Derive with respect to

>derive with respect to...
>[Math Course] for Engineers
>indeed it is true
>"When am I going to use this?"
>times it by
>"these guys are going to die" when referring to things that cancel out
>professor who won't continue the lecture until someone answers his obvious question

Tell me Veeky Forums, what really activates your almonds?

Nothing because I take all my classes in the mathematics department... and that comes with their quirks.

I remember my Calc I professor. For some problem we were discussing algebraic manipulations and someone had the AUDACITY to say "Pass that 5 to the left".

That triggered my professor. She said that you don't "pass". you don't "move" THAT IS NOT RIGOROUS. You add -5 to both sides, which will preserve equality, as given by the elementary theorems of arithmetic.

I also remember saying that she will not tolerate anyone who repeats the phrase of "pass it to the other side" because that is wrong.

That was fun. In mathematics we have the opposite probem you engys have.

>using "guys" when talking about mathematical entities
>using the word "intuition"
>professors who think physical descriptions are an explanation
>brainlet professors who go over proofs during class (all you need are the theorems, the proofs are trivial)
>non-finitists
>grad school mediocrities coping on Veeky Forums
Any of the above are suicide-tier

wtf are you still in high school

Saying pass or move will cause students to fuck up and do this shit:
a+5=b
a=b+5

>t. physics major with a specialization in dropping the minus sign

Yeah but in the end I think we all do it subconciously, regardless of what we are calling it.

That same semester I was also taking algebra courses and it was our first introduction to the basic algebraic structures and how you do "algebra" inside of them. There the professor also complained about "passing" but not only about calling it "passing" but even about skipping the step of adding it to both sides. He thought we were reinforcing our primitive nature we learned in high school """algebra""" and that such a thing is not a good habit in real algebra because one day, simply passing to the other side will not preserve equality. Or maybe one day you may be asked to prove that "passing" is even rigorous and then if you don't know the underlying ideas then you are fucked.

But the problem was that even though I would be good and do it step by step, when I was thinking through the problem I still "passed" things to the left. It was not until I finished the problem in my mind that I would start writing and I would tediously do every single step.

And I don't think they are any better. I BET they all do this. They simply pass things to the other side. They just don't call it that way because they are real mathematicians and shit.

>[eqn]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{x^2+x}{3x^3+1}\approx\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{x^2}{3x^3}[/eqn]

The fuck?

But that is true though.

Divide numerator and denominator by x. Apply theorem that 1/x = 0 and cancel x's accordingly. Then repeat. You get 1/3x and then multiply numerator and denominator by x^2.

Boom.
Justified

Fuck. Seriously. Applying this for limits is so fucking natural. If I had to ever take Calc I the first thing I would is prove at the top of the answer shit that if f and g are polynomials with degree n and m and with leading coefficient c and k then the limit as x approaches of infinity of f(x)/g(x) = lim cx^n/kx^m

IT IS NOT FALSE.

The rest is trivial
Left as an exercise for the reader
Beyond the scope of this book

The only thing wrong with this is the approximate sign. They are equal.

>>"these guys are going to die" when referring to things that cancel out
I've never heard this wtf.

>That triggered my professor. She said that you don't "pass". you don't "move" THAT IS NOT RIGOROUS. You add -5 to both sides, which will preserve equality, as given by the elementary theorems of arithmetic.
>I also remember saying that she will not tolerate anyone who repeats the phrase of "pass it to the other side" because that is wrong.
What an autist.

"If you were a student from Harvard you would be ask to derive this formula"

Lecture is the damn animal reading from a powerpoint/PDF.

"that's what the book says"

"in the real world"

This is surprisingly accurate, only as a graduate student instead of undergraduate.

>go to office hours
>ask a question
>"Did you read the book?"

wew lad, just ask "Did you do my job for me?" to save time for the both of us

>people eho interupt the lecthrer to ask a questin and then interupt the answer
>people whofail a module because they did no work and submitted a blank page then call the lecturer shit
>motosport engineering students suprised and confused when they have to do something other than talk about how cool racong cars are

My highschool physics professor was indian and would often say that variables "will not survive" when cancelling terms.

>lecturer using physics examples to explain intuition
>lecture uses it's own retarded notation that appears only in some papers of the lecturer on a unrelated topic
>female professors who got their job because of a quota and it shows

>>people eho interupt the lecthrer to ask a questin and then interupt the answer
There is a special place in hell for these people. Actually everybody who asks questions in lectures should be shot

Why should the professor help you if you can't even make an effort to solve the problem yourself first? What do you think the book is even for?

I did read the book. The fact that he has the nerve to ask is pissing me off. It's not like there was anyone else waiting to ask him a question. Professors all over the country try to weasel their way out of their office hours.

Yeah what a bastard, expecting you [math] actually [/math] work at university.

exactly bro. Im tryna get to med school and he knows they require this dumb shit

They're already giving up some of their free time/study time to come to the office for help. Professors who are too far up their ass to answer questions in their office blow at teaching or might not be as smart as they think they are.

>Some kid comes to office hours
>Asks some basic question
>Worried, I ask if he's done the required background work
>He spegs out and leaves

It's like you just want to be spoon fed fucking everything.

>Tell me Veeky Forums, what really activates your almonds?

I'm a senior and have put off taking gen-ed credits as much as I can, and am taking a first year research writing class where the emphasis is stereotypes.
The prof is gay and in class said, "God forbid, or Goddess forbid."

Made me really think.

Yes, spoonfeed me. I didn't drop by to ask how your day went and braid each others' hair.

>derive with respect to...

Fuck, whats wrong with this one again?

pls respond

When you take a derivative, you are differentiating, not "deriving". They mean different things.

So the correct thing to say is that the ''differentiation of X with respect to Y is...'' ?

You'd just call that the derivative. The operation itself is differentiation.

No you say "differentiate y with respect to x" or "take the derivative of y with respect to x"

>"When am I going to use this?"
In the context of contempt towards a concept and not genuine curiosity, this really pisses me off a fuck-ton

>3 required classes in social science
>5 required classes in humanities
>2 required "diversity" classes

>1 required science course
>"perspectives in nutrition," "the science of cooking," "the mathematics of music"
>"must demonstrate proficiency in college algebra"
>UGH! Why do us CREATIVE TYPES need to bother with this shit

>2 required "diversity" classes
Disgusting

That prof would fit in here well, with her weaponized autism.
Also at my uni the math faculty is the worst. Exams are never graded on time, every thing managed faculty is very poorly organiezd etc, they are the worst

Libarts majors' autistic screeching over having to do literally the bare minimum of not-even-science really snorts my coke, esp when we have a full third of our schedules blocked out for their crap.
>It's called being worldly or well-rounded you fugging prig :-DDDDDDD

>the proof is trivial

if it's so trivial why can't you explain it briefly instead of skipping it?

When you do an entire integration problem correctly that takes almost half a page and still get the answer wrong because you forgot to add a constant C in the end. Never happened to me but I'm sure it's happened to many other people.

>the proof is trivial

if it's so trivial why can't you explain it briefly instead of skipping it?

no it's more likely they're a math professor so they have literal autism

just drop out. you're still a failure anyway, at least save yourself the money

kys