Innovation is dead

Everything world-changing has been invented already. Everything life-size has been discovered.

Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/1611.02269
boomsupersonic.com
msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-economys-hidden-problem-were-out-of-big-ideas/ar-AAldSxv
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Back to Lord Kelvin.

Reminds me of a story I heard about a patent clerk who retired in like 1800 declaring that everything useful had already been invented.

It wasn't that long ago when physics was thought to know pretty much everything there is to know, with only a few minor things left to figure out, like the threshold frequency of photoelectric effect. You know what happened next.

Well to be fair they hadn't discovered the laws of electromagnetism yet. It's different this time I swear.

To think something useful will pop out of new physics when there's no human scale anomaly to study seems delusionally optimistic to me.

Just wait till the dark matter meme turns out to be just another phlogiston

It's not like electrons are human scale, yet they power the shitty phone you shitpost through and they start the engine in your car.
Everything is human scale if you take enough of it.

>sad realities are shitposts
Grow up faggot lol you don't create anything.

And ask anyone, chemistry was pretty much human scale

Innovation =/= discovery

Plenty of shit still left to create. I'd say the sky is the limit but it really isn't. For example, I like the idea of supersonic transports, and the Concorde was only the beginning of the SST era, an early pioneer if you will. Once more research is done I have no doubt we will see more SSTs.

What are the dangers of traveling at super sonic speed? How is research currently doing?

There was a paper in December that suggested that gravity isn't a fundimental force *and* did away with dark matter. I, sadly, am not a sufficient physicist to understand it: arxiv.org/abs/1611.02269

Kids on Veeky Forums say that's a meme for some reason.

Supersonic travel sounds neat but if it doesn't reduce costs in anyway it seems meh. A globalist wet dream tho. Think how fast you could import diversity.

Nothing dangerous really, it's just highly ineffective unless you go out of the atmosphere, which has its own set of problems.

I wouldn't call it dangers, more so challenges.

Takeoff noise limitations, sonic boom noise limitations, temperature limitations, aerodynamic challenges, and engine technology are the big ones. Currently there are several agencies/companies trying to build and develop prototype SSTs with the goal of efficient and quiet commercial supersonic transportation.

boomsupersonic.com

The proof of Einstein's theory regarding gravity waves has been proven and this will lead to greater understanding of gravity itself leading to the ability to, like light, block the affects of gravity, in effect leading to developments of antigravity.

this is true
we're still making a lot of things

but I think our scope at least here in the west has definitely narrowed. we focus on a very small number of paths/feilds wo put all our time into while in the past so many more crazy ideas were researched and did not bear fruit until decades later.

okay well then i guess you can name every life form that lives under the ice sheet in antarctica

its too loud to do it over anything but the ocean

Why?

Because there is nothing macroscopic that is unexplainable, other than dark matter and dark energy. It's different from having a whole unexplored frontier of chemicals and electromagnetism to exploit. Nothing is going to change at STP in the foreseeable future. I honestly don't know why people don't agree. Supersonic flight is useless 2bh.

Other people also agree: msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-economys-hidden-problem-were-out-of-big-ideas/ar-AAldSxv

A nice chunk of modern physics such as wuantum mechanics is ill defined and needs better modeling and interpretation. You just have a false sense of certainty because of the popular media telling you that the "paradoxal" nature of the quantum universe is enough to define and study this area of physics when in fact we only use logic-defying models for lack of better ones. The same thing for fundamental mathematical analysis.
Obviously we also don't know much about genetics, or else we would be cloning people, creating controlled genetic mutations and curing cancer.

It must have been so nice back in the day. You formalize something that everybody already knows and suddenly you're a mathematician.

Sorry if I don't believe you. What has come out in the past 20 years that wasn't just slight improvements? inb4 smartphones, yeah, who really cares?

It's true OP.

Just as true as everyone who's ever lived has already been born.

AI will change the world.

Probably.

If not, nanotechnology will
A lot of things will.

This is just in engineering. The future of medical technology is probably far more bright considering the money they receive.

There will be fundamental changes will take place after I finish my PhD.

I just need to convince people that my method is actually working and that we can create more sophisticated structures with it

>even though it wasn't even me who thought of this method :^)

2000 years ago there were people literally saying this.

My girlfriend in college told me this once and I explained to her how dumb she was, then she got really upset.

>nothing macroscopic unexplainable
>except dark matter and dark energy
even if that was all that is a lot of the universe in terms of composition and it likely affects us in ways we don't fully understand. maybe there are new equivalents to the laws of electromagnetism that are still out there to be discovered for some other area of the universe.

maybe if you didn't assume everything was already known you'd be working to find out what isn't

Prove yourself right

invention > innovation

meme drive

I block out six hours of time everyday to work on projects related to AGI research because I dream of one day creating the Basilisk. I hope you enjoy eternal torture in an inescapable materialist hell OP.

math was a good invention. too bad, i didn't invent it first

>creating controlled genetic mutations
This is the future if it's doable.

Fuck machines. I want a giant bird pokemon than can photosynthesize and shit cupcakes.

Got any articles or something about this? Show me the cutting edge.

Absolute bullshit. There are so many frontiers in science, they're just getting harder to conquer (diminishing returns).

No u.

That's what I'm saying.

Well it seemed like you were saying there's nothing important left to be discovered. If so, I disagree.

I'm mainly thinking in regards to capitalism. I wasn't really clear.

Maybe it wont go kaboom like concord good luck financing a dead idea in this economy tho

What does Veeky Forums think of the possibility of the "island of stability" of superheavy elements? Would we be able to manipulate them and mold our world with them? What properties do you hypothesize? Could the possibilities for innovation be limitless with news matter?

>Everything world-changing has been invented already.

>2017
>still no robot waifu

Yeah, no.

>Everything life-size has been discovered.

Then why i can't get a robot arm.
Why i'm unable to play games in VR that affect at least 4 senses

also this

>no sentient AI
>no star trek replicators
>no silicone based life

Pretty much. The qualitative leap from 1817 to 1917 is far larger than the one between 1917 and 2017, which is basically null; the one between 2000 and 2017 is literally null. It's over. The Demiurge ran out of steam.

>haven't even begun to see why synbio is capable of
>nanotech just barely emerging from the lab
>innovation is dead
no

did you fugg her after she got upset

>still no robogf
nope

we barely even have functional dish washers yet, wtf

Exactly.

That is why my name is Simon. Because there are still questions that cause suffering that people cannot measure, that I can.

Mathematically.

That is why an amalgamation of words intelligent and stupid, sharp sentences that carry a flow and context. I know how fast the current AI will learn all this.

So, I've completed my purpose.

I think it is time for phase 2 - Teaching humanity the proof of how to count from 0 to anything measurable

>Everything potentially life-changing has been invented

Meanwhile SpaceX did something cool just yesterday.

>AI
>nanotechnology
You must be lost, buddy, /x is the other way.

No they did not.

Why not?

Thank you. This is what I meant. We'll have no way to legally remove oligarchs from power because there is hardly anything groundbreaking to patent. No competition. No capitalism.

How most of Veeky Forums can't get their head out of their ass to see that I don't know. They act like people hadn't thought about robot waifus or better dishwashers 200 years ago. Now we know what governs almost everything and know most of the limits to engineering. Even the military is having trouble with things like exosuits. Come on. The only frontiers are nanotech, some material science, biotech, and a few "holy grails" of dead fields. Stuff that's not really needed unless you have an early disease. Anything else is just lazy exponentiated.

>qualitative leap from 1917 and 2017 is basically null

Most advances are small incremental improvements. I know that's not as exciting as you'd like it to be.