Habitable Planets as Fuck

>space
>Ctrl+f habitable planets
>44ish

Let's talk planets. So it looks like these little guys are far and few between but I'm more concerned with 2 likelihoods. I wanna know the probability that mankind will survive to develop hyperjump technology to visit these fuckers. Also, I wanna know the probability of there already being intelligent life on at least one of those 44 planety doohickies.

Feel free to math my shit up or use conceptualizations.

Pic is the top 10 planets that can, most likely, sustain human life. Distance from their Suns are in AU (astronomical units). Neato, huh?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxima_Centauri_b
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I just shit out a habitable planet lmao

venus, mars, and mercury are all "potentially habitable planets"

If earth had more or less atmosphere, it would also not be habitable

The idea that a space faring race needs a fucking habitable planet is nonsense

>I wanna know the probability that mankind will survive to develop hyperjump technology
You mean like FTL technology? Hmmm I say maybe like a millennia from now we will have something like it. That's being highly optimistic though.

>build big rocket
>land on venus
>push the planet's orbit further away from the sun using the big rocket

Few more minor engineering deeds, and you've got yourself perfect earth 2.
>inb4 impossible

>turn Jupiter into a small sun
>warm up Europa
>have a water world

Thanks Monoliths!

Unfortunately it's unlikely we'll make it to any of these planets. Our current pace of technology might allow us to reach other planets/moons in our system, but these exoplanets are many light-years away and would take hundreds or thousands of years to reach.

Even so, these planets might not be as hospitable as we'd like. Sure, they're rocky and have water, but it takes a lot more to sustain human life. We'd need to bring a lot of minerals and nutrients with us. You'd also have to factor in cosmic radiation, which cooks your DNA. And then there's the social aspect of it. How will you choose hundreds, or even thousands of people to go on a one-way trip to a place where they will all need to be hyper-vigilant engineer-mechanic hybrids to solve the cascade of problems they'll inevitably face? Can a society isolated from the rest of Earth and built from the ground up thrive? Or will it turn into a dystopian autocracy?

continued.

As for alien life, it's summed up pretty well by the Fermi Paradox and the Great Filter. You have various stages that look something like:
>Unicellular life
>Multicellular life
>Complex life
>Intelligent life (humans are here)
>Space-faring life

Since it took billions of years for us to reach complex life but only tens of thousands of years to reach intelligent life, and we have yet to detect space-faring life despite the age of the universe, that suggests to me that either we are behind the great filter, or space-faring life (a la Star Trek, Star Wars) only a momentary flash in a species' progress. We might develop technology that lets us transcend time and space (a sort of cosmic Nirvana) just a few hundred years after space-faring life.

Either way, we're either alone in the universe, or we're not, and both of those options are pretty scary

>will it turn into dystopian autocracy

I think you might be surprised but we had those, have them, and will continue to have them here and it's not as bad as meme tv shows make them out out to be. Unless of course you are deluded enough to think humanity will morph into and maintain whatever ideological fairytale you've conjured up in your mind.
In addition, it's more likely it'll be oligarchic dystopia as great leaders are quite a rare thing.

The rest are technical problems. Self-fabrication is one, and the second is closely related but biological - artificial wombs.
You get those two going and you can get people anywhere, eventually.
I'm convinced these two will be reality by the end of this century for reasons other than space colonization though.

While on the topic, the whole anti-authoritarian "rebel" fad is very interesting, and probably left over from the boomers bringing down the Man, since even the individualist western societies are moving towards greater government control, and the populations seek authority to take care of and provide for them.

But given how favorable our planet was to promote diversity and the fact that relativity inhibits the detection/communication of other species, isn't it completely likely that aliens and us aren't alone but trapped within a sphere of time and circumstance that our physiology doesn't allow to escape from?

Yeah and maybe it isn't
There's just no way to tell

You can pry my Enlightenment ideals from my cold, dead hands, autocrat.

You might be right, though, that western society will not survive into the space-faring era, considering rugged individualism isn't really going to fly in a space colony.

You have to go back.

>but these exoplanets are many light-years away and would take hundreds or thousands of years to reach.
Still doable
just a matter of scale
That's all that life on earth is after all
Obviously not any time soon but quite possible according to existing technology/science.

Go watch some Issac Arthur videos. We don't need habitual planets we only needs planets mass for our space habitats which give us more land than any planet could.

It would be a small brown dwarf pointless.

Also if you have the technology to do that better just mine Jupiter for it's mass and fuse that. It would last a lot longer than just have it spewing out energy all over the place.

How about a /distance relative to the earth/ ranking?

My guess is they are all thousands of light years away ;_;

Or more likely life is just not that common. On Earth life only seems to have started once. It then spent most of that time being single cell organisms. Eventually it became more complex life and in a small section of that became multi celled. Then a even smaller portion of that it became the macroscopic life we would recognise. Then a very small time of that it became humans who have spent most of their existence as hunter gathers and have almost died off (had a population around or < 10000) twice and have spent most of the time that we have formed technological civilisation with primitive technology which can't be seen from space.

People keep talking about all these needs for a great filter or some higher thing.

The answer is simple life isn't that common, when it does form it's not complex. Even if it does form something complex and macroscopic it probably won't have intelligence and even when it does hunter gathering is most likely.

Over 1 billion years of widespread life on this planet and we've had radiowave generation tech for less than 200. And even then the probability of receiving anything other than noise at the nearest stars is minute.

Proxima Centauri is 4 light years away

>hyperjump technology
We are going to die on this rock if we allow retards like you to bread.

If you go North to the Arctic or go to the middle of a forest or desert the frontier people you will find are individualistic people.

That's been true for thousands of years. Even in the Roman Empire the people living on the outreaches of the empire in freshly "liberated" land were idealistic rugged individuals.

Those who went to America were a mixed of religious extremist (by modern standards), religious heretics (by past standards), capitalistic individuals. We can expect the same to happen again with space.

Most of the Apollo astronauts were very interesting individuals from Pete Conrad (rep for being slightly crazy) to Alan Bean (rep for being slightly dumb), Buzz Aldrin (rep for having an existential crisis about)

Your feels aren`t arguments.

Typical I watched a vsauce/Michio Kaku video once culture.

Or magical faster-than-light travel simply doesn't exist and all the other space-faring races in the universe are too far to ever contact us

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxima_Centauri_b
>It is unlikely that Proxima Centauri b is habitable, as the planet is subject to stellar wind pressures of more than 2,000 times those experienced by Earth from the solar wind. This radiation and the stellar winds would likely blow any atmosphere away, leaving the undersurface as the only vaguely habitable location on that planet.
If scientists want to find earthlike planets, they need to look around sunlike stars.

Jupiter is a gas giant. You can't mine it.

So 40 years assuming we figure out how to make a ship that goes at .1c.

>Lmao he thinks Venus could ever be habitable

It's stupid shit like this that is the reason youre doing stupid shit.like this. If you'd just spend time taking care of the planet you're on you wouldn't be wasting time looking for another to think about traveling to and you wouldn't need to. Fucking retaturated.

This is sadly the most accurate I think. We'll probably end up establishing some sort of slightly dubious first contact with alien life but that would be about it. It would be amazing scientifically, but the prospects of not only regular communication but of any type of visit at all is preposterous with our current knowledge. Shit is too far away. Space is too fucking big man. If something changes these cold facts, it will not simply be the attainment of gradually improved tech from centuries of labor and study. It will be a paradigm shifting, reality bending, almost holy type of discovery

No matter how well you care for this biosphere, eventually something will take it out, or it'll self destruct. It's not a matter of if, but when, and whether you'll any have eggs in another basket before then.

Dun need no magic FTL if you have biological immortality or near to.

Though it may still be that intelligent life is rare enough only show up in one of a few dozen galaxies, in which case, yeah, we're still never going to meet said.

But it may also be all over the place, and just not prone to building super-structures or spreading everywhere it can, as, perhaps, being biologically immortal forces you to put a cap on your population, which in turn creates a cap on your power needs. Then you only need enough colonies to prevent extinction from cosmological disasters (maybe two or three, depending on where in the galaxy you are), each with similar caps. Civilizations that fail to abandon the infinite growth model simply don't make it to the stars before they exhaust their resources or destroy themselves.

Or everyone who reaches a certain stage of development realizes the Higgs field is unstable, and decides to somehow abandon the universe to save themselves from the inevitable false vacuum apocalypse.

In some ways, it's actually a better bet, particularly if the atmosphere can be burned off in a chain reaction as some have proposed. Better gravity, more geological activity, less radiation issues. Probably even more time involved in terraforming though, lest you wanna just setup colonies in the upper atmosphere, but given how close it is, that's not much better than rigging up some rotating cylinders in orbit, in terms of backup plans.

81%,also no hyperjump technology
91.7%

>IF YOU HAVE THE TECH TO GET TO THESE PLANETS
>YOU HAVE THE TECH TO MAKE ANY PLANET HABITABLE, OR BUILD YOUR OWN

Yeah, so there's no point and who cares.

Why are half these planets depicted as having oceans when we really don't know what they look like visually? Also, without an oxygen atmosphere, these planets are worthless for colonization and implying these fabricated "habitability indexes" mean anything is literally unscientific and well into "scifi bullshit"

We have one planet, earth. Life was created and exists on one planet, earth. interstellar travel is a meme, cryogenic statasis is a meme, aliens is a meme. While I appreciate your little fantasy here, it's just escapism. You're in the only home humanity will ever know, why aren't you ruling over it?

Even if we declare Al Gore and Black Science Man the emperors of mankind and take 100% perfect care of Earth, it will eventually be heated to the point of developing a runaway greenhouse effect like Venus has due to the Sun's increasing luminosity in a few hundred million years. That isn't even accounting for other naturally-occurring events that could wipe us out, like a huge asteroid or Yellowstone erupting or an intense burst of radiation from a nearby supernova reking our atmosphere.