Yo

Yo,

so im starting uni next year and i wanted to do comp sci, however when i look at my unis course it actually seems pretty shit, theres no architecture units at all and i really cant tell what its even focused on, it looks like a bunch of random subjects to me

handbooks.uwa.edu.au/majors/majordetails?vdir=mjdcmpsc

the level 1,2 and 3 units barely rely on the ones before it.

So i looked at the engineering degrees and the electrical engineering degree barely touches on that sort of stuff in the third year.

handbooks.uwa.edu.au/majors/majordetails?vdir=mjdengsc

idk what i should do, i have a partial scholarship / grant whatever but its too late to apply to other unis.

Other urls found in this thread:

handbook.curtin.edu.au/courses/32/320911.html
handbook.curtin.edu.au/courses/31/319545.html
handbook.curtin.edu.au/courses/31/319544.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>however when i look at my unis course it actually seems pretty shit
I agree. This barely scratches the surface of a real computer science program.

>i really cant tell what its even focused on, it looks like a bunch of random subjects to me
That's not necessarily a bad thing; computer science doesn't really have a deep focus that everything builds towards. But it is true that this program is far too shallow to reach anything interesting.

>So i looked at the engineering degrees and the electrical engineering degree barely touches on that sort of stuff in the third year.
Yeah; electrical engineering is not in fact computer science.

>idk what i should do, i have a partial scholarship / grant whatever but its too late to apply to other unis.
Find some way to get your ass to a university that actually teaches the subject you're interested in, I suppose.

Not random at all. The requirements are essentially the basic requirements of all CS majors. The only difference I see is only 1 mandatory programming course (normally there are 2-3) and no architecture.

OS, Networking, Compilers, Automata, Programming Languages, etc tend to be electives. You have to build a core before you can take specialized classes.

im looking at curtins program handbook.curtin.edu.au/courses/32/320911.html and it seems way better. their double major also looks interesting but its a 5 year degree

handbook.curtin.edu.au/courses/31/319545.html

or

handbook.curtin.edu.au/courses/31/319544.html

im not sure which one to go after though, ill probs see if i can apply for the july intake or something

the electives dont really cover any of this though, at best theres python as an elective

>OS, Networking, Compilers, Automata, Programming Languages, etc tend to be electives.
I don't want to make this into a dickwaving contest, but... seriously? They were mandatory second-year courses for me. (Automata was first-year and networking third-year, actually. But you get the gist.)

To be fair, the hard-on for CS really only applies in USA. I don't think doing CS in other countries is that great of an idea, especially third-world country like Australia. As far as I know, universities over there are a joke.

Wow, you're so cool.

look i know this is a bit of a joke but i do agree eith you somewhat. i did get accepted into an American college (did sat, applied online, did interviews and stuff) but the costs were just unreasonable.

>i looked at the engineering degrees and the electrical engineering degree barely touches on that sort of stuff in the third year.

The first couple years of an engineering degree is all extremely fundumental stuff; you don't get into the specifics of your field until the third year.

I think the program with the subjects you're thinking of is computer engineering. It's usually the same courses as EE for the first two years then EEs go off and do power electronics while CEs learn firmware and more digital electronics related to CPU architecture. If a school doesn't look like it offers it check if it's set up as an EEs can select part way through.

Should have worked harder in your high school years.

Not that guy, and not compsci (though I've done some basic R programming for my work in genetics), but isn't it odd that one school's electives are mandatory in another school? I understand that compsci is a relatively new field, but seriously that should give you some pause. If there is a standard at competitive schools and your program doesn't measure up, you need to seriously consider going the extra mile or you're going to be seriously fucked in the long run.

In the US IEEE has it so that OS and Networking are required I believe and then maybe 1 of the language theory classes (PL, Compilers, ToC).

At the school I'm currently a grad student at ToC is one of the lowest level CS major class (300 level).

It really just depends how theory based your school is desu. Not all schools are trying to churn out theoreticians.

k, got 22x0 on the sat, which was one of the most pointless tests i have ever taken.

the ee course sort of entails that

"Topics include digital systems and switching networks, Boolean algebra, logic gates, combinational logic, programmable logic devices; flip-flops, counters, shift registers; sequential logic design, state machines, function units; structured central processing unit (CPU) design; microprocessors and programming; instrumentation—sensors, actuators, digital and analogue input/output, motor drivers, shaft encoders; standard interfaces and protocols; architecture and programming of embedded processors, and hands-on experience with embedded system design."

but thats in the 3rd year and to me a bit vague about what you do

You're overestimating Australian education standard. It's really not that great.

Are you seriously bragging about your SAT score on Veeky Forums? Even though you're now in a shit-tier uni.

Yo

Just out of comparison for a solid CS program. That CS program is obviously from some German University. That's what 'I WOULD' call a good program.

not really, i didnt even intend to do the sat, i just did it for the sake of it really. its a terrible test anyway and barely tests anything except your ability to do it. id rather brag about my atar which was 98

really? it actually seems somewhat similar. perhaps ce really is what i meant to pursuit, cs just seems so dead end in terms of furthering your knowledge

CS is essentially split into two branches, programming and theory.

The theory is the interesting part, the programming is the tool.

In theory are things like: theory of computation, algorithms & data structures, artificial intelligence, machine learning, formal logic, etc.

I'm obviously biased away from systems theory which includes topics like: operating systems, networking, computer architecture, parallelism/distributed computation, compilers, etc.

Honestly I think computer science is highly theoretically rewarding and you can find your niche in it. But YMMV. Since you're not even in school you might want to just research a bit about what each major actually IS before making a blanket statement about the entire subject.

That's not CS, that's math. Enjoy no job

Please read more carefully.

what? it is comparable to the course in op and that degree has a huge focus on math german one

OP's program is very bare-bones software eng degree, even including the degrees.

The German one has all of the essential maths that are also taught normally in other universities. The only uncommon ones are the optimization and stochastics. The other math courses are part of the electives.