Any actual organic chemists here?

Any actual organic chemists here?

I'm actually organic.

I did pre-med. I hated biochem. Occasionally I see organic chem gurus on here, but I think they are much rarer than the mathfags and csfags.

i had 4 weeks of organic lab experience. but no im no organic chemist.

but what is this some kind of retrosynthesis ?

yes?

How would you retrosythesis something like resin or honey?

Yeah, graphical abstract for a total synthesis. I thought this was Shenvi's, but his was way better (enantioselective, gram-scale).

You'd find the molecular structure and start thinking backwards about which bonds to break. Something like honey, which contains multiple compounds/sugars/water, wouldn't be something you synthesize.

I feel like every reaction requires its own lecture.

Learn to understand trends, then.

From top to bottem

Seasalts
Oliveoil
Natural sparkling miniral water
Honey
Ash

Then i some hennep powder ontop of the oil. And i got this wierd reaction

It ended like this. And i somehow got little burn dots on my finger from touching it

I'm not a synthesis guy or anything, but I'm working in a lab right now pertaining to halogenated organic research. Finishing up my last several credits then applying to some grad programs. Have always been keen on physical/computational approaches to chemical systems.

I hated organic 1 and 2. Just recently took some mathematical chemistry classes though and I love VBT/MOT/Group Theory. Wishing I could go back and retake organic again now. I just didn't have a mind for it then. Not enough numbers.

Forgot this pic

>jiadifenolide
>jidf
Nice try, shlomo

Are you that one kid who mixed every soda in the restaurant together and then added ketchup, mustard, and pepper too?

Does corrosion count

Nah, just experimenting on how to get solid metal out of ash and organics.

Look up barnstone, fytoalgea, metals in ash and how gold can be extracted for sugars

This is why you really should have paid attention back in gen chem when they were teaching lewis structures, hybridization, acid-base reactions, reaction rates, and nonmetal trends.

Probably this site is littered with autists

I'm an inorganic chemist but do a lot of organic synthesis in my research

I did a bachelor and a master degree in organic chemistry, it's always been my favourite since high school.

thanks for that useless addition

Got to perform my first undergrad Suzuki reaction last week.
Let that lil boi flux over night and cashed in a 98. Getting laidium with palladium.

Anyways, grad students in here tell me how your life is going, how your job prospects look.

>orbital hybridization

If only I had cared at the time... how much trouble it would have saved me.

The professor even said "you will revisit this in organic chemistry" but I didnt heed his warning.

Orbital hybridization outlines geometry and allowed reactivity. Both are also tied in together. It is definitely important as it acts as a foundation for many fundamental concepts.

The funny thing is that we treat orbitals as these tangible little balloons that snag, snatch, and get slammed by other ones; it's easy to forget they aren't actually real. This is an important thing to keep in mind so that you don't get mad when exceptions to the predictive power of orbital description (which is very powerful mind you) arise in your study.

yea cunt, watsup

And what do ya ass do now?

>Let that lil boi flux over night and cashed in a 98. Getting laidium with palladium.
What the fuck

Fuck this made me laugh

>how your job prospects look.

>Buchwald more like BuckWILD

Graduated in July, I'm currently employed in a big multinational for a few months, at least at the beginning.
I'm pretty happy of the job, even if I work on polymers (not really my field), I have to find an alternative to a compound currently used, so I stay a lot of time in the lab a do stuff related to organic chemistry.

could you give some links on that? it seems extremely interesting

Yeah wassup

How hard was organic chemistry compared to general chem? How hard was biochemistry compared to organic chemistry? How hard is inorganic and physical chemistry compared to these?

3rd year in my ochem degree and i want to kill myself :)

On my 5th year for a Bachelors and I'm ready to get out. Have about half my credits because lol Catholic collage and not that I'm going to a "real" school I can't hack it. Sucks to admit it, but 8 months in retail was bliss compared to what I'd been doing.

In terms of difficulty:
General < Biochemistry < Organic < Inorganic < Physical

wrong if you're a physics person, then p-chem is just fun chem physics

Naw, just depends on the field of study. Some organic reactions are e.z., but some are really fussy and require a little mojo to get right and purify well. Some physical chemistry isn't all that difficult because it's just tweaking empirical parameters until you get a good fit. Some is -- obviously -- quite difficult. Just depends on what a lab in question is doing.

I'm an organic chemist, I study rubber technology, ama

are you free for dinner tonight?

Pretty sure he's talking about the difficulty of the classes, not of the labs/research. In which case I agree with that order

>tfw I start my Pharmaceutical Chemistry degree next fall
I'm frightened.

Graduate?

Undergrad, I'm finishing up my AS in Biology right now.

heh
First year OChem, people tell me it's shit, some tell me it's easy. Only reviewing the gen chem portion, so I can't tell yet. Well, what is it?

if you don't mind me asking..How much is the salary for your position? Are you able to work your way up within the company?

>Undergrad

> AS in Biology
Oh nevermind. I was about to tell you to shut the fuck up and go back to high school. Thanks for clearing things up.

Tbh im still a fucking intern at the moment. The alcohol made things seem better than they really are...

Job prospects? Hahaha what a joke.

Take it from an actual chemistry grad student:

For the love of god change to being a CS Major or software engineering or something. Chemistry is dead.

Right now I'm just an intern until May, but the salary is 800€ (~857$) which is, in Italy, pretty good for an intern position. Probably the best you could find.
If I play my cards right, I'll probably be able to achieve a nice position, maybe even somewhere un Europe.

Naa, that's not true. Most of the jobs are probably about polymers and formulations, but it's not dead at all.

it's dead bro. everything and i mean everything is being outsourced to pajeets and changs
trade isn't the only thing they're beating us on bro

Am I the only one that goes to a school that just offers a B.S. in chemistry? It seems like a lot of people are mentioning majoring in OChem or whatever the fuck and it's weird sounding to me

>it's easy to forget they aren't actually real.

W-what?

wow this thread actually took somewhat off, wouldn't have imagined

fortunately I'm not from the US so chances of getting semi-stable jobs in pharma are decent

Actually my degree it's just "chemistry", but given the exams I chose and the field of my thesis, I know a lot of organic and just a little more than the basic stuff on the other chemistries.

Production might be in Asia, but research is still a thing in Europe, at least now.

Naw, they're not outsourcing the "big picture" work. Just synthetic work that's easily confirmed by a QC check: nothing on the upper end.

They're just descriptions of probability. MO's do a fantastic job of explaining much of chemistry but it's easy to fall into the trap of assuming that they're balloons of electrons in space. Orbitals themselves are just mathematical functions that describe areas of some threshold probability and don't necessarily describe the behavior of electrons

what hapening if to lectrens smush each another wen orbit?? is nuke??

>don't necessarily describe the behavior of electrons
When don't they?

muh mnp bro, whats crackin

How would you describe the work culture in industry. Are you allowed to have a work life balance or is it just more of the academic the 70hr work week publish or perish shitfest.

>Implying anyone on this thread is talented enough to do anything other than synthetic work that's easily confirmed by a QC check

It is definitely not like university, at least not where I work.
I mean, if you want to get promoted you might want to do a little more, but there are people there who barely do something and still have the job, so...
Can't say in general, though.

how do I convert an carboxyl acid to an amide without the use of an acyl halide step?
What temprature does the reaction need to be to directly convert it?

>he unironically believes probability has physical meaning

It's dead. Stone dead. If you don't have a dick you can suck at Dow you will be going back to school for a new degree.

Reduce to oh then put in ammonia to make yourself an imine

But how do I get from an imine to amide then?

>he doesn't QM

Neither do you. Orbitals, hydrogen atom, and quantum harmonic oscillator do not count as actual QM.

touche

...Any number of peptide couplings? DCC, DIC, WSCD, PyBOP...

The most I did was orgo 1 and 2 in pre pharm.

yuck.

organometallic / inorganic is way cooler

see
I dont agree that its "dead", but your future is dependent upon choosing the right field when you start and hope that 5 years from now its still relevent. I think I did a good job researching my field, plus I am half on an engineering project. Otherwise computational is useless in the chem world, pchem completely useless, catalysis pretty much useless unless you have ties to an oil company, organic AKA the chemistry fields greatest lie ever told. "lol there's so many jobs in organic though!". no.

Probably there are more jobs for analytical chemists, but I find organic chemistry way more interesting. Also I think it's easier for an organic chemist to understand analytical chemistry than viceversa.

Use HCTU. You could also use PyBOP or ANY other peptide coupling reagent