Post the biggest scientific hoaxes and frauds

Post the biggest scientific hoaxes and frauds.

Pic: "Gold nano chopsticks"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwang_Woo-suk
networkworld.com/article/3155403/computers/intels-new-kaby-lake-processors-no-performance-gains.html
cs.columbia.edu/~ sedwards/classes/2012/3827-spring/advanced-arch-2011.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Infinities with cardinality greater than aleph-null.

"global warming"

Not again...

he said scientific

You're right - believing in ""uncountable"" infinity is more like religious dogma.

Not another

>Paid shill...
>Atheist underage&b&...

Pick one

>belief
Its like you've never even taken a college level math class. You probably shouldn't be commenting on this subject. You look dumb enough already.

I've probably taken more classes that boil down to set theory than you'll ever take in your entire lifetime. Uncountable infinity is a meme, a false God to which we ascribe meaning due to being incapable of finding it elsewhere. Uncountable infinity does not exist and never will.

meme drive

STAP cells

wanna count the real numbers for me

How can I count something that doesn't exist?

Nothing in mathematics physically exists. It's just abstract structures with no physical representation.

>taking the bait

>I've probably taken more classes that boil down to set theory
Lol, you're describing every college math class. They're all based on set theory.

>exist
What the hell are you talking about? Please define existence.

Paid shill

You got me

>Lol, you're describing every college math class. They're all based on set theory.

>Not taking homotopy type theory in your second year undergrad
It's like you guys don't even want to expand your horizon

Determining the area under a glucose tolerance curve

best post

Why do 90% of Veeky Forums threads end up with elite autists drooling on each other?

>implying it's a bad thing
It's literally my favorite thing about Veeky Forums

Infinitely better than brainlets shitposting tbqhwyf

Get that shit out of here

>>>

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwang_Woo-suk

Basically, this guy falsified pretty much all his results, embezzled millions, and put his lab technicians on drugs so they could ovulate and give him eggs for his experiments. His case was notable for being one of the rare cases of a scientific misconduct incident resulting in actual criminal charges, due to the fact that he stole so much.

"Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity"

by Alan Sokal

>Joke's on them; I was only pretending to be reatrded

Woah, that's impressive

This man.

Nice try Wildberger!

for me, it would be Extreme Ultraviolet Lithograhy which is completely uncontrolable, 5x the cost and it requires wafters to be stored in a fucking near perfect vacuum for the time of manufacturing

Gallium Arsenide

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwang_Woo-suk

>(...) at the Seoul Central District Court on 26 October 2009, after being found guilty of embezzlement and bioethical violations but cleared of fraud
>"Dr. Hwang's cells have characteristics found in parthenogenetic cells" but remains cautious, saying "it needs more study."

>cleared of frad
>needs further study

>literally muh ethics

Unless you have some billions of dollars to spare to repeat your god particle meme experiments: Large Hadron Collider at CERN

Freud & Jung

Newtonian physics.

Kony 2012

>Silicon Photonics

I went to a conference on supercomputing this past year (SC16) and some guys had a panel about the future of computing, since we're at a dead end for silicon. One of the guys said he thought photonics were the future.

Someone gets up during the QA section and asks when they would be ready, since his buddy did a PhD in photonics in like the 70s and there's still nothing working.

Had fun watching the guy's research get complete BTFO.

Quantum mechanics.

>since we're at a dead end for silicon

>since we're at a dead end for silicon
How?

>not knowing this
get off my board

memedrive.

the retard is talking out of his ass.

we still have 3D memory and 3D processors to do in silicon.

This is the one, right here. My sides have yet to recover from reading that abstract.

Thanks for the backup, user.

>3D memory
How the fuck will 3D memory help us increase processor clock speed?

>3D processors
What do you mean by that? I hope you're not just talking about 3D transistors.

Here, did your homework for you
>Intel’s new Kaby Lake processors: No performance gains
networkworld.com/article/3155403/computers/intels-new-kaby-lake-processors-no-performance-gains.html

pic is from cs.columbia.edu/~ sedwards/classes/2012/3827-spring/advanced-arch-2011.pdf

We will continue to improve architecture? Yes.
Will we continue to make things out of silicon? Yes.
Will we be able to shrink silicon processors and increase clock speeds? No.

>probably
Neither of you has taken a course in
probability, so shut up about "probably".

i dont think that one strictly counts as a fraud or hoax, since it actually does work

People believing in round earth are like wtf.

Lots of fakes and scammers in science. Funding for an ends regardless of means.

The biggest fraud must be packaging the idiot box in a 2"x4"x1/4" form factor and calling it a smart phone when the cell-phone addicts now kill more people on the road than drunks.

An anti-social device marketed as a social device and people so severely retarded that they believe it: as they ignore everyone and everything as they frantically push Pavlov's buttons, too stupid to worry about brain damage cause they have no brain to worry about. But dementia and Alzheimers is a bitch.

1.1. by shortening average "wire" length
1.2. shortening average wire length would lower "switching losses" of the whole clock tree thus further reducing power consumption

tbqh i still wait for mythical long-range parallel optical interface

Ah right, thanks user.

>1.1. by shortening average "wire" length
No, the correct answer was "3D memory has nothing to do with increasing processor clock speed."
I'm currently using the HMC (3D memory with a logic layer) for my research. We've talked about different sorts of applications, mostly revolving around memory-bound codes. The shortened wire lengths will indeed reduce latency and speed up such applications. However, this does not mean processors will run any faster. Memory is not part of the processor.

>1.2. shortening average wire length would lower "switching losses" of the whole clock tree thus further reducing power consumption
Like I said, memory is not part of the processor. It will be great to reduce power draw from memory, considering it is such a large part of total system power draw. But its not going to change anything with the processor, except free up some power budget, when we start making hardware over-provisioned systems.

Sometimes I think if you're not one of them, then you can think of their whole Standard Model as a hoax. I'll admit I do believe them, but I mean, are all these subatomic particles really "particles" as a someone ignorant like me would understand? The Higgs imparts mass huh? How does that work? Someone here must be somewhat familiar with this stuff. When you're taught what a Higgs is and how it functions, is it at all intuitive from what you know?

Gravity Waves

> Gallium Arsenide

In what context?

IUT Theory

Tetraethyl Lead is good for your car engine
>it's not
>the heavy metal residues left by TEL can cause catastrophic frictional damage to the cylinders and pistons
>fouled catalytic converters

The social impact of TEL
>Poisoned millions
>Led to an increase in criminality
>Government knew it was bad, was bought off by Standard Oil of New Jersey (AKA Exxon)

>>it's not
>> Government knew it was bad
>>>>>>>>>implying

you one of those /pol/tards that got lost here by mistake? Or have you actually taken a course on applied thermodynamics?

Here is a big one:

"physics"

t. Indoctrinated amerifat.

>Pic very related

>How the fuck will 3D memory help us increase processor clock speed?
Clocks are as fast as they are going to get. That's why we went pipelined, to multi-core, and then massive parallel with GPUs. The future is different interconnect topologies, like a compute fabric made of arrays of cores that can only access their neighbors memory, not some global memory as in current machines.

>3D processors
Heat dissipation will be the largest obstacle to 3D. Btw, modern CPUs are dozens of layers deep.

I think silicon optical buses for moving data across large distances on a die will be a thing in the near future (within 5 or 10yrs), but they will be useless for anything else. Electro-optical couplers and decouplers take up a lot of floorspace, so these buses can't be used for short distances. That being said, it will only very modestly boost performance.

I honestly think more interesting applications for silicon photonics will be a return to analog computation for things like even faster FFT hardware and signal processing.