Anyone use Anki to study?

Anyone use Anki to study?

Maybe for Spanish. I don't use flash cards that often otherwise.
Also, Studyblue is best flashcard app.

Ask med students forums and subreddits. Most use Anki.
Usage for math and programming, like Janki method, all boils down to practice problems prompt. Not so exciting. For science, the best approach is still to do as much problems as you can.

I found it a bit better suited to language (used it for Russian with success) than to STEM, but it can be helpful with just about any subject. Speaking as a mathfag, the built-in LaTeX compatibility is particularly useful. Every student should give Anki a shot IMO.

I use it for pretty much everything. I'm using it to learn french, look up Fluent Forever - Gabriel Wyner, it's a godsend for learning languages.
I'm a math student so I use it for memorising theorems, definitions and methods. Also just because I can, the square and cubed numbers up to 100.
I use it for learning terminology, countries, and just anything that can be written down in either pictures or a line or two

Do you make your own cards or use a shared deck?

I used Anki for years for japanese and still do. Be very careful with how you use it. It's not the god's gift to learning that many fags will claim it is.

Be picky on what you add. Delete or suspend leeches and spend time getting the cards to look right with nice formatting and pictures(or whatever works for you). Otherwise you are wasting your time. The general concept of every card should be something simple so you can do each one in about 3 seconds.

There are things Anki just doesn't handle very well, like context specific words with many meanings and the like. I still use it because I haven't found any alternative but it's not a perfect system. It's better to make each meaning it's own card or making the card about the general concept. If you put more than 2 meanings on a card you are probably wasting your time.

If you go to /a/ all they do in the Japanese thread is wank to Anki and download premade decks and set them to give them X cards a day which I've found over the years is the opposite way you should actually use this thing. You ought to personalise the card for you and add the context you saw the information in, in one of the fields and stuff. That makes it relevant to your brain.

Yes. Anki + method of loci + n-back training = god tier memory

Holy shit thank you for this post. I'm currently Studying J the DJT method; could you maybe go more in detail with using Anki for Japanese?

>method of loci
isn't this just the method of using mnemonics?
>n-back training
sounds gimmicky desu

Share your deck pls

t. fell for the /a/ meme

>isn't this just the method of using mnemonics?
lmao no

>sounds gimmicky desu
probably

An example. Here's a word: 四神相応. A 四神相応 according to the dictionary is "an ideal topography for the four Taoist gods, with a river in the east, a broad avenue in the west, a basin in the south, and a hill in the north". Try remembering this garbage in Anki. What should you do? If you put just 四神相応 on the front and the description on the back, you dun goofin. I didn't do this with this card, but it highlights a problem with Anki. Imagine actually trying to remember this garbage.

However, look at pic related. That's a 四神相応. The concept is not that hard even if you can't remember which direction the river, etc are supposed to be in. So you can make a card with pic related on it, just for the general concept. That's easy to remember(at least for me). This gives you the idea and if you actually care about which direction the river and mountain are meant to be in, make other cards for those(I didn't).

Certain cards I used to make had too much information and were too complex. Sometimes you won't even notice this because even a few short words can represent a complex concept sometimes.

I think as a rule no card should take longer than 3 seconds if you know it. If it does it needs fixing or deleting. If you just stuck 四神相応 with the description on the back you might think you'd remember it eventually anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if you only remembered "taoist, something with an ideal something" after about a year and that's all. Anki does have a system for identifying leeches but it's not very good. A lot of people turn it off. So do I but that doesn't mean not dealing with leeches, it just means identifying them yourself. Don't hesitate to delete or change if a card just "feels" hard to do. Getting the card right the first time helps though obviously. In summary, format the card, find pictures, find whatever you need and keep the concept simple. I try to make everything "easy" and every card doable in about 3 seconds.

The DJT you are refering to is the /a/ "Daily Japanese Thread" right? I recommend avoiding it. A lot of people don't know what they are talking about there. They do the Anki wanking I talked about, but worse, they also give false advice in order to troll people(or they just don't know what they are talking about). Almost always you will get at least one troll answer. I would tell everyone who wants to learn Japanese to avoid those threads.

Here are some other things I do in Anki(I also made this post)
What I do in Anki is I don't set daily goals on what to add. I think setting Anki daily goals was a mistake. I don't say "I will add X cards a day". Yesterday I did zero new cards. I think you should add things to Anki you already know, and want to "not forget". This is how they tell you to use it anyway but a lot of people seem to not. Rather than adding things to learn, I add things I already learned. So I can remember. My goals revolve around the native material instead. E.g. reading for at least X hours a day. I just add what I want, I don't see Anki as the "main thing" to learn with so I don't worry too much about adding things or not. If I got something completely wrong, like I thought it meant X when it meant Y, then I usually add it.

I try to use scripts and things to speed up adding of words but I'm not a programmer so I wish I could do it faster. E.g. I sometimes have to take a screenshot, resize it, then put it in to Anki which takes a while. Not setting a daily limit helps, since you don't feel pressured to add it if you want to. Even if you tell yourself you shouldn't make a card hastily, I think it's just psychological that you want them over and done with if you had a goal of having to add them.

I handle multiple meanings with color coding. This is the best I could come up with and it's still not great. I tried all sorts of ways to handle multiple word meanings. Anki is not great for multiple meanings. (cont)

See my problem is that I use DJT's core6k deck for learning as well as for retention. What is the best way to learn then? Just research the kanji/vocab?

Today's new plan was the following
but I guess that's out the window. Really, I'm lost and have no idea what to do now.

I use it for Japanese, but I restrict to vocabulary only. Grammar has its own books and resources and if you want to remember words then just read. Don't fall for the Anki trap

The best system I could come up with is pic related. So a word like 山 is usually やま, but it can be read さん as a suffix. I put the reading and the meaning I am trying to test on the front in this case, because I already know 山 can be やま or さん. If I didn't know that I could make another card for that if I wanted I guess. See how the pictures are red and green too? So it's like, the meaning, when I remember it, is "colored" in my mind. This is important. I don't try to remember やま, number 5 is guess. That's too hard for me. We all know that blood is red right? We don't have to remember that separately. So in the same way, there is a やま which is "that" in my mind and it's colored green. Like I said, important. I don't want to try and remember the meaning and which number reading it is and the reading.

So there are 6 or 7 山s in my mind. Since they are based off the Pokemon versions (red, blue, green, etc) I can recall them in order, just as a side effect. But I don't try to associate them with numbers, I could actually delete the number to be honest. There are just multiple やまs floating around in my head, each one a different color. But because 1 is always red, 2 is blue, etc, I can think of the color to get the number if I wanted. Just like you can tell me the color of blood.

Problem is of course, there isn't really a "color" to the meaning. So I can only learn the color from Anki. For example, you can't read a book and see 山 used like this and have the "green" part reinforced in your mind, because that's just something I made up. So it's not perfect of a system. Maybe I will change my mind one day and say this is not a good way of doing it, for now this is what I do. For color related words, you also need a way around it. For example 赤 means red but it has lots of meanings to do with red related things, and you shouldn't be coloring them blue.

>See my problem is that I use DJT's core6k deck for learning as well as for retention. What is the best way to learn then? Just research the kanji/vocab?

So my recommendation was based on what I do:
>What I do in Anki is I don't set daily goals on what to add. I think setting Anki daily goals was a mistake. I don't say "I will add X cards a day".
>My goals revolve around the native material instead. E.g. reading for at least X hours a day.

I recommend just doing lots of Japanese stuff and maybe pick out some stuff, add it to Anki. If a card is too hard, don't be afraid to delete or change. Set goals based on actual material, like reading for 2 hours a day with a texthooker if you are a beginner. Don't worry if you don't understand every single thing. It's actually better not to assume you know. Even dictionaries are wrong sometimes and there are meanings that aren't in the dict. Don't worry about Anki goals like adding X amount to Anki. Add stuff if you feel like adding it.

Do spend time with native material each day and will get gud slowly over time.

thanks senpai

I use it to study the glolious nihongo

glolius huh

it's good software. too lazy to make decks though.

you know what he meant by this

bump

Jesus fucking Christ, will you weebs fuck off?

Yeah, for everything from learning Japanese to Math, Physics, Computer Science, etc.

share your deck pls