First day of real analysis

>first day of real analysis
>walk in, sit down at desk
>one minute before class starts, instructor walks in with briefcase
>early 30's poo in loo, Martin Shkreli hair, sweater with collared shirt under it and slacks
>can tell this guy is going to be a douche
>opens briefcase and pulls out stack of blank 3x5 index cards and ziploc of ballpoint pens
>passes out an index card and pen to everyone
>doesn't even introduce self, just says "This is your first quiz. Using the card and pen I provided you, prove Gauss' Divergence Theorem. I'll be back in 10 minutes"
>get stuck and fill up my card with scratched out shit
>he comes back in exactly 10 minutes later and collects the cards
>flips through them like a flipbook then tosses them into his open briefcase
>the splatter everywhere
>says scoldingly, "You should have had no problem with that if you're ready for this class, if so, welcome to Real Analysis. I'm Dr. Barashmashgash" (or whatever the fuck).
>immediately starts on material

Wtf did I sign up for?

Other urls found in this thread:

washington.edu/students/crscat/math.html#math124
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what school do you go to so i know to avoid it?

What school did you go to so I can apply to it?

>pure math
>memorizing theorems
>applied math
>putting the theorems to work instead of regurgitating them
i'll stick to my applied math.

>analysis has no place in applied math

wew lad

I got my comfy hybrid course with lovely video lectures from a lad with a soft Texan accent.

feels good man

though the 2 hour/week in-class meetings are totally nerve wrecking because all the lectures are online and everything else is group work/activities I'm too retarded to do on the spot

you must be a sophomore.
has your advisor told you what you're taking for the next two years?

lol just lol

I remember my first optimization problem

That doesn't sound like undergrad real analysis, OP. Unless he was just testing that you can perform a proof I think you should bail out and take a real real analysis class with someone else. This guy is probably going to skim over the fundamentals and try to teach you material that you'll go over in real analysts II.

>Using the card and pen I provided you, prove Gauss' Divergence Theorem

He doesn't say what results you can use in the proof, so just write it is a trivial result of the generalized Stokes' theorem.

F

Or OP made it up, not knowing what real analysis is about.

fucking ridiculous how does he gets to understanding part or not something which goes well with him. That's a bummer.

Did OP say he was in undergrad?
This exercise is perfectly doable for someone with enough mathematical intuition to make it in a career where real analysis is needed.

Yuropoor here, someone fucking explain to me the difference between Calc I, II and III and Real Analysis I, II and whatever else.

you didnt take out phone and google it to btfo the professor when he came back?

0/10

calc 1: derivatives and some maximization/minimization problems and riemann sums

calc2: integrals and i don't remember

calc3: more integrals related to 3d shapes and i don't remember

calc4 or multivariable calculus: mega integrals and danker 3d shapes and more methods to calculate wild shapes using integrals

intro to proofs and mathematical induction: self-explanatory

real analysis: proofs behind calculus and random shit

In Europe we have calculus in prep school/gymnasium/high school, this is what they call Calc I in America.
Calc II is multi-variable calculus and vector calculus.
Calc III is differential equations course.

washington.edu/students/crscat/math.html#math124

Stroke my Theorem till I come baby

> real analysis: proofs behind calculus and random shit

So you're telling me they don't teach Calc with proofs?

What is this? When do they take 300's courses? A lot of this stuff we did in the first year.

I don't get it. I'm not getting anything. From what I see, there's nothing special, so why the fuck does everyone say US unis are so much fucking better? What the fuck is happening here? Is WSU just shit, or is it like this everywhere?

pure kek

>So you're telling me they don't teach Calc with proofs?

Only in honors calc

In Europe we always get taught proofs. We had calculus proofs in high school.

No you didn't. You're probably confusing them with laid-out theorems and facts to help solve those problems.

Lol even here in Mexico we do that.
>mfw amerifats don't take topology until grad school

>stocce
fucking kek

Listen, having an algebraic manipulation of a formula (such as the power rule for differentiation) is not the same thing as analysis.

In HS I did "proofs" ans did saw some set theory and logic and methods of proofs in general. Yea, it was still mostly plug and chug and algebraic manipulation, but we derived shit. In uni I started by constructing the reals first in the synthetic approach and then with cauchy sequences. We had the formal definition of a limit some basic shit about accumulation points and continuity/uniform continuity. We then went on to define the derivative and (with the definition of the limit) prove all the most important results and then went into application. That was calc 1. Calc 2 we motivated and constructed riemann sums and proved all the properties of integrals from that construction, then we proved the FTC and went on applications. In calc 3 we generalize everything, but we motivate many basics notions of topology and proved basically everything. Calc 4 the same with calc 2 but the professor had to admit that certain proofs were not in the range of the course because it dealt with measure theory but we proved whatever we could.

t.Spic

Americans are so fucking retarded. They don't even have first order differential equations in high school.

Applied math student here.
We have to know how to prove theorems too. At least here, in Russia.

And yet Americans are the only ones to set foot on the moon and we are the ones creating every single major technology that everyone in the world uses.

wew lad

You think that would have happened if we didn't import all the best german and japanese scientists after the war?

How's your Fichtenholz m8

>They don't even have first order differential equations in high school.

literally kek, I didn't know schools in first world could be this inefficent

Dude, they did, Europe has higher standards. But only the French got results for some reason.

Operation Paperclip.
Never forget it when talking about how the US got to the Moon.

bull fucking shit you proved fundamental independence or taylor's theorem in your cal 1 class dont even lie to me you stupid snow nigger

if you're so smart help me with my OP

I'd like to believe this is true but I've literally never met a European who wasn't incredibly average intellectually

He probably thinks delta epsilon "proofs" of limits are analysis tier.