Just how bullshit are personality types, really?

Just how bullshit are personality types, really?

(also what's your type?)

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0191886996000335
16personalities.com/esfj-personality
16personalities.com/intp-personality
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_disorder#Management
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm a lvl 97 Poisson Necro, and they're incredibly bullshit.

There's scales of certain personality characteristics that are backed up in psychological research that have been successfully used to predict behaviors.

And then there's categorical types mostly created to sell ideas to companies so the creators can get money. Like you posted.

permavirgin reporting in

INTJ, I think the description was scarily accurate, with only a few asides.

It doesn't mean you're guaranteed success or to be as successful as others of your type. It's just your base. It's up to you to recognize your skills and apply them in life to the best of your ability.

It's just a modern version of horoscope for millennials.

i feel it's bullshit. it got me wrong, but i'm constantly changing and i'm not a stable person. in my personal experience people are liable to change, they're not static like a character in a novel

Don't ever say they're bullshit on /pol/. You'll have at least three anons spit out pseudoscience garble at you as to why it's a legitimate means in understanding your true personality type.

It agrees to my personality to quite some extend. However, personally I find myself to be introverted: I will not share anything personal with someone, and don't mind being quiet in a corner.

Fuck off normalfag

Personality types are not bullshit, there just really need to be more of them.

Once you've met 100 different people you start meeting people who act very similar to people you've seen in the past. Not only that but at a point you are to group people up. Taking someone's initial characteristics (those they presented themselves with) and then you think about them as if they would present characteristics that people who you know from the past have, who also had those inititial conditions.

Everyone does this at some level but psychologists are not really known for being "smart" or "useful" or "non-retarded" so asking them to come up with a useful classification may be too hard.

That said, I just took the 16personalities test for the third time in my life and for the third time got INTP-T, even though I knew I was answering some questions differently.

Like last time I took it I was in high school and there is a question about answering to emails quickly and back then I never did. Fuck emails. I only used my email to register to websites. So I answer no.

Now I answer yes because I immediately answer emails every single time and feel bad if I make people wait.

So the test is doing something right, it is categorizing me in such a correct manner that even when minor traits change, it still "recognizes" me. That's pretty good.

I say we just need more types. I think we could break down every single type (logician, mediator, etc.) into their own 16 different variations is one.

This test already did this. If you notice, all the personalities are variations of explorer, sentinel, diplomat and analyst and from my past experience doing these tests, there are ones who literally only have 4 categories.

So we took each one of those 4 categories and broke them down into 4.

Now we need to do that again which would yield 64 personality types and even then maybe those would be enough so maybe a next round should be applied until we have 256 personality types.

please be a d2 reference

also- INTP here
>get reck'd

Psychologists have not subscribed to a the idea there's a universal description for many years now. They accept there's levels of explanation, and choose the model that fits the purpose.

Still not sure if an INTJ or and INTP (between 90 and 100% for I, N, and T)

I'm purely INTP-T, which seems to be true -- literally autistic, math major/physics minor, and programmer....

yeah, they're bullshit. It's fun to see your results though. ENTP btw

ENTP here. I like the test actually, you just have to take everything with a big grain of salt, since it's pure pseudoscience. With that in the back of your head, its fun to analyse and compare people and their types.

Typical INFP here, therapist.

I'm the autistic type: INTP.

>another MBTI thread
Has that guy who made the thread on /v/ listened to me about discussing MBTI on Veeky Forums?

INTJ, anyway

This.

INTJ

They are somewhat accurate but MBTI is mostly just horoscope garbage.

There are better personality tests on the internet that are actually relatively accurate (assuming they are answered correct) such as Big 5.

Of course the types are just types and they can't perfectly describe someone, just give a general idea of.

This

I usually score INTJ-a
It has been ENTP and INTP though on my less edgy days

INFJ.

I know everyone in /sci loves to bag on Meyers-Briggs testing, but it's widespread as fuck in the corporate world, so when you kids actually get out of your parents basement prepare to be categorized this way by your future HR dept.

Assuming any of you fgts get a job.

> it's widespread as fuck in the corporate world
They actually use it? I thought it was just a meme or a very few companies ever gave a shit about MBTI in the past.

my friend in business school right now says they emphasize it cause a lot of business do. and from what i've read elsewhere online a lot of places really do take it really seriously even if it's bullshit. like you're either hired or you aren't serious.

ENTJ
I am a judgemental individual who doesn't like inefficiency and try to win arguments way too much. Its fairly spot on for me.

Please tell me you are bullshitting us.
They actually take MBTI seriously? They don't pick you if you get a type they don't like?

It's all about "The Culture". So if they have a certain vibe going, and you're a personality type they think will be a pain in the ass, no job.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Weird. Few years ago I got INTJ in every test.

Entp masterrice.

Big 5 is meant to be strongly supported by high integrity scientists in the field of "personality psychology".

Being ENTP of course, I would happily debate both for and against big 5's veracity.

Also, I'd like to ask anyone here what is the best place online to discuss crackpot hypotheses regarding psychology?

How do you feel about being categorized in general?

/x/ and /pol/

i don't care for it, i'd rather not be categorized or labeled

>open Veeky Forums
>see /r9k/-tier thread
>(also what's your type?)
pls stop

>They are somewhat accurate but MBTI is mostly just horoscope garbage.
MBTI correlates with IQ / giftedness, occupation, mental disorders, gender, sexuality, and many other characteristics that it would not if it were "horoscope garbage."

There is correlation between the 4 of the Big 5 characteristics and the MBTI dichotomies. And the Big 5 was heavily inspired by the MBTI and Jung.

intp here

not as bullshit as IQ( 132 here)

What kind of fun things can you do with MBTI?
Are there more tools related to it?

>MBTI correlates

No, it doesn't. This is simply a lie, MBTI has no correlation with any recognized personality metric.

>And the Big 5 was heavily inspired by the MBTI and Jung.

This is also a lie, Big Five is based on empirical findings, Jung was a fraudster who made up his results, there is no relationship between modern personality research and anything Jung shat out.

Introversion-extraversion are explicitly Jungian concepts. In fact, nearly all Western personality theory since the mid-20th century descends from Jung in some way.

No evidence Jung was a fraud. Most of the things he said are outdated and have been discredited, but he's still highly influential in a positive way on psychology. It sounds like you mixed him up with Freud.

bad but not harmful

astrology is true though

158iq btw

Big Five IS more empirical, however it's almost strictly empirical. That is, in a way, a problem because it makes its assertions circular and it has more limited predictive power in the ideal. Jung was using a lower level of abstraction, postulating some fundamental ideas about personality. Those ideas, eg the opposing nature between introversion and extroversion, perceiving and judging, thinking and feeling, and sensing and intuition, are all reasonable.

>That is, in a way, a problem

No, that's why Big 5 is widely respected and accurate.

>Jung was using a lower level of abstraction

Aka, "making shit up".

I do think they don't mean much for the most part but I will say this, I used to always get INTP when I took these things and after experimenting with psychedelics I always get INFP.

I'm the same as you - INFP-T. I took the same test.

I get INFP or INTP depending on my mood or the test I use.
Also, post your major alongside personality. Might be interesting to see. Math here.

>backed up in psychological research that have been successfully used to predict behaviors.
[citations needed]

>I get INFP or INTP depending on my mood or the test I use.
same 2bh

doing Maths also

INTJ
Electrical Engineering

Without any underlying theory, you can't make a priori predictions and explanations. You can only look at relations between the scales and behavior. Big Five doesn't link anything with how the brain works. It is just a classification system. It's valuable because it's consistent, ie it's valid, but it's limited in explanatory and predictive power in comparison to a system postulating relationships between fundamental structures of personality.

INTP here
Double maths/linguistics major

And yet despite this, Big 5 has tremendous predictive power and MBTI has zero (0) predictive power.

>Poisson Necro
>Poisson

INFJ

Which happens to be the rarest. I'm such a special snowflake.

That's INTJ, but not around a Science forum, of course

ENTJ
Software engineering
135 IQ

Some points I can agree with, idk if I can take any random test serious though.

>studying law btw

Yo guys, what's the most accurate online IQ test? I wanna know if I'm a brainlet or not

ENTJ

Electrical Engineering

>INTJ
>Nearly 24
>Master's degree
>Virgin
Wake me up please

>andrew.hedges.name/experiments/random/

here family

>INTJ
>nearly 23
>dropped out of college to work in programming job
>virgin
it is our curse

>INTJ
>22
>CS Degree
>non-virgin and Veeky Forums

I'm Veeky Forums as well and probably better looking than you

That's pretty presumptious. I think I'm decently handsome. Girls think so too.

let's fite irl

like all diagnostic tools
personality tests are supposed to offer some insight that might not be apparant to the person.

The person takes said output from diagnostic materials and uses the information for better understanding and planning.

As far as that is concerned they aren't really bullshit, if you can apply some other meaning or use out of them.

If you are taking a test just to fit in then its bullshit, so you can have some arbitrary value or label assigned to you, then it is bullshit.

the output of any diagnostic test matters more to administration than the patient or officiant. Just keep that in mind.

>former INTP
>dropped out
>virgin
I'm INTJ now because I found the answer to life.

>nearly
are you both having birthdays somewhere around january-march?

yeah, february, which I think counts as "nearly"

also, forgot to mention I've had no friends in ~8 years

>can't wake up

yep, though I haven't played in years
force of habit

>tfw 25
>bachelor's
>have lots of friends and women

being a normie is nice

maybe you can start down the normie path by deleting your weeb images

What is the Forer effect

So INFJ, what does that mean?

Not applicable to MBTI. An INTP wouldn't read the ESFJ description and think "that's totally me!" and vice versa.

ESFJ: 16personalities.com/esfj-personality
INTP: 16personalities.com/intp-personality

INTP here

Guess I should get myself checked out for autism

curiosity bump

ENTP. It's really fitting but that might just be hindsight bias.

INTP was my score until I realized that I'm not introverted. Just a failed normie. I think I scored ENTJ once.

This personality type test is bullshit. People don't give honest answers in these tests.

One can also choose the personality type first, and then force the test to give that personality type as a result.

"I want to be INTJ, so let's answer that I'm not that social, I'm extremely organized, I am a great thinker..."

>Intentionally rig a test
>wow wtf it doesnt work

Sure, they can but the fact that personalities are pretty spread apart show that there's at least some credence. The majority of people don't know a single thing about the test and to them all these combinations are meaningless.

I think giving easily digestible labels like "Commander" or "Tactician" is whats dangerous.

Besides, Its interesting to see even what people want to be.

>intentionally lie on a personality test
>the test provides a result accurate to your lies
really activates my almonds

I don't say that the test is inaccurate. I claim that too many people intentionally lie on the test or the results.

There's no way that there are this many INTJs and ENTJs posting Pepes and gorillas and making "what's the evolutionary advantage of..." threads on this Nigerian anime discussion board. That's more like INFP or INTP thing to do.

ENTP, INTP and INFP are all over represented here on Veeky Forums though.
For example ENTPs are supposed to make up some 2-4% of the population. If you go on /r9k/ or even on this thread they are closer to 10-20%.

>xNTJ can't meme
Why?

Good job on figuring out that Veeky Forums isn't a sample for all the world since only a specific kind of people come here

the icd-10 has a whole set of personality disorders with descriptions of the specific behavior that matches said disorders.

plus those disorders are "enduring" (=incurable), meaning you will always behave in these specific patterns.

so i guess at least some personality types can be used to predict behavior.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_disorder#Management

Yo. Same but from Chem. Tend to drift a lot, but people are more likely to tell me that I daydream instead of brood. Happiest when left alone to get my shit done.

I generally get along with people because people like to talk. They don't really notice that they actually don't know much about me. So, I'm interested to know if you guys were similar.