Is getting a degree in Geology worth it or is it a meme ?

Is getting a degree in Geology worth it or is it a meme ?

Petroleum geologist is basically god-teir

>not doing petroleum geologist journalism

It's like you want to secure life as an indentured faggot

desu i was more interested in hydrogeology

everywhere i look though for geology and job outlooks it's either "yeah there are jobs" or "fuck no there are no jobs don't do this"

then again i hear that about almost everything

Petroleum geology will be a dead meme 50 years from now.

50 years from now I'll be retired so does it really matter ?

It's a pretty autistic degree for people who had pet rocks as children.

Petroleum geology will be a dead meme 20 years from now

It rocks

gneiss pun

Yeah.
The most employable science degree.

I took a rock jockey class, it was pretty comfy.

Couldn't really give enough of a shit about rocks to study though. Not even sure I passed.

Do what interests you. If we only did degrees that got us jobs, we'd all be business management students.

What are some Veeky Forums outdoor fields? I hate being on the computer all day.

An indentured faggot with a fuckhuge bank account

It's for dudes who like to smoke weed, drink beer and look at rocks

this

>It's for dudes who like to smoke weed, drink beer and look at rocks

I knew a geologist. That's pretty much what he did.

He also was into jui jitsu and was kind of a bad-ass jackass.

Is a masters really necessary or is it ok to just have a Bachelors?

Yeah I don't know any personally but judging from the geologists on here and the geologists that my friends have told me about I think it's a pretty accurate conclusion

It's fun, especially geophysics and plate tectonics. It's harder to find jobs though, so if you are not really into it, go for a degree in physics, chemistry or biology.

Depends, do you like getting stoned?

I'm finishing a geology degree in April. Something I've noticed about the degree I'm getting.

My university graduated about 400 engineers and computer scientists last year. We had 6 geologists graduate from the program last year. I've sat in geology classes with 3 people in them.

I'm taking statistics this semester, dead last because fuck stats. My teacher put the statistics of the majors up on the board day 1 to introduce us to statistics. The class is 40% biologists, 25% exercise science majors, 15% computer science, and has exactly 1 (me) geology majors. This is despite the fact that as we consume the world's resources we need more and more people trained to find them.

My friends who graduated are getting $60,000 a year jobs right out of the gate. They are paid to stand around sipping coffee and say 'yup, that drill core contains sandstone', go hiking, and examine rocks used for building foundations. Exactly none of them I know are working indoors.

What the fuck are you people doing?

> My friends who graduated are getting $60,000 a year jobs right out of the gate. They are paid to stand around sipping coffee and say 'yup, that drill core contains sandstone', go hiking, and examine rocks used for building foundations.

You are making me sad. My life was ruined by being a normie.

I really just don't want to end up with a job where I sit in an office 5 days a week for the rest of my life. Just being able to go into the field a couple times a year would really help.

What "job field" is that? Exploratory geology mapping?

not spouting off to others about a career that people sleep on