I have an idea...

I have an idea. Supposedly the rocket equation implies that the more faster each particle you expel goes then the quicker you move.
So why do rockets just explode stuff and ride over it? seems extremely wasteful, youre bound to run out of mass which is your only constraint.

But on the other hand, there's no constraint on exit speed, just direct particles away from you as fastest as possible and then you have a perfect rocket. Seriously just like make a machine that shoots things at an incredibly ginormous speed but expel very little of it. There you dont run out of mass

I seriously doubt this can be that hard, at the very least their evin "lol explode stuff under uss and ride the explosion" seems so retarded than the only explanation i can think of for this being popular is the fact that americans invented rocketry and sometimes "tradition" plays a bigger role than real intelligence and intelect.

so why doesn't the LHC fly away it shoots a few protons at almost light speed??

too little protons, obviously need a bit more, theres obviously a balance, im not an engineer but also not an idiot without doing any math but looking at the basic principle its obvious you can do better

Trolling?
>americans invented rocketry
uhh

>lol explode stuff under uss
That's why you have nozzles. It direct's the explosion to get the optimal kick. There are different nozzles for atmosphere and vacuum.
The only project with the uncontrolled explosions under the vessel was Orion (with the a-bombs).

The ion drives accelerate ions to great speeds. There is little mass used. Those engines are very efficient. Unfortunately the force they apply is low, so it's only usefull in space on unmanned probes.

Now if you come up with a mass driver engine that works - give us a call.

>mass driver engine that works
has anyone tried this?

HAHAHAHAH, ARE YOU IMPLYING NORTH KOREA INVENTED ROCKETRY? HAHAHA AMERICANS WENT TO THE MOON AND MARS FOR AT LEAST 40 YEARS AND YOU IMPLY SOMETHING SO WRONG. FEELS GOOD TO BE SUPERIOR

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! I know op is trolling but i just came up with a genius idea...

so the idea is that mass is limited right? then why not reuse the mass then!!!! RECYCLE IT!! i know this is mad but its SO MAD IT MIGHT JUST ACTUALLY WORK.

You have one big spacecraft docked to a small spacecraft,

nevermind the written explanation just look at the pic

Not to my knowledge. Although the ion engine is the minimum-propellant-version of this idea. Also the NERVA nuclear thermal engine. They used nuclear energy to heat the gas before ejecting it. This meant more energy out of the same amount of fuel but also heavier engine.

I don't think shitting bullets would get you far.

The other way arount - there were ideas of a mass driver on Earth to speed up a vessel on a track, and then release it. But to get through the atmosphere, you would need to start with a speed in which you would melt in the atmosphere.

Not usable in atmosphere. In space using planets as slingshots is easier.

YES, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I MENT.

That's the principle of ion drives. You end up with very little thrust, but since you're using very little mass, you can keep up the acceleration for a long period of time.

As for lifting large rockets, that's not going to work because it takes an awful lot of energy to make particles move very quickly.

>but also not an idiot
Highly doubtful.

>an awful lot of energy
beam the energy or use a long cable

Cables can't transmit enough energy. Also not very good if you want to send a rocket into space. Same problem with "beaming."

Photon rockets have infinite specific impulse but deliver extremely low thrust/watt

There was actually some testing of a laser-fired rocket. A laser on the ground shot at some reactive material at the base of the rocket causing the reaction and lift. It's been several years and we're not seeing it use, so it obviously has some issues.

>It's been several years and we're not seeing it use, so it obviously has some issues.
lol haha, youre probably the kind of people who think "redpilling" is a bad word

why do you think that after 80 years of electric cars being proven objectively superior to bring a golden age of human dawn into cultural history that they just now start to electrice cars?

The Germans came up with rockets in ww2 btw

you met a nerd, congratulations

Goddard

Werner von Braun

bitch, please

>Trolling?
>>americans invented rocketry
>uhh

>Goddard

The Germans did a hell of a lot better, but they had goddard's work to start with.

no, the specific impulse is c/g

If we're getting specific...
Goddard did liquid-fuel rockets.

The concept of "rocket" has been around since ancient China.