Hi guys

Hi guys,

I am currently in my first bachelor year of Electrical Engineering. Had a rough start (private issues) and I am not doing so well now. I can complete this year if I am going full beastmode the coming 7 months but that would not be fun or something. 7 months straight studying and no social life whatsoever.

So I am considering of quitting for now and maybe restart in September or switching to another degree. Computer Science and Applied Mathematics are within my interests. I am really interested in autonomous driving cars and intelligent systems.

What do you guys recommend?
Hope this is the right board to ask this.

Cheers from Holland

why do you think you can succeed in mathematics if you can't even survive generic engineering education? honest question

For Heaven's sake, why do you ask for advice from Veeky Forums?
Talk to your friends and parents.

People like to underestimate applied math.

this desu, dont underestimate a maths undergrad when you only have experience of doing poorly in an engineering undergrad

Dont fall for the fucking Veeky Forums memes, mathematics is boring as fuck and not at all a money maker in real life.

Just go for software engineering if you want to enjoy life and make good money.

t. Computer Engineer

> don't do something challenging

t. Pajeet

OP here, i've talked a lot to family and friends but I was wondering what Veeky Forums's opinion was. I didn't do to well because I was distracted by family issues. I do not underestimate maths, I really like it. I passed Linear Algebra and Analysis in the past months.

so what's your question? Please beware that whatever math you learned in engineering doesn't directly translate to learning math as a major. Even if you are aiming at applied math you will still have to go through mostly the same curriculum as a pure math undergrad

Thanks for your advice. I have little programming experience but I really enjoy it too. CS is a good alternative then.

I don't know. EE is traditionally the most difficult engineering major. And unis in Netherlands are tough.

OP, ignore the lazy user who just said settle for software engineering, see:

Basically, if you have drive and a curiosity shoot for the stars, screw picking a safe option thatll net you cash long term, I took physics and for the most part dont look back. At least thats if you have an interest. If youre already settling by the time youre 20, i cant imagine what kind of adult youd make.

He's in Europe, the level is a bit higher.

I am sorry my question was not clear. Which option do you recommend me to do from the ones listed above.

I know the maths in Applied Mathematics is very different from the maths in EE. A couple friends of mine are studying Applied Mathematics. The applications are very interesting. I heard that Math students are generally better at CS than the CS guys.

EE is a joke compared to mine, nuclear

Go to local job sites.
Check employability.
Pretty sure there are more jobs for EE graduates.

You anons seem to have a very skewed view of the entire IT scene. By studying any math intensive programme OP will fuck up his chances of getting any real experience in writing software.

Nobody cares about your math courses, the only thing that matters is what you have developed on your spare time.

OP here, so you basically are saying that I could rather do CS? Some friends of mine in my EE class are interested in maths but didnt choose Applied Mathematics because it was to theoretical.

Too bad every engineering field is a joke compared to theoretical mathematics.

If your long term goal is to become a developer for intelligent systems search for a very good specific major that leads you into that direction. I know dutch universities have some excellent majors.

They are pretty even in terms of difficulty from what I've heard and nuclear engineering job outlook is declining unfortunately

Isn't EE very much about autonomous driving cars and intelligent systems?

This. Absolutely no reason to study straight math if you don't get hard on just doing math on it's on sake.

I'd say EE with CS would be your be your best bet, don't waste your time on math degree.

Not really. More about circuits, signals, electromagnetics etc

I suggest you quit and do what you actually like doing.

I am literally you about 6 years ago.

I wanted to do math or comp sci instead of EE but I made the wrong decision and finished my EE degree instead.

I study math and comp sci now instead on my own.

Are you OP? That'd still be the basis on what autonomous cars function on.

EE with CS is your best bet, or CS with EE. Your choice.

It should increase in the US because Trump goes at half mast when he hears the words "nuclear power"

Read a self-help book, or two.
Exercise both sides of your brain.
Read even one and you can be more emotionally intelligent and mature than ~99.9% of the male population.

why do you come to a shitposting community for advice you dumb brainlet?

“Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn’t.”

i absolutely loathe brainlets like OP

The same goes for Europe desu

t. Jean-Claude

What do you enjoy doing? Writing low level or high level code? Doing physics (electronics)? Just because electrical cars seem cool it doesn't mean you will actually like developing e.g. a battery or writing power steering drivers.

The tech sector is so huge and everything pays well, it ultimately bogs down to what you are interested in.

I chose CE instead of CS because it opened up for more masters programmes at my uni.

There's also mechatronics if you want to mix EE, CS and ME

We do not have mechatronics at my uni. CE is a graduate degree at my uni. You can do CE if you have an undergraduate degree in EE or CS. I think I want to do this master. Do you recommend EE or CS if I want to do CE as a master?

Depends on how your CE, EE and CS looks like. CE at my uni is pretty much CS + some extra math and physics while some unis have completely different CS and CE programmes.

If i had to chose i would pick CS because at my uni it's less abstract math and more applied.

Everything depends on what courses your uni's CS and EE contain

Hmm thanks for your response and time. EE at my uni is tons of circuits, physics, quantum mechanics, tons of maths, computer architecture and wireless data transmission (signals and systems). CS is tons of programming, maths, AI, computer architecture and data things. Both studies are very interesting. The master CE is at the department of Quantum Computing. EE is better for the quantum things but CS is more fun to do I think. I'm going to the study counsellor to talk about this.

Good luck with your study.

Why decide on CE so early?

I think it is very interesting and one of my friends is doing this master. He said to me that he did not enjoy his 3 year bachelor in EE. CE is applicable for both EE undergraduates and CS undergraduates. So he said that he would've chosen CS if he could do it over. I am not 100% sure to choose CE though. Many EE and CS masters are interesting. If you have a bachelor's degree in CS you can do an EE master if you take extra EE courses(minor in EE). So it doesn't really matter what to do for a minor as long it is enjoyable I think.

this desu, try to not close any doors when you haven't event started studying yet. I was dead set on taking as many hardware and physics courses as possible but now i just want to make software.

>Good luck with your study.
y-you too lol. You really should do what you think is the most fun.
Everything engineering related is a pain in the ass, go for CS especially if you think it's more fun. I dont see any reason why you would study EE.

Thanks for your advice

>Dont fall for the fucking Veeky Forums memes,
true
>mathematics is boring as fuck
false
>and not at all a money maker in real life.
true

>Just go for software engineering
false
>if you want to enjoy life
false
>and make good money.
false