Earth After Man

Could one (somewhat) accurately predict the flora, fauna, geography, and climate of earth in the far future (ex 25-50 million years)?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

25-50 million?

Nah. Only in a really, REALLY general and hypothetical sense. Is it hot in the future? Okay, animals will adapt to that. But what will they look like? How will they deal with the heat? We don't know.

Ok, what about 10 million? Enough time for biodiversity to return to stable levels after the mass extinction, and for new forms of life to adapt

What the fuck are you on about? If anything is going to survive, humans/the descendants of us are going to be among the survivors.

Sapient or non?

Fungus is the future.

Fungus is all.

Yield to the almighty fungus.

I want fungocultists to leave

>implying fungi will do anything other than sit around and release spores
I'd believe that squids could walk on land and swing in trees before anything like that.

>in the far future
>20-50 million years

Life began 4 billion years ago. 50 million years is nothing.

I wish people would start building a city on one of the antarctic islands. I really want to live there before I die.

Far future is anything after the first few thousand/million years, user.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future

I think it's the opposite. Less complex lifeforms will be more likely to persist. Humans are extremely picky compared to single-celled organisms.

What about tetrapods and vertebrates in general?

Also very picky. You want to think about the range of tolerance of certain conditions. What would be more likely to survive? A lifeform that can tolerate 25-140 degrees C or a lifeform that can only tolerate 25-50 C?

>25-140°C
What kind of hell-earth are you talking about? I'm thinking of a scale of maybe the next 100 million years or so, where the earth is still somewhat recognisable to us, not 1 billion where all eukaryotes have been wiped out.

Check out some of Dougal Dixon's books, I'm not sure if they are accurate at all, but they sure are interesting.

Read those years ago. Some of the creatures depicted in those are so implausible it isn't funny.

They're pretty damn cool though.

True, true.

>If anything is going to survive, humans/the descendants of us are going to be among the survivors.

lol