was West that took the picture or something.

thats why she was a truly great writer

manly women > feminine women

For comparison. Similar fedora levels, but it's quite clear that Virginia is ironically the butch with man face.

No, the portrait is by E. O. Hoppé. It's Vita Sackville-West.

"Virginia, what hat should I pose in today?"

>effective
Journalism-derived buzzword. Your professor's just a highly qualified hack.

That's his schizo daughter Lucia.

She wasn't fucking herself, user.

That's what I thought too, but the filename says Joyce and Nora, and reverse image shows James Joyce and Nora Barnacle.

Nah, someone just mislabeled it. There's a pic with his whole family on Wiki and that's definitely not Nora.

You guys are pretty much in the dark without some tits to go on, right?

Look at those tits!

>None of you faggots have the credentials to dispute her claim.
Veeky Forums has best selling literary authors, is your professor one?

>her claim
>her
I don't think this post warrants a response. The inferior female brain obviously cannot comprehend james joyce.

I'm a girl AND I read Ulysses

"""read""" Ulysses

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how a hobbies board like /mu/ manages to be as terrible as /pol/.

Well, not to me.

>None of you faggots have the credentials to dispute her claim.

but i like both in equal measure

your agenda-driven dyke teacher = BTFO

putting aside the fallacious appeal to authority, your failure to understand that two PhD English teachers can have dissenting but valid opinions makes me question what university you're going to and how you managed to pass Composition I and II

Since when is alienation a bad thing?

Why are so many people so damn pseudohumean in their view of art? Perhaps -- no, no, don't dismiss me quite yet -- that sometimes the reader should be challenged by the author rather than coddled into staying in their comfort zone? Sometimes it is good to be a bit too ambitious in one's writing rather than write something that will be forgotten in a decade.

I doubt this woman has read either, because Woolf is just as guilty of using tortuous language.

Did Joyce actually need that eyepatch? I always wonder this.

Furthermore, Joyce was a loving husband with a healthy sexuality; Woolf was a dirty queer that married another queer, and both of them dirtied their marriage further through queer infidelities.
20=times

just like people question your orientation u fag boi with ur fancy words

lowkey u a savage fo dat

emotions have been challenging the audience and taking them out of their comfort zone since the Greeks you people continuously tell people to start with

How is this relevant?

>her
Dismissed.

It's hot when 2 girls have sex so your last point is invalid. (unless they are butches)

Society should only accept female x female relationships (unless they are butches) and fags can go die.

>woolf and vita aren't butch
Her husband was also homo.

im glad she left her faggot husband then

Even though Woolf was mannish, I should specify that by butch I mean those fat short haired dykes who dress like men. I guess those didnt exist back then.

Joyce is the greatest literary artist of all time.

jokes on you and your prof, I have not and will never read either of them

>her

Subtle bait. You won't make us hate Woolf, frog faggot

As a non native english speaker,Joyce confuses me.
I have no idea what is happening,but the prose is pretty.I see the aesthethic value and the talent.

>the big words and fancy talk in joyce hurts my brain
typical woman tbqh

Thats Lucia not Nora, the chick who dated Beckett

>Lady Gaga is a better finger painter
than Leonardo Dicaprio because art isn't wank and is very serious..

BTFO REKT #nochin SWAG

How do you feel to know you're an inferior being?

>PhD English
>prestigious

a tip
a top
a tip top
tippidy kek
n' drek

This.