Why does prosperity make people kill themselves?

Why does prosperity make people kill themselves?

If you had a war torn, famine stricken country where every day 95% of the population lives in abject misery, suicide is virtually unheard of.

But the instant the HDI goes up and people start having even the most marginally comfortable lives, they start topping themselves left and right

It's so counter intuitive

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Guyana
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because if youre poor u dont tend to think of more abstract self worth and ambition and neither will the peope you know. When your richer yourr surrounded by competitipn, people being successful so you have to too. Requires more cognitive effort, attention, time. Some cant do it. You get expectations that life is meant to be good. Culture becomes increasingly individualistic. Mental health becomes more real.

If you are poor but everyone is poor around you then even though it is bad, it is okay. You have companionship even in your misery.

But if you are middle class or rich and out of nowhere you become ultra poor to the point where you lose your house, car and abbility to buy gifts or attend parties for other people then you will immediately be isolated and have no reason to live.

the cave.

>You have companionship even in your misery.

this

/thread

because OP, people who are having needs, like hunger is too busy surviving to care about suicide.

I'm from a third world shithole and right now my concern is that I need money to fix my shit toaster.

My goal is to make money and become someone in life, you need to start poor to recognize how having money and all the basic needs matter.

If you're born as a white person in a white society or japanese, you don't know what is hunger and all your problems are pittifull, but because you will never have to confront a real problem, you don't grow as a person.

We grow as persons not by avoiding confrontation, but challenging ourselves with our hunger.

TL:DR whites are too confortable as now and have loss the will to live, that's why muslims and niggers will overtake your civilization.

Humankind evolved to overcome hardship. If your life is so comfortable you never have to worry about where the next meal is coming from, what to do when you're sick, how to escape predators, how to beat the cold, etc. then you spend more time inside your headspace, inventing problems that have no solution.

In short, the neocortex is the enemy of the idle.

Lool do you realise how ironic your first statement sounds? Too busy trying to survive to worry about not surviving? I get what youre trying to say though. Overall i dont like the tone of your message though. And irony is that in first world countries its precisely the niggers and muslims who get hit hardest by mental illness.

Every person defines their misery according to their experiences. If everyone around you is wealthy you feel like an outcast.
Also this.

humans weren't made to have no worries, be sedendary, and not explore or overcome, so your brain makes them up n your mind when in reality you have none.

I'm a taco, so my wording is funny, but the point still stands.
White people live lifes so comfortable they never had to fight or do anything remotelly hard, so they kill themselves at their first problem.

One thing to consider is that we have different conceptions of mentsl illness in the west and third world and that shapes the statistics.

like being gay.

I think thats an oversimplification. And weird thing to say but just as many people in first world havent experienced abject poverty maybe you do not know their experience or suffering. You do not think that maybe their suffering is a different beast to yours. I think theres is a difference between physical suffering and suffering to your self worth. I dont think its as simple as white people havent experienced suffering because clearly they have; its just a different world.

What do you mean? It is a mental illness...

there's not a single poor person in the first world.
shut up faggot.
you think 25k a year is poverty.
Shup up faggot.

A PHD in some engineering local company will make 1k montly here.

I will rather clean toilets and be a janitor in a first world country than being a doctor or engineer here.

Don't come with BS such as "we also have poverty"

Call me when a first world city compares to the level of crime here.
There's more homicides in my city in one week than in a white nation in a entire year.

So fuck off with "huh duh, we also are poor" when you clearly are living first world standarts of living.
A white poor person is basically living the same standart of living a high class person here lives.

So fuck off with your BS.

One thing against your view is that mental illness increases with poverty in the first world so its clearly not about them living comfortably.

OP is asking about suicide, retard.
african and taco nations have lower suicide rates than white nations.

I didnt say that. I said that they have a different kind of suffering and you shouldnt judge others if you dont know what its like. Its not necessarily to do with being comfortable... and what about homeless people in first world? They not poor. They also hit hardest by mental illness. There are still people in first world that cant afford food or heating for their families. You cant say no ones poor in the first world because ive seen it.

Are you retarded? What is the leading reason for suicide? Come on big boy, make yourself look stupid.

they still live with higher standarts of living, also welfare and a bunch of ONG to feed them, which we don't have here.

Any person, even a homeless hobo will still live a safer and higher quality of live than some african person.

give me the reason then.
I'm sure most first worlders kill themselves because their dad didn't buy them a new car or their youtube friends bullied them.

>They also hit hardest by mental illness
Maybe they are poor because they are mentally ill, unable to participate in society.

This is what closing the asylums did, put those incapable of caring for themselves in the public spotlight. Like it is indicative of some failing of capitalism.

I have been poor in America, and I got to play video games and eat junk food and general just enjoy a higher standard of living than all of India.

When you're struggling to feed yourself, you don't waste time wondering "what is it all about?". But once you're comfortable, and able to devote time to pondering the point of it all, you come to realise there is no point. Hence, suicide.

The take-home about this is, if you're worried about something (the meaning of life, suicide, love, whatever), simply immerse yourself in activities and you'll stop fixating on your worries.

What is Maslow's hierarchy of needs for 500, Alex

Even if western countries are richer why is there still this correlation between living standard and mental illness. This pattern exists in thirld world too. Surely by your count, there should be less mental illness and suicide with poverty. My explanation is that culture is different or that there are qualitatively different problems proportionately in the third world. Not that white people kill themselves because they arent used to hardship.

some faggot sizzy teen killing themselves on youtube or some school shooter aren't mentally ill, fucking retards.

True that mental illness does sewm to make you poor but i highly doubt that is the dominant explanation for why poor people are more likely to be mentally ill.

They probably are...

Immigrants also suffer from mental illness more too... surely they shouldnt

>why poor people are more likely to be mentally ill
stop this

>why mentally ill people are more likely to be poor
this is the correct order

Get fucked third world scum.

>try to prove there's poverty in first world
>the truth triggers him
lmao dumb snownigger in first world comfy lives.

Mental illness is pretty widespread in third world countries too but it is also widely stigmatized and labelled as laziness so people don't officially diagnose themselves.

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive, the world is complex afterall
Also i think you need to consider that the wealthier and more supportive your family the less likely mental illness will make you poor. This should seriously affect what you purport.

Its very clear why being poor makes you more likely to be mentaly ill given the stressors it presents. Your hypothesis would completely ignore this.

>Also i think you need to consider that the wealthier and more supportive your family the less likely mental illness

*sips tea*

It's easy for anyone to get laid in those countries. In highly developed nations, not so much.

It's really that simple: deprive someone of a basic human need and they'll want to kill themselves.

This is one thing i thought. The culture might be different. Different ideas about mental illness and even how to cope with it affect statistics. If mental illness is as widespread maybe suicide is different for cultural reasons. Pretty sure self-harm has very large cultural aspect. Could be same for suicide too to an extent. Maybe things like more collective culture dissuade suicide vs. Individualistic ones, for obvious reasons.

Tfw when i have actually seen this before

Nigga people kill themselves everyday in India and China due to exam stress.

Mine is so eroded there's a little hat of self actualization balanced on a thin pillar supported on a worn-down hill of safety and basic needs.

I understand why people might want to kill themselves.

Sign of westernization.

Same. Just need the courage.

I've also heard that a sufficiently deprived person will never feel the need to go higher on the pyramid later in life if they finally manage to fill one of the lower rungs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Guyana

>taco nations

kek

The more you know the more pointless you see it all is.
Poor people don't have time to sit around and pontificate existentialism.

Highest suicide rates by country:

1 Guyana
2 South Korea
3 Sri Lanka
4 Lithuania

Aside from South Korea, those aren't exactly rich high HDI nations.

There might be something to colony death theory, but it's fairly obviously not the only factor and there's no direct correlation. There might be something to be said about people struggling just to survive are more apt to have something to live for - knowing that they must survive to provide not only for themselves, but their family, while in a more developed nation, the family will go on just fine without them. Aside from that motivator, however, it seems to be largely a cultural issue, and not as anything clean cut as any particular religious outlook, or any particular living conditions.

Like nearly everything else with human behavior, there's a lotta nuance involved, and things are very rarely so black and white.

It's worse to be a loser when you realize you don't have to be and everyone knows it too.

Also the lower down the prosperity scale the more inaccurate the stats, when you factor in religious states, Papal or Islamic, the stats regarding suicide are highly skewed lower. Higher up the prosperity scale, less religious, suicide stats are more or less accurate.

Life sucks for most people when you get right down to it, it's an understandable out in many cases.

people die in famines, too, you retard!