There was a Musk thread a while ago and somebody there said that Musk is a fraud who uses public money for outdated...

There was a Musk thread a while ago and somebody there said that Musk is a fraud who uses public money for outdated technology. I want to ask people who understand this space stuff (if there are such people here)
1) Isn't his reusable rocket stage a breakthru?
2) Is his Mars colonization plan feasible?

Other urls found in this thread:

3dprintingindustry.com/news/americas-first-3d-printed-houses-99189/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes.
Yes.
But the latter is promising to be a HUGE cash drain with no benefit to it

Wouldn't it be more useful to start a mining operation on the moon

Elon is a smart man. He likes to gamble. He likes to gamble with your money.
Thing is if he wins, don't expect him to write you a cheque. If he loses, did he really?
Like I said, smart man.
P.S. you're already nearly 5 billion in the hole with him. That would equal a lot of infrastructure projects.

mining for what, exactly?

>1) Isn't his reusable rocket stage a breakthru?
he hasn't relaunched it yet, so it remains just a gimmick

>2) Is his Mars colonization plan feasible?
Well, call me when he manages his first launch of his MCT

well NASA is like 500 billion in the hole for their worthless do nothing space programs

Minerals and Vespene gas of course. Have you forgot what generation you are replying to?

Elon Musk is a psyop to placate the disgruntled and disenfranchised generations. Obviously things are not going well on earth and will not get better so someone needs to talk about space, the final frontier and all that. The point man is the Muskman. A fruitcake.

Moonstones

Apparently he's going to build a LOndon to Edinburgh 750mph Hyperloop rail link, that gets you there in like 45 minutes. Or Manchester in 18 minutes. People travel in pods in a metal tube with most of the air removed to lower drag.

Would I travel in it? Sure, we'll get the Chinese to finance the build, what could go wrong?

wait wtf the distance from London to Edinburgh is that tiny? how fucking small is Britain?

Silicon

We're going to need lube for how bad Musk is going to rape our wallets.

>But the latter is promising to be a HUGE cash drain with no benefit to it
id rather have trump fund this than all the other stupid shit we waste money on.

If it works as advertised it will be. However, this isn't an original idea to SpaceX and it's by no means certain that it'll work for them as advertised, or that the work they're doing now will be significant to future usefully reusable systems.

>2) Is his Mars colonization plan feasible?
I think it fails at the point where he expects to have a million people each willing and able to pay half a million dollars just for one-way personal transportation (never mind any supplies or other luggage... seriously, this is a multi-trillion-dollar project just in terms of up-front investment, to get that city of people to Mars with enough stuff to survive) to a spartan life on a Mars colony.

With the way things are advancing, when they go, they won't go with some cheesy 2010s technology that we cranked out just as we were starting to get decent with robots.

You're right about NASA, but two wrongs don't make a right...
Considering I'm on the math board I fully expect to be BTFO for that comment.
I'll save myself, figure of speech lol

I think Elon Musk is just like Steve Jobs. He's just trying to make $$$ by being "innovative".

>space programs literally mantain the us superiority in scientific development, military technology, stimulates the economy like a mofo creates a bizillion ultra high level jobs, was the best PR move the united states did after world war 2, singlehandedly won the cold war...

if you amerifucks stop financing the best thing you got you gonna regret it

>what could go wrong?
a tube puncture will kill everyone that was travelling inside the tube at the time of the puncture

Truly one of the greatest salesman of our time.

Have you heard his speaches? He is teriible at that. You must have mistaken him with Trump.

>1)
Not yet.
>B)
This is to be seen. It's very roughly drawn. Will probably be changed millions of times. Until it works, or most likely - it won't get enough funds. We'll fall into a postcapitalism darkage and pass the baton to the Indo-China conglomerate.

But if you ask - can humans colonize Mars. I'd say - of course.

;^)

>Isn't his reusable rocket stage a breakthru?
yes, mind you it's not "his" in the sense that he didn't design it
>Is his Mars colonization plan feasible?
There are many non-spacecraft challenges that haven't even been touched on in terms of construction of the actual colony, but there is no glaring problems with the booster and spacecraft as far as I can see.

A lot of people ITT are claiming that spacex is "stealing our money". I'd be interested to see what they mean by that? Is it that they are contracted by NASA and the airforce to provide launches and vehicle development? I suppose that means that every other space company is stealing your money as well (and a lot more of it). I guess I wouldn't expect better from this board, but really, the level of strawmanning when spacex is discussed is ridiculous simply because people are angry about the idolization of their CEO.

seconded

>what could go wrong?
How many Muslims living over there again?

>I think it fails at the point where he expects to have a million people each willing and able to pay half a million dollars just for one-way personal transportation (never mind any supplies or other luggage... seriously, this is a multi-trillion-dollar project just in terms of up-front investment, to get that city of people to Mars with enough stuff to survive) to a spartan life on a Mars colony.
thats bullshit, suppose the trip costs half a millon in trip and half a millon in supplies per person, there are many goverments that would gladly pay that for their citizens just for a lead at exploration science and tech

if elon musk was a great person in civilization 4 would he be a great engineer or a great merchant?

The amount of disinfo and outright falsehoods that pop up among contrarians when Musk is the subject always stuns me. I suppose it is because Musk is a truly exceptional human in the modern era. An entirely self-made man who overcame his beta orbiter status to become something more; a fearless risk-taker; a visionary.

The main criticisms are that he's not responsible for his success (he is), he's not responsible for SpaceX's innovative breakthroughs (he obviously is, both as an organizer of labor and expertise but also as an amateur engineer; he's rather like Leo da Vinci in being able to grasp factual principles without fully understanding them), that he's a welfare queen (as long as there is a government, there will be subsidies; best they go to the person who can do the most with them), or that he got hair transplants (absolutely true).

When that fails he's a false-flag and a CIA plant, that irrefutable and unprovable allegation.

SpaceX was the first organization that launches rockets to attempt AND succeed in recovering a first-stage booster. The cost savings are enormous. It is absolutely a breakthrough, and it shows why private enterprise is better than government at space: when money is on the line, private organizations at the mercy of their investors (and basic math) need to innovate to stay competitive. Government doesn't.

2) Is his Mars colonization plan feasible?
With current tech, not really. But Mars is the long game, and he's betting on several technologies advancing while he gears up. The first thing to do is put a bunch of industry on Mars, so when the first astronauts get there, they can set things up. The most important things are a means of growing food, habitable space, and the infrastructure required to make the fuel needed for round trips between Earth and Mars.

>With current tech, not really
why not? the main problem by about 40 orders of magnitude is transportation, and once that's done. (which can be done with a 1% reduction of us military budget) the rest is seriously easy, like REALLY easy.

Everything in space is a piece of cake compared to the transportation part, any nation could build,, hell any universitya,,, hell any INDIVIDUAL could build spaceworthy stuff is transportation is solutionated

Not to be rude but, did you see that movie The Martian? Because that is pretty much an idiots guide to why colonizing Mars would be hard as fuck. The protagonist had an improbable amount of luck and skill, and he still almost dies multiple times.

It's why Musk would never send civilians to Mars in the first manned mission. The plan is to send seasoned astronauts that know what they're doing and can make things as easy as possible on the ground.

More specifically, there's no accounting for what a 6 month journey in space will do to people of nominal health, physically and mentally. If the ISS has taught us anything, it's that terrestrial life does not do well in zero-g. And that's for people in peak physical condition, with a strong sense of duty.

Colonizing Mars WILL happen, but it's going to be brutally difficult at first. Technology will make it progressively easier.

>Not to be rude but,
i dont care about being rude so here i go

everything that happens in that movie EVERYFUCKIGN THING is a transportation problem and you have to be a retarded inbreeding idiot not to know that.

every constraint they had was about transportation

Get them some good digging equipment there= infinite underground space protected from radiation.

Hydroponics which is already reliable tested in earth and in space=infinite food

there, i know this must seem genius to you because i just solved in 0.30seconds of my brain power what you couldnt solve in apparently... ever, no matte rhow much time i lfeted you with this ismple problem you would have not sovlved it, i did in 0.30. Anyway, i assure you this is not because im so great, its because youre so bad

>there's no accounting for what a 6 month journey in space will do to people of nominal health, physically and mentally

people already spent more than a year in 0g

>Minerals

But we have those here? In large quantities?

ok buddy u got me

-Tfw people dont get starcraft memes

1) it is, but it remains to be seen how practical it is. spacex advertises to reuse the rockets 3-5 times, but that is still an unproven claim. if it only can be reused once or not at all really, then it is still a great achievement, but not a very practical one.

2) no, it's not. space colonization will be done by robots. there will be some humans to do the tasks robots can't do. mass migration to other planets will happen as soon as robots have build colonies that are comfy enough for a human to stay without batteling starvation every day.

>2) no, it's not. space colonization will be done by robots.
rovers are among the most sophisticated robots ever, and they do jack shit in terms of productive work on infrastructure. it's unrealistic to assume robot technology will be at the level where they can perform colonization work in the next 20-30 years. they are simply too fragile, and bandwidth is too limited.

eventually they will get there, but the first Mars colony will be built by humans.

>Get btfo
>b-bait

If only they could somehow mobilise the robot arms which assemble cars (similar to the cyber knife robotic arm) equip them with state of the art Ai and have them build a habitable eco dome. Once again the problem of transporting supplies is present

also got plastic surgery

They should try to cram a house-sized 3D printer into the faring, if they can do that then an astronaut on the surface can use it to build habitats out of Martian substrate.

Solves the problem of transporting a shitload of material to Mars.

3dprintingindustry.com/news/americas-first-3d-printed-houses-99189/

its hard being a leader because the followers have the responsibility of being critical of the leader to the utmost

the movie was actually about the morality of deception. brainlet confirmed

the reasoning is sound but why is it written like a guy typing with his limp dick while having a stroke?

starwhat? i think its past your bedtime gramps

I was looking into Elon the other day. He's never actually invented anything. He comes up with dreams, then has others make it happen. Technically the man has nothing to do with science, he's strictly business.
If Elon Musk is so great because of this, then the estate of Gene Roddenberry is owed 100 trillion dollars. Hanna Barbera is owed 50 trillion...ect ect

>organizing capital and labor is literally nothing
>nevermind the fact musk has also studied the literature and regularly confers with his engineers at every level

Maybe thinking little too far ahead, but He3 if fusion is ever gonna be viable.

Holy shit, why does everything have to be 3d printing? Can't you just build things without 3d printing them?

You don't need a house-size 3d printer to build a house on Mars. I mean, hell, it's consistently freezing there. There's water in the ground. And the wind is piss-weak. You just have to set up a dirty igloo, and put an insulating/airtight liner inside and an airlock, and there's your Mars house.

Helium and Thorium. Thorium is easily accessible as there are high concentrations of it on the surface from ancient lava flows (i.e. the dark spots on the moon). If we begin to use thorium based breeder reactors regularly, it could provide a reasonable amount of revenue to at least cut down on the costs of Terra-forming/human survival research.

I get that Musk fanboys can be insufferable and that Veeky Forums likes being contrarian, but this really isn't an accurate view of the way the world works.

I work at SpaceX, I'm in no way high up in the company, but I've had a chance to interact with Musk on a number of occasions in meetings. You can regularly see him walking around our production areas and talking with engineers/techs. He can probably list off every single piece of machinery we have, what is does and how much it cost. The dude really does know his shit when it comes to rockets. And importantly, despite his ego, which I'm sure is massive, he knows how to delegate and doesn't pull petty power play bullshit with the senior engineers. As long as you get your shit done here you get a whole lot of slack to do things the way you want.

Also, I run a small machining/fabrication business on the side. It's absolutely peanuts compared to something like SpaceX and I've really grown to appreciate how hard it to to organize labor and resources.

Musk gets a shitload of money to hype everything up and then fail at mostly everything. He's a cunt, really. If you hate giving money to people on welfare then you should also hate giving Musk money for his shit.

Put it in the hands of someone competent.

>You just have to set up a dirty igloo, and put an insulating/airtight liner inside and an airlock, and there's your Mars house.

Plastic outgassing is a problem with the bio-1,2,3 experiments.

What people want can't easily be achieved by throwing money at a company instead throw money at top students over a long period of time to bring up some space engineers, physics PhDs and somehow prevent them from being pilferred by Musk for his shitty electric gocart business

Musk is just taking whatever you give hi

>risk

Being handed taxpayer money means you have no financial risk

>Visionary
He's just a manager, he finds the people who are actual visionaries who can implement this shit and hires them.

The media has a long history of turning boring CEOs into mythological heroes and gods and shilling them like they have some sort of future vision that nobody else on earth has when basically his job is to get tax dollars, answer to nobody and delegate.

>I'm a retard
The post.

>Being handed taxpayer money means you have no financial risk
So you're not even remotely familiar with the early days of SpaceX/Tesla when Musk had a significant amount of his personal net worth tied up in both ventures?

>muh tax dollars
Neets don't pay taxes. Why don't you libertarian retards go back to /pol/.

I donno, NASA did a lot of other R&D that wasnt just space stuff

Hence the American dominance in aircraft well until they started getting their budget cut.

>Musk is a fraud who uses public money for outdated technology
I guess you could see it that way. I think it's disingenuous. First, rockets, let alone reusable ones, are supposed to be robust (hence the "outdated" technology). Second, the gubmint gives him money on contract to fly their shit into space. It's not like they're artificially buoying a stupid industry (commercial spaceflight) for no reason, like some people think.
>Isn't his reusable rocket stage a breakthru?
Yes.
>Is his Mars colonization plan feasible?
Not if we take "feasible" and "likely to be realized" as synonymous. But it is being worked on by real engineers with real knowledge (unlike *cought*Mars one*cough*, so who knows?

Musk also managed to get people to give their money to Paypal, at the time a man on Mars seemed more likely.

Source: brother is a SpaceX engineer.

They did like a decade ago - look where America is now?

> Declining political pull
> Local instability
> Military slowly being matched/outclassed

USA is on the downwards slope, Trump might slow it for awhile

f god wanted us to live in space he would of made us live in space

> FACT

The problem is that 'good digging equipment' isnt that simple

Shits heavy you know?

I think differently.

>10 Jacob left Beersheba and went toward Haran. 11 And he came to a certain place and stayed there that night, because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones of the place, he put it under his head and lay down in that place to sleep. 12 And he dreamed, and behold, there was a ladder[a] set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven. And behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it! 13 And behold, the Lord stood above it[b] and said, “I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac. The land on which you lie I will give to you and to your offspring. 14 Your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south, and in you and your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed. 15 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” 16 Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it.” 17 And he was afraid and said, “How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.”

> Never had to manage anything more than his wifes kids

>10 And Jacob goeth out from Beer-Sheba, and goeth toward Haran,
11 and he toucheth at a [certain] place, and lodgeth there, for the sun hath gone in, and he taketh of the stones of the place, and maketh [them] his pillows, and lieth down in that place.
12 And he dreameth, and lo, a ladder set up on the earth, and its head is touching the heavens; and lo, messengers of God are going up and coming down by it;
13 and lo, Jehovah is standing upon it, and He saith, `I [am] Jehovah, God of Abraham thy father, and God of Isaac; the land on which thou art lying, to thee I give it, and to thy seed;
14 and thy seed hath been as the dust of the land, and thou hast broken forth westward, and eastward, and northward, and southward, and all families of the ground have been blessed in thee and in thy seed.
15 `And lo, I [am] with thee, and have kept thee whithersoever thou goest, and have caused thee to turn back unto this ground; for I leave thee not till that I have surely done that which I have spoken to thee.'
16 And Jacob awaketh out of his sleep, and saith, `Surely Jehovah is in this place, and I knew not;'
17 and he feareth, and saith, `How fearful [is] this place; this is nothing but a house of God, and this a gate of the heavens.'
18 And Jacob riseth early in the morning, and taketh the stone which he hath made his pillows, and maketh it a standing pillar, and poureth oil upon its top,
19 and he calleth the name of that place Bethel, [house of God,] and yet, Luz [is] the name of the city at the first.
20 And Jacob voweth a vow, saying, `Seeing God is with me, and hath kept me in this way which I am going, and hath given to me bread to eat, and a garment to put on --
21 when I have turned back in peace unto the house of my father, and Jehovah hath become my God,
22 then this stone which I have made a standing pillar is a house of God, and all that Thou dost give to me -- tithing I tithe to Thee.'

Read Youngs Literal Translation

Makes it seem more like a

> Insert dream sequence
> Welcome to my crib, i'm big G!
> 'Spread your seed about'
> k-bye

Meh, YLT is garbage (for the most part), since it has very little literary value and it's virtually impossible to actually translate ancient Hebrew into English.

One Midrash suggests that the angels in Jacob's dream are the guides for his descendants (the Nation of Israel) in exile. Some of them are descending to the four lands of exile. Others are ascending. To where though?

>tfw you will never be an actual space Jew in permanent exile on Mars
Feels bad man

Cheese obviously. Then I can stop paying 40 bucks for a 100g of gouda. What a ripoff.

Don't you mean wendsydale cheese
> meme machine

Veeky Forums BTFO once again. Does Elon know we exist?