What the hell is Cern? I've heard some sketchy shit in my days, but this one definitely takes the cake. I mean...

What the hell is Cern? I've heard some sketchy shit in my days, but this one definitely takes the cake. I mean, can somebody with a reliable source tell me what they are experimenting on?
Also if you're wondering, i'm not into the field of science, but just wondering

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider
physics.org/article-questions.asp?id=103
telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/5852237/Apollo-11-Moon-landing-ten-facts-about-Armstrong-Aldrin-and-Collins-mission.html
cds.cern.ch/?ln=en
youtu.be/j50ZssEojtM
home.cern/about
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Literally just google it. Check wikipedia. Why so lazy? It's why you're a failure.

>can somebody with a reliable source tell me what they are experimenting on?

It's researchers financed by EU countries. Can't tell more, just that they have build a 27km wide particules accelerator in Switzerland

>I've heard some sketchy shit in my days, but this one definitely takes the cake
Yes, I figured. There's literally nothing sketchy about it, except maybe bribes during construction who the fuck knows.

They basically smash two different particles together (ie. proton and lead ion) that were accelerated to very close the speed of light.

This is done using superconducting wire, which is wire that has been cooled to cryogenic temperatures to conduct electricity without resistance.

Then at the moment of collision, a big magnet squishes the particles together.

At different sections of the tunnel there are different observation stations, such as ALICE or LHCb. That's because there's no point in accelerating the particles if you can't see what's going on.

They are trying to find new things about the standard model, and verifying theories.

Oh, it seems like i was meme'd hard.

well that's good to know

Also not everything that comes out of the LHC is to be taken as true.

There's a standard of verification using sigmas. For example, a experiment with a 1-sigma result is very bad and should be dismissed. An experiment with a 4 sigma implies is a clue but not something certain. An 5-sigma experiment is considered a discovery.

I'm not exactly sure how they measure the sigmas, but one part of it probably has to do with instrumental precision and percentage of errors.

Thing is, something large as the LHC is really hard to ignore, and although they say something, it's hard to believe. Or well, i'm not a goat like the rest of society, so i don't take an excuse easily, i need some kind of proof. Like when a boy has a telescope, the only one in the world. The boy tells you he sees wonders, he sees angels and demons flying. You don't believe him just because he has a telescope. Until i see them, i wouldn't bet on the things he says.

Maybe that's just how i am, and hopefully a lot of others too

I am sorry. That is secret. Totally hush hush. you will only get the cover stories.

Pic. related.

lol the scientific community doesn't just believe them either, it takes a lot of effort to convince scientists

Oh and speaking of only one telescope, did you know the US could've had its own super accelerator, even bigger than the LHC and a decade earlier?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider

Blame Bill for abandoning it

>I'm not exactly sure how they measure the sigmas

the greek letter sigma is used for standard deviation in statistics

see:
physics.org/article-questions.asp?id=103

The House killed SSC. Blame the person holding the knife, not the one who failed to stop it.

>tfw Texas would have become a science utopia

Allow me to be pedantic:
>hey basically smash two different particles together
No, they smash two of the same particles together.

>Then at the moment of collision, a big magnet squishes the particles together.
They're squished together shortly before the collision. Also, there are many other magnets in the accelerator, their purpose is to keep the particles in a circular trajectory.

By the way, quite a bit of the technology, for example the magnets, from the SSC was later used when building the LHC.

The Milky Way has about 10^11 stars in it which take about 250 million years to make their orbit, rarely colliding. At CERN, they collide roughly that many particles together every nanosecond, and by judging how the pieces fly out, we try to piece together how they worked (obviously taking advantage of large statistics and computers). The greatly simplified idea is that we know what the particles we collide look like on the outside--but we want to learn about their insides. And since we can't very well set up an operation table on the order of 10^-10 meters, our best strategy to get the pieces is to blast them out of their containers. The crux is that they're moving so fast that they effectively have the same temperature (temperature is just a measure of kinetic energy or speed) as particles near the Big Bang, so it helps shed light on the earliest history of our universe and the inner dealings that formed together to give us what we see today.

I find it hard to believe something so large, power consuming, and useless doesn't have some other purpose.

>give us money and space
>what for
>to smash particles together
>and then what
>it might do something

Yeah this would never fly they need something else.

It is nothing, but the best method to acquire grant money. People make entire careers grant chasing.

they're teleporting shit, obviously

Word is they're working on technology that creates mini Kerr black holes by way of the LHC, and then they're stripping the black holes of their event horizons via electron injection by way of something called a "lifter". They're then sending objects through the singularity, where space and time switch places, in order to experiment with time trav-

>CERN
Oh my bad. I thought you meant SERN.

I think CERN's just crashing shit at close to light speed to observe the elementary particles.

john titor

Yeah that too, like they're doing something in the name of science (The exact same as NASA), they literally spend hundreds of millions on something that we aren't sure of. Take NASA, it's been proved that the first moon landing cost

>The Apollo space programme cost was given as $25.4 billion, around $150 billion (£93bn) in today's money.Jul 18, 2009
-telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/5852237/Apollo-11-Moon-landing-ten-facts-about-Armstrong-Aldrin-and-Collins-mission.html

and CERN
>The Large Hadron Collider took about a decade to construct, for a total cost of about $4.75 billion. (...) CERN contributes about 20% of the cost of those experiments, which is a total of about $5.5 billion a year. The remainder of the funding for those experiments is provided by international collaborations.

I mean, Surely they can't spend all this money and expect us to ignore that. Not to mentioned, some people around the world aren't still 100% sure that mankind hasn't reached outer space (not me, but I know of some).

Even if it's for science, fuck science if you can spend all that money on us, the people. I mean sure it's for evolution and all that, but there are astounding numbers, even on an international scale.

Surely that doesn't make me the only one that's sketchy AF.

CERN is an international laboratory group, with a lot of resarch topic, the lhc is one of them.

cds.cern.ch/?ln=en

The lhc is two very very big electro magnet, with in a point of the circle some monstous detector, nothing else...

ps, if the church was not afraid by the atom theory, we don t see this kind of wacky story...

opening portals to hell. just like in doom

CERN is a rap group

youtu.be/j50ZssEojtM

The LHC is exactly the same way. They have two separate groups analyzing all data. The two groups never share research so that only conclusions that each group has independently reached but support each other are considered for publication. Also anyone with a powerful collider is strongly encouraged to try to replicate the results. However, because LHC is largest in the world the replication can be rather difficult.

Please check the website out. It's cool!

home.cern/about

I visited Fermi Lab. You probably are mostly referring to the particle accelerator.

It's really neat. They basically levitate particles using magnets and accelerate them around in a giant circle so that they get them moving at extremely high speeds.

Then they smash the particles together by having some of the particles travel one way in the circle and some of the particles travel the other way.

And they have 1-2 stories of sensory equipment surrounding the particle crash site to collect gobs and gobs of data.

The sensory equipment looks for electrically charged particles, neutral particles, and other particles that are very hard to detect.

It's basically a very unique experiment that can only take place in a few places in this world.

>they literally spend hundreds of millions on something that we aren't sure of.
It is in the nature of research to look into things we are not sure of. Looking into things we are sure of would be, well, strange.

>I mean, Surely they can't spend all this money and expect us to ignore that.
Researchers do not want to be ignored according to my experience.

>white people.webm

they're trying to use micro black holes to create a time machine, which they will use to enslave the human race and become the permanent rulers of a worldwide dystopia.

the boogie men

CERN is evil, and will rule the world.....

Crispr but larger

Basicly this. I filled in the blancs

>>LARUDO HADURONO CORIDURO