Is it just me, or does this guy not seem that smart?

is it just me, or does this guy not seem that smart?

i can't tell if he's just dumbing things down, or if he's just dumb.

Other urls found in this thread:

haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/curriculum-vitae#research
youtube.com/watch?v=4z4gISBuDVU
alcalde.texasexes.org/2012/02/star-power/
samkriss.com/2016/03/14/neil-degrasse-tyson-pedantry-in-space/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He's a hack.

He's one of those guys who has made low to middling contributions to the science but has been wildly successful at cultivating his own image and popular interest in astrophysics.

In short, he's decently smart. Smart enough to make a significant scientific impact? No. Smart enough to attract people to the field and gain funding? Yes.

>Low to Middling
That's being generous. Dude wrote a PhD dissertation and was 30th author on a few papers.
haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/curriculum-vitae#research

He's very smart. He's also very good at getting people to like him and what he has to say. He's no Carl Sagan though.

You think he can differentiate and integrate with proficiency?

youtube.com/watch?v=4z4gISBuDVU

If you want to cringe. Watch at 2x.

Couldn't say it any better than that. I think this article from his time at the University of Texas (he "mastered out" of a PhD program) offers very good insight into his persona and his career trajectory since.

alcalde.texasexes.org/2012/02/star-power/

>An obsessive focus on one thing at a time; a strong connection to pop culture, from the moonwalk to the Rubik’s cube; and a refusal to put research first: these traits contributed to Tyson’s failure at UT.

>Yet the same qualities that doomed Tyson as a UT graduate student also brought him the fame and success he enjoys today. His intense focus makes him a riveting public speaker; his cultural savvy is key to his teaching. And if he ever puts research before outreach, the world will see a lot less of him.

>So is the University. Astronomy professor Craig Wheeler remembers Tyson: “Research was not his strength. He was never going to solve any major scientific problems. But I knew he was going to do something big, because he had charisma. He’s warm and funny, but he also has serious backbone, ambition, confidence—and that’s taken him far.”

He's a mongloid

Can there be any smart black people? Not racist when you consider that I'm black. I have an IQ of 128. That's above average at most.

Tbh no great researcher has time for popular studies and not necessarily bad coz we need popsci

>Can there be any smart black people?
Obviously yes. Most black people are dumb, but some of them can be smart

Nigga if you went to Africa you would be an Einstein for them.

If u went to some poor outback in kosovo you would be too

now that is a cogent point

Maybe blacks dont get the oppurtunnity to be smart.

He's kind of smart but arguably the Pope of I Fucking Love Science and therefore an enemy of rational thought. Whatever he says is gospel to the unthinking atheists of the world.

You can't blame something/someone because of their fanbase. He is really good at popularizing science and human knowledge. It's not his fault that a lot of people are too stupid to actually understand what he is doing

>samkriss.com/2016/03/14/neil-degrasse-tyson-pedantry-in-space/

>Like when Neil DeGrasse Tyson quipped that ‘if ever there were a species for which sex hurt, it surely went extinct long ago.’ It’s a perfect Tyson fact, true because it’s basically tautologous, its scientific quality having everything to do with the idea that actual phenomena are just instantiations of abstract laws, and nothing to do with any scientific observation, such as listening to the yelps of cats fucking at night, or to women. Or when his TV show Cosmos described the sixteeth-century astrologer Giordano Bruno as a martyr for science, executed by the Catholic church for proposing a heliocentric solar system. See how the idiots persecute us, the rational, with their superstition and their hostility to objective thought. The reality – that Bruno believed in magic, worshipped the ancient Egyptian god Thoth, and was executed not for heliocentrism but for denying the divinity of Christ – is ignored, because that isn’t Fucking Science Love. Or when he decided that ‘Italy valued cathedrals while Spain valued explorers. So worldwide, five times as many people speak Spanish than Italian.’ A spurious reconstruction of the past from present conditions, or the I Fucking Love Scientific theory of history: successful tribes were populated by little atavistic Carl Sagans; if Italians didn’t slaughter millions in the New World it isn’t because the peninsula was at the time fractured into multiple city-states (some of them occupied by, uh, Spain) which supplied significant amounts of capital rather than colonists, it’s because they weren’t interested in spaceships.

most blacks that i've met in academia are where they are because of affirmative action, i.e. if they weren't black they wouldn't have a chance to get where they are.

How would you know?

Same way the other guy knows about africa.

Welp I can confirm either way since I'm that guy from Kosovo and was pretty spooked :^)

>i.e. if they weren't black they wouldn't have a chance to get where they are.
Nothing wrong with that

He's above average but not exceptional by any means. His talent lies in public speaking (not really) and self-promotion (here he's a legit genius).

This, a thousand times this.

Who cares if he's smart or not? He does actually promote rational thought in front of loads of creationists et al.

Nobody's perfect, and despite his lack of academic outstandings, 'black science man' has one commendable thing and it's that he became a voice for science among the uneducated masses. And he's quite effective in that. Lots of kids are now closer to science and more interested in it than they'd be without his shows, my son included.

For that alone, I respect him.

David Blackwell and Dr. Omalu are arguably certified legit geniuses by their marks, pubs and awards.

>He does actually promote rational thought in front of loads of creationists et al.
Except he doesn't. See

omg he's not perfect, BURN HIM!

He's trying to do the Carl Sagan thing but going about it all wrong.

It's not a surprise, the fucking Family Guy creator bankrolled his Cosmos program. It's filled with lefty junk """"science"""".

>t. butthurt low paid research professor

>Can there be any smart black people?

Unfortunately no. Blacks are incapable of originality and creative thought. They only know how to mimic the achievements of white people.

>Blacks are incapable of originality and creative thought
Probably bait, but
>what is rock and roll

You guys appear to only think one dimensional. He has a working knowledge of physics, but uses his ability to generate interest in science in populations where there otherwise would not be. He is the speaker to congress every year lately to secure funding. That is his skill set, as the middle man. In that he has shown great intelligence and fluidity.

Money keeps the lights on.

Rock and roll is just an accumulation and iteration of previous music styles like all the other ones.

Could one argue that he has more knowledge than Einstein?

i HATE him so fucking much

Brian Cox is cool, Nye is okay, Tyson is a fucking inflamed cunt. he makes my blood boil.

And before every post on Veeky Forums, I take deep hits of N20. I love empty whipped cream.

That is some pretty autistic shit right there.

>new years isn't astronomically significant
>a scale that marks the beginning / end of Earth's orbit, the beginning and end of seasons and allows efficient timekeeping for all events
>not astronomically significant

what the fuck

>the beginning and end of seasons
WRONG

He sounds like a fedora teenager who's so proud of being smarter than everyone

Like honestly dude, chill the fuck out. Stop being such a wanker.

>the calendar doesn't track seasons

? ? ?

He looks shiny and flashy. I'm thinking he's shallow.

If he was smart, he wouldn't need to flaunt prettily because he'd have intelligence to feel adequate about. But there are lots of males and females who only appear intelligent superficially, to the naive and gullible.

You forgot the jupiter tweet.

Are pretty much the correct answers. I wouldn't say he's a dick, but he's pretty arrogant. Charismatic like Sagan, but nowhere near as broadly appreciated. Sagan was someone who could challenge NASA higher-ups and schmooze with politicians about how to fund different NASA programs, not just the Space Shuttle; Tyson is someone who can still secure funding, but will turn off a bunch of otherwise curious evangelicals due to his constant (and somewhat misplaced) disdain for the Church.

He's a hack at best

Creativity works that way. Things aren't created from nothing. There are always elements from other stuff

Not sure what it is about Tyson but I just don't get that same feeling I get when listening to Sagan, almost like he's trying to hard or something. Maybe the difference is Sagan's humility, he doesn't seem to be pushing any agenda, just trying to teach and in the process inspire.

kill yourself

I actually went back in time and researched how electricity works then I went to learn how sound is able to be synthesized creating the first ever synthesizers. Then I needed to create digital storage to replay my music. After all that I was able to make original music unlike rock n roll disgusting thieves.

>Not racist when you consider that I'm black

Oh, you can go fuck yourself, nigger

>arguably certified

You sure aren't, though.

Can one argue that Einstein is a better scientist than this man?

Funny story about David Blackwell, when he met Von Neumann
"He did a year of post-doctoral studies as a fellow at Institute for Advanced Study in 1941–42.[6] At the Institute, he met John von Neumann and von Neumann asked Blackwell to discuss his Ph.D. thesis with him.[7] Blackwell, who believed that von Neumann was just being polite and not genuinely interested in his work, did not approach him until von Neumann himself asked him again a few months later. According to Blackwell on this meeting, "He (von Neumann) listened to me talk about this rather obscure subject and in ten minutes he knew more about it than I did."[8] He departed when he was prevented from attending lectures or undertaking research at nearby Princeton University, which the IAS has historically collaborated with in research and scholarship activities."

really shows how brilliant Von Neumann was

success breeds jealousy