G-g-guys, if I can pass calc 1 and 2 with good grades...

G-g-guys, if I can pass calc 1 and 2 with good grades, d-d-does that mean I'm smart enough to study electrical and electronic engineering?

Well, yes, you're probably smart enough to finish university. That's it.

B-b-but what if I'm not smart enough to understand the engineering concepts?

You'll do just fine, just dig in.

I'm going to apply for September. Going to try learn some calc 3 and linear algebra over the summer.

You go do that, user. I'm pulling for you.

Do you know what the Fourier series of x is?

I haven't covered fourier series, just Taylor.

Doesn't matter, you can still finish your degree. Most guys I see at uni. don't really understand engineering concepts or physics. Yes, most students are shit at what they do.

You won't be the best engineer on earth, but you will have a degree. Just try to understand a subfield you like and specialize heavily in that. Take it very seriously. You'll get quite good in your specialization. If you can't do that you can still be a manager at a shitty company.

On the other hand, you might be underestimating yourself, so you should definitely try.

It's too late, you'll never catch up.

I have until September

>Going to try learn some calc 3 and linear algebra over the summer.

Nooooooooooooooo. Don't do that. Don't make my mistake.

I also was a smart retard. I thought "Hey, I'll study the topics for the next semester over the summer. Only in my free time though ;^)" And then you know how much free time I had in my summer? A fucking lot. So I studied almost everything. Then when I actually went to class I was BORED. While everyone else was having fun learning new concepts, I had already gone through all that so it was boring. I got sleepy in class even. I got an A in all my courses but it wasn't worth it. I would rather have fun and maybe struggle lil' bit.

My recommendation is to study topics that are related, but not inside your curriculum. This summer, for example, I am studying game theory. I'll never see that in my curriculum and it will help me develop higher calculus skills and higher logical skills, without learning too much.

I recommend you AT MOST learn matrix algebra and partial derivatives, when it comes to linear algebra and Calc 3. The rest of the topics are too fun to let yourself miss out on the fun of discussing those topics in class. And to fill your time maybe learn analytic geometry in 3D as that may help you with Calc 3 without really spoiling Calc 3.

This, I did the same shit. I spent my summer doing odd number problems out of a calc book and then had to sit through a class and do it all over again.

learning programming is a better use of your time

Good advice!

But I'm paranoid about failing, so I want to raise my chances as much as possible.

Basically, you just have to buckle down and work hard on learning all of the concepts. What I will do is just sit in my room for hours on end and review all of the work that I have to do, as I HATE when a mass amount of people are talking. In my opinion, passing Calculus 1 and 2 is getting a high B or A in the class. Just work hard, understand the concepts, and do problems over and over again. Oh, also, ask people if you have problems. I used to have this problem where I would feel bad about asking for help, but it seriously helps out.

>I used to have this problem where I would feel bad about asking for help, but it seriously helps out.

I don't like asking as I don't want to look retarded.

It's the opposite, desu. If youre getting anything less than perfect scores and not asking for help, then you look retarded. The professor knows this is new material for you and expects you to have questions.

I used ask questions even when I thought I knew the answer because it helps to build a relationship between you and the instructor. Try to be an active learner, not just someone along for the ride.

I TA a couple classes now and I absolutely hate when I'm doing discussion period and no one says anything. I know these kids have questions - I grade their tests. It makes me think they don't care about the material.

Well, maybe I am talking from a position in privilege. I could probably pass a course without ever studying for it, which is why I am optimizing on enjoyment instead of optimizing my odds of passing.

If you have a record of failing then I guess reviewing is for you because if you are truly that bad then by the time classes come you may have already forgotten everything.

Or probably not. If you do not have a record of failing then just optimize for enjoyment because ultimately that is why we are going to university.

I always think I'm going to fail or do bad, but I never do. I can't stop stressing about it though.

does anyone know if poisoning is considered a disease?

>I always think I'm going to fail or do bad, but I never do.

Then chill the fuck out. The only way you can predict the future is by taking the trends of the past. If your trends are "not failing" then you can probably relax for your future. Maybe take some pills, what you describe is not normal. It is weird to stress out. Now, I'm not saying you should do drugs, obviously. I don't do drugs so I wouldn't recommend you to do drugs. But if it comes to that then... do drugs.

Thanks for the perspective user.