Why does Veeky Forums hate comp sci and engineering?

Why does Veeky Forums hate on practical degrees that can get you hired like comp sci and engineering while worshiping glorified liberal arts degrees like pure math.

Other urls found in this thread:

rgambler.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/male_female_bell_curve_.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because you spam that fucking picture

it's like the banana for /g/

I don't hate them. I think that everyone who is trained in a high level technical field deserves respect. The "hate" is just memes but it is also kinda their fault. The reason that they have become such punching bags is because of how retarded their mistakes sometimes are. Like sometimes people come here to ask really retarded questions about mathematics and then through asking you find out that the OP asking that shit was a CS or Engineering fag. It makes them easy punching bags.

Plus, lets not forget the TIMELESS memes. If anyone has the images of these memes pls post them for fun.

First, there is the CS guy who got a masters degree in CS but then when he went to get a job as a java dev was not able to solve a question that was in the style of a trivial coding challenge. He had to write a program that takes as input a number and then spits out like an X made of asterisks that was of length specified by the input number.

Then there is the engineering guy who came for drawing help, asking what the weird symbol with 2 marks meant. Also known as the cryptic '11'. People obviously answered that it is not a cryptic "two-mark" symbol, IT IS THE NUMBER ELEVEN. And then the fag showed the final product and we noticed he forgot a hole on the top of the drawing.

Good times. Those memes make them easy punching bags and you will just have to deal with it.

The thing I'm wondering is why everyone here calls engineers gay. Is there a disproportionate amount of homos in their profession?

I respect all of STEM and think they're all honorable degrees. Most of the humanities are good too.

t. pure math fag

Good on you lad, I hate math majors a little less now

There is a disproportionate amount of men in their profession though, so it is fair to assume that a lot of them came in just to get good ol' piping.

Biology tends to be like 20% men
Chemistry is like 40%-60% men
Math is 50% men
Physics is 80% men
Engineering is 90% men

So engineers are homos but those physicists are not too far. I guess it adds up, giving their affection for big black objects in space lately.

>see a lot of men in a given field of study
>mind automatically jumps to gay sex
classic mathfag projection of his sexual deviances, you're not fooling anyone

There must be a deeper reason for those proportions besides buttpirate conglomeration though

Well, I would appreciate an alternative hypothesis. I don't see many engineers getting pussy so what do you want me to say?

Well, I would appreciate if you told me what you have in mind.

There's plenty of people in my graduate classes for CS who don't program at all and just use pure math. They're in line to parachute into very high paying theoretical research positions or become tenured associate professors at great schools.

CS isn't really a practical degree, if you want purely practical you would just go to a tech school or 'code boot camp' that would be practical, industry type apprentice learning.

>Well, I would appreciate if you told me what you have in mind

If I had to wager a guess I'd say it has to do with how male and female brains are designed. It seems that men much prefer interaction and engagement whereas women prefer observation and contemplation. Of course this isn't universally true but I've heard many times over that this is a common trend in how men and women think. Some evidence would be that young boys tend to learn more quickly by interacting and writing; meanwhile young girls learn more quickly by listening and observing.

Physics has experiments and laboratory work so I could understand why men might be more into it, same for engineering. I see that chemistry sort of violates my hypothesis though but anyway I have nothing else better to suppose.

my black-body has of emissivity 1.5
be jelly, physicists

This is only a N.American thing.

In Russia/Europe, it's common to see half women in engineering classes I did a seminar for TUe in Netherlands on Linear Algebra for Security and was surprised to see it filled with young girls. RusCrypto conferences are also full of female presenters yet if you go to conferences in the US it's all fedoras and trenchcoats and beards.

CS is not really a solid degree desu, it's a very new field and some people have different ways of defining what the hell CS even is. CS can be a subset of mathematics if you go heavily into logic and combinatorics, and yes I already know someone is gonna start memeing about how the discrete math in CS is just A* and DeMorgan's law, and those people are correct in the sense that's all you need if you are just gonna be a software engineer working for a company like google; however, you may even need less if you are working for a "lower tier" company. Theoretical Computer Science, Computer Vision, and Bioinformatics(depends) can be very mathematical and really any branch of mathematics can be useful, I'm using a lot of Algebra and Topology in the work I'm doing right now in order to solve a complexity question.

CS is a good degree to double major in, I don't recommend it as a stand alone degree. I think the reason why Veeky Forums hates on CS is that they don't understand that it should be a "utility" major. The mathematicians here seem to not be into combinatorics, or they are physicists who have some kind of weird superiority complex of continuous based math and think discrete math is just A* or Baye's theorem.

tldr; if you are gonna do CS, double major or at least minor in your other interest.

Females cannot compete with males in the toughest of fields. That's why there are so little in engineering and much more in biology and chemistry

Well, that's a bit sexist, isn't it.

If you are assuming that women are intellectually inferior and I am assuming that engineers are homos then we can Occam's razor this shit to figure out that I am correct. My assumption is much more logical than yours.

This. Notice how all the women are in fields that need only memorization whereas men are in real fields that need critical thinking

> mathematics is 50% women
> one of the largest, latest breakthroughs in mathematical physics was found by a woman
> the last field's medal was given to a woman

Because the people who got practical degrees are living productive, fulfilling lives, and don't come on Veeky Forums. True story.

Because the bulk of CS Majors are retarded in more ways you can imagine

t. CS Major

>a girl played a useless game with countless arbritrary rules/axioms
literally who cares

Lol no. Women drop out in the first yeat and most engineering classes in Europe are saucage parties.

>that's a bit sexist,
Did it hurt your feelings roastie?

ya :(

seconded

t. CS Major

>Biology tends to be like 20% men
>Chemistry is like 40%-60% men
>Engineering is 90% men

Americans, kek, just end your country already

what's with the banana?

I have a pure math degree, switched into CS for graduate studies.

The meme that CS people == retards is rather insulting given the people that say it this are also the ones either attempting to complete a pure math degree, or have a pure math degree, i.e, they have same degree I do.

There are 100+ times more genius IQs among men, and 100+ times more retarded IQs among men, than women, when controlling for sex in IQ testing.

If you don't control for sex, there are 1,000+ times more genius IQ men than women and only 10 times more retarded IQs. Because the way you "control for sex" on IQ tests is to give women 10 free IQ points. Because the peak on their bell curve naturally sits at 90 on the men's scale. Their curve is also tighter, with fewer outliers to either extreme.

You can also look up IQ by degree and degrees by gender.
You'll see a cute little correlation in which the lowest IQ degrees are also the most female-dominated.

>> one of the largest, latest breakthroughs in mathematical physics was found by a woman

What is this user?

>physical chemistry is easy, like biology

Source pl0x

not that guy but here to tell you that you're a double nigger and it took me two seconds

rgambler.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/male_female_bell_curve_.png

the blowjob for medals theorem

They hate applied math and science and also are mad jelly of the cash

As an engineer I can tell you Engineering is waaaay more than 90% men, no homo. Excellent quip, friend.

A statistics/math kek here. To do well in CS, you have to forfeit all creativity and just follow. Creativity is actually looked down on by professors. Also, CS people are annoying in every possible way.

theoretical CS grad here. We had a 98:2 male-female ratio in undergrad school. According to Veeky Forums logic, CS must be the hardest field.

People seem to think Software Engineering is easy because it isn't based on hard math and science. But think about it.

Software Engineers connect the madness of hundreds of different of other engineers into a working piece of software.

That's because Logic is a mandatory course in all the good schools

>mfw females reading Logical Reasoning: A First Course and failing dramatically

>According to Veeky Forums logic, CS must be the hardest field.
this is why everyone hates CS

>We had a 98:2 male-female

So you guys are also gay. Good to know.

Probably because most posters on Veeky Forums are either delusional pseudointellectuals with tremendous biases about what is/isn't worthy of study or in high school so their understanding of scientific pursuit is informed by popsci, which tends to skew heavily towards physicists rather than engineers/CS people.

I respect all STEM -- including physics -- but people here have some weird tendencies.

>its another "undergrads at shitty state schools with no real accomplishments autofellate their choice of major" thread

My nigga.

Can you tell me, as an outsider, how good you think that book is? My view on it is a bit biased, I'd like to hear an unbiased opinion.

CS being full of Retards is mostly about under grads and the biggest proponents of the theory are CS majors who are first hand witness to the horrors of our classmates. Some of these fuckers can't even comprehend basic multiplication.