"degrees Kelvin"

"degrees Kelvin"

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0n9QSJXVICJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"fahrenheit"

For a few years, that was the correct way of saying it.

Yeah but just because people used to do it didn't make it right in that moment.

"Meters per second per second"

Nothing wrong with m/s/s.

Confusing. Is it m*s^-2 or...?
Just say metres per second squared.

>mili amp(year) per [math]0.0002\overline{7}[/math] hertz

>Euler
>Fresnel
I seriously hope you guys pronounce these right

>nanosecond grams per gallon

>a massless, infinitely long rope...

>assume a frictionless surface

Mètres par seconde au carré

>If-loop

>uniformly charged infinitely thin infinite plate of negligible mass

I'm from Germany, so most German, English and French names get pronounced correctly (and actually most Italian and Spanish names as well whenever they show up). There are few exceptions, namely "de Broglie" or "Huygens". It's pretty fun to irritate other people with the correct pronunciation of those.

Then I was at Fermilab for half a year and holy shit they just don't give a fuck at all. I mean, they have a completely different concept of what it means to pronounce something correctly. So if I would say "Euler" correctly, they would say "What?" and I repeat "Euler, well, I believe most of you would recognize it as 'Youler'", they would accept that but have not even the trace of an interest in what the names of those scientists are actually pronounced like. No, in their minds, there is whatever some people in Europe call it and the CORRECT AMERICAN PRONUNCIATION. I swear, someone actually corrected ME and told me what the correct American pronunciation is. Couldn't believe the ignorance, but that is actually what many Americans think.

Shit. I wonder if I pronounce the name wrong. I say it similar to "oiler". Is that the dumb pronounciation?

>Assume unreported child sex trafficking statistics in the United States were similar to those found in Columbia, what would be the...

That's the correct one

Should be alright. It's not about that though, it's just about the attitude behind it. I completely understand that "Youler" instead of Euler and "Gawshian" instead of Gaussian in the middle of an English sentence is just easier to say. But assuming it's correct because that's how we do it here in America is just a terrible attitude.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. Fermi Lab is in my home state. I hope most of the people being lazy with pronunciation were from out of state... Either way, sorry that you had to listen to some lazy Americans.

>Confusing
How? "meters per second per second" can only mean one thing. It's less ambiguous than "meters per second squared" since:

"meters per second per second" can only be [math] m/s/s [/math] which is only equal to [math] m/s^2 [/math]

whereas

"meters per second squared" could either be [math] m/s^2 [/math] or it could be [math] (m/s)^2 [/math]

>inb4 it would only be the second case if it were "meters per second all squared"
No it wouldn't. "meters per second squared" could be either case.

How are you meant to say Gaussian?

"g-ow-see-an"

ok good

>can only be m/s/s which is only equal to m/s^2
(m/s)/s != m/(s/s)

>Poy-son

>La plays

>thinking someone means meters when they say "meters per second per second"
Literal autist.

>"imperial system > metric system"

>Pythagoras
"poo-ta-GAW-ras"
>Euclid
"ey-oo-cleyd-(ehs)"

>"ey-oo-cleyd-(ehs)"
This is the correct pronunciation.

Explain to me how this post is anything but you being a pedantic piece of shit to try to justify the stupid way you do shit.

>Saying 'efficient' instead of 'effective.'

>Newton's calculus

But the post he replied to was completely about making no mistakes
If there is any autism it is the previous one

Meters per second squared is ambiguous. It could be m/s^2 or (m/s)^2.
If you cant grasp that, then i cant do much for you.

>let

If you want to go by the greek pronunciation it's
Pee-tha (as in thumb not the)- go (I can't give a good example of how gamma is pronounced, it's more of y really)- ras
and
Eff-clee-this

fuck newton's calculus, i only use limits

> Einstien

>Dr. Soos

Let's make a list
>L'hospitals rule
>Imaginary numbers
>String theory
>Le random quantum face

>Assuming X it's okay to do Y
Ishygddt

Good one, but does anyone ever say that?

>the proof is trivial and has been left as an exercise for the reader

Yes but not intentionally.

>string theory

this one actually makes a lot of sense

>Oy ler
>Fray nell

>-321
>>>"minus three hundred twenty-one"

"fault line"

>C-hash

>visual studios

>MATHLAB

oiler
freznull

Wtf? Do they mean an if loop with a goto to the beginning at the end (which is the same as a while loop) or just a simple if statement (which isn't a loop at all)?

>le x face
>>>/reddit/

>C programming codes

>Kilowatt Hours
just use fucking kilojoules

>not using KVA Hours

>attend thermodynamics lecture just to see how much of a joke physics is
>professor says "degrees" Kelvin

>using kelvins to measure temperature and not giving it units of energy like it should have

i'll never get over it

Then why don't call it "Meters per squared seconds"?

I don't get why it matters. When someone says Kelvin, I know what they're conveying. When someone says degrees Kelvin, I know what they're saying. I care 0 about the pedantics involved.

Why should temperature have units of energy? I'm genuinely curious (well, I'm curious if the answer isn't "natural units," which I understand, but frankly, is a shit argument).

>the mass of this steel spring is negligible

This

nice b8. subtle.

If you are serious you haven't understood a single thing about thermodynamics.

thermo was a joke. It's just an exercise in looking up the correct data table of properties and interpolating to a plug and chug formula. No real learning occurs.

And yet you don't know the difference between energy and temperature. Sounds like an issue with the student rather than the subject.

Yeah, obviously no learning occurred in your case. Sad!

energy can be described as force over a distance and distance (as well as mass and time in force) is more fundamental than energy i guess? idk this shit is all made up we dont even have a standard for mass yet just the shitty IPK

>ft, in, oz

if(bool == true)

Just shut up man

Euler, like ruler.

>the lap-lace transformation

I had a guy in my class that pronounced it like that.

You need to be more tolerant of other's accents, Nazi.

>Galois

how do fuck do you pronounce that!!!

"maths"

That's acceleration.

Ga-LUH-eye-oos

It's a French name. It's pronounced Gal-Wah.

vocaroo.com/i/s0n9QSJXVICJ

fucking kek, that's a good one

>"Kir-JOFS" law

It's a French name, It's pronounced 'Gas-qwain'