How do I into social theory? Was thinking of picking up something by Foucault to get started...

How do I into social theory? Was thinking of picking up something by Foucault to get started, possibly Discipline and Punish.

Other urls found in this thread:

critical-theory.com/87-critical-theorist-books/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why not Hobbes and Rousseau? or Aristotle's politics

Foucault is not really entry tier.

If you want easy to go and actual political/social theory

Read Giddens, Habermas

If you wanna go deep into and just fuck up your whole perception of society

Read Foucault, Horkheimer, Lukacs.

If you wanna go with the classics
Read Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau

Or the more actual Classics
Marx, Weber, Durkheim

That's actually Scott Adams auditioning for Mad Men.

You were doing so well until you got to the hack frauds

Foucault a hack

Bordieu - Distinction
Ellul - Propaganda
Durkheim - Dvision of Labor & Suicide
Unabomber manifesto

A documentary on chimpanzees is a start.

>Bordieu - Distinction
Oh yes.

Who?
If you say foucault and Lukacs imma fuck you up man

You might as well read a literal piece of shit, you'll gain more valuable insight than by reading these french faggots.

You should show more cultural goodwill, member of the dominated class.

>le class warfare meemee
jesus fucking christ when will this die

The day those creepy working class people stop supporting literally Voldemort.

God, it's as if poor people have a different worldview or something. This is why they need to be educated harder and punished more thoroughly for their bad, hateful manners.

I havent read D&P, but I highly recommend History of Sexuality. Foucault is as indispensable as Baudrillard for understanding the world of social constructs (memes) we are living in.

Start with the Foucault Reader by Paul Rabinow.

It gives you a wider view of his theory and its different applications.

It is well constructed in that it is a selection of excepts strung together. Also, the introduction is informative.

If you are more interested in the theory than the historical content, the read is for you. His books delve deep into historical analysis, where as the reader gives the basic settings, conclusions, but is mostly theoretical.

It can then be used as your on manual for preforming a genealogical assessment something

Disregard all 20th century French hacks.

Foucault is particularly terrible, with his countless misreadings of Nietzsche.

As others said, Foucault is not really entry-level tier. Not because he's complicated, but you're gonna miss out on a lot of the references.

How about some history? Maybe "Historical Capitalism" by Immanuel Wallerstein is a good starter book. Or "Formal Logic and Dialectical Logic" by Henri Lefebvre. Maybe even "Mythologies" by Roland Barthes. Or since we're in the power discussion, "Caliban and the Witch", by Silvia Federici.

These are all very good entry-level books that will definetly not waste your time.

Thoughts on The Postmodern Condition? Will it be too complicated for an entry-level critical theory reader?

Wait, wait. Foucault may be a hack but I want to know what everyone is talking about. How do I get into his theory?

>literally voldemort
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Is there a chart for getting into this?

Somebody should make one for people like me.

I found this list recently and it's what I'm basing my future readings on. Also taking a break from Veeky Forums because of all the hate and opinions of anons that do not really want to help but only feel superior. That truly fucks up your notions of the pursuit of knowledge. I think I rather go outside and talk to actual people who actually know things. That being said, good luck to all of you. inb4 it's a shitty pleb list, whatever. I like that it begins in the foundations. It's also critical theory, but there's obviously a whole lot of social theory in there. Farewell.

sorry forgot link

critical-theory.com/87-critical-theorist-books/

I think it's a good list.

You didn't read any of those, shut the fuck up mate

>"""philosopher"""
>not smart enough to use a condom

Why do people take this hack seriously again?

Why the diss on Foucault?