Ok Veeky Forums, let's see how smart you really are...

Ok Veeky Forums, let's see how smart you really are. Here's a question from a prestigious math olympics held in India last year for the most gifted high schoolers in the country.

>For all even integers greater than 2, show that it can be expressed by sum of two prime numbers.

The problem's made so if you have a high school level knowledge of math (or maybe freshman level depending on a country), you'll be able to solve it so no "if or buts". Now, the kids had 35 minutes to solve the problem but let's face it, since you're not a real prodigy, you have one hour to solve it.

Feel free to ask question for clarity. "Absolutely No Googling or asking others for help other than this thread". For those of you that know the "answer", give others a chance to tackle the problem or post with spoiler.

Your one hour starts... now! Good Luck!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbach's_conjecture
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbach's_conjecture

he already resolved it though

the "board humor" on sci is by far the most repetitive and unfunny bullshit on Veeky Forums

For a prestigious "Math Olympics" the sentence structure is absolutely awful, even for India.

This specific problem has still not been officially solved anyways so I don't know why you ask it.

The reason is because no even number greater than 2 is prime. Which means that all given numbers greater than 2 are odd.

Any odd plus another odd equals an even because they each have an "extra 1" which combined would equal the "2" to round off the number.

4 (even) is equal to 2+2 (two primes)
6 (even) is equal to 3+3 (two primes)
8 (even) is equal to 3+5 (two primes)
10 (even) is equal to 3+7 (two primes)
12 (even) is equal to 5+7 (two primes)

If you noticed, the proof is that by the time the even side reaches 12 (3+9) is no longer viable because 9 is not a prime number. The solution is to realize that the setup of prime numbers allows 5 to replace 3 which adds 2.

The cycle continues forever.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbach's_conjecture
I told you to put spoilers for the solution.

Also here are some example of the problem.
4 = 2 +2
6 = 3 + 3
8 = 3 + 5
10 = 3 + 7, 5 + 5
... so on.

It's just based on the properties of what defines a prime number that makes the difference here.

Damn, you autists really are no fun!
Fine, here's an actual problem for real. Let's see if you actually an IQ above 145 or just a punctual grammar nazis acting autistic to compensate for the sub par IQ .

>A two train on a straight tracks are headed toward each other destined for a collision. Train A has a velocity of 5 m/s and Train B 10 m/s (Notice it's meter per sec to make calculation simple). Now, there is a fast fly buzzing between the two train at 50m/s. The fly also flies straight on the track and is stuck between the two trains. The fly bounces between the trains, that is, when it touches the head of a train, it'll instantly fly in the opposite direction at 50m/s bouncing back and forth between the trains. When train A and B is 900 meters away, how much distance will the fly travel before it's crushed by the two trains colliding?

>For all even integers greater than 2, show that it can be expressed by sum of two prime numbers.

The givens I used:
There are infinite integers.
There are infinite primes.
All prime numbers are NOT even.
All prime numbers are odd.
One is a prime number.
Two is a prime number.

Any two prime numbers can be added together to make an even number (therefore, not odd). For any even number, there is at least 2 odd numbers that can create the sum of that even number. Since there are an infinite number of even integers and an infinite number of prime numbers, any even integer can be constructed by using the sum of 2 prime numbers.

I'm certain, using this method, that I could find 2 primes that add to equal an even integer (given a lengthy list of all primes, of course.)

>posting unsolved problems that had their own thread yesterday thinking you're funny
not even a single kek given

Before the fly can touch a train it first has to travel half the distance between it and a train, and before it can do that it must travel half of that distance and so on ad infinitum.
QED the fly will never get crushed.

The proof is trivial and has been left as an exercise for the reader

Well, my bad I don't visit Veeky Forums erryday. I just decided to come take a look after a year because last time I checked, it was filled with bunch of autistic retard who, I was sure wouldn't even be able to get past their 101 weeder course, talking out of their ass about subjects waaaaaaaay above their head. Seems like it hasn't changed from a quick glance though.

Oh, and Actually has a simple solution on how to solve it. Took me about 5 min to come up with how to solve it and 30 sec to calculate it when some one asked me about it. I don't like bragging about IQ measure because I think it's stupid and irrelevant and scientist and mathematicians should actually be measured on how much discovery, progress and publication one makes, but y'all seem to adore it like a holy grail. So at least prove that you got a high one by solving this.

>All prime numbers are odd.
>One is a prime number.
wat

4 = 2+2
6 = 3+3
8 = 3+5
10 = 5+5
12 = 5+7
14 = 7+7
16 = 5+11
18 = 7+11
20 = 7+13
22 = 11+11
24 = 13+11
26 = 13+13
28 = 11+17
30 = 13+17
32 = 13+19
34 = 17+17
36 = 17+19
38 =
48 = 43+5
50 = 43+7

38=19+19

What was the name of the Math Olympics? (I'm a high schooler from India, just curious)

Did anybody solve the unsolved problem?
(Same highschooler from India, genuinely curious that I have not heard about this Olympics)

what would you do if someone actually prove it in this thread, OP?

Pajeets, scums of the Earth.

He should first give a general term for all primes. Let's see

he's trolling you retarded pooinloo

i meant, how would the op react if someone actually sovled an open problem on Veeky Forums?

It's easy, just sum the geometric series

I would seriously shit bricks and sincerely congratulate their amazing feat and be in the archived thread for the rulz. Also, seeing that nobody's even attempting , unfortunately it seems like it's true that Veeky Forums is nothing more than self-proclaimed 'smart' ass.

That's one way, but there's a much easier way, also, how would you setup the series?

If I don't get a answer in 30 more min, I'm just gonna post it.

Let prime be 2n+1 , n=0...i. Then just go from there

obviously disregarding odd numbers that arent prime.

So, do YOU have a solution for , not_even_smart ass ?

agree with the geometric series comment. it's also the same thing as one train going 15 m/s into a wall.

I do, like I said, it's amazingly simple once ppl realize it. I'm waiting to see at least some one in Veeky Forums can answer it. I mean even I was able to see it pretty fast. I had slight sliver of hope in Veeky Forums, but maybe it was in vain all along. There's 20 min left but I'll just post it if y'all gave up.

the samefagging is real

1km

No, but good try.

Don't you understand I'm trolling him too? I know all of the "prestigious math Olympiads for high schoolers" happening in my country, but I guess someone might be retard enough to do such a math "Olympics"

the fly is going 50 m/s, so you can just figure out how long it takes for the trains to hit each other....

Alright, there's 10 min left.
Here comes a major hint.

>You don't need to use series to solve the problem.
>You need to look at it from a physics perspective, it's all relative. Change your view point, literally.

Yes! Thank you!

The answer is, key one, just view one train being stationary. Just add two velocity and make it look like that train is crashing into another stationary train.

Key 2, the fly just flies at constant vel 50m/s, so you jus need to know the time to know the overall distance travelled. So 900m/(15m/s)*50m/s = 3 km.

I'm glad someone gets it, though unfortunately most of Veeky Forums seems to be full of self-proclaimed prodigies.

My bad should have said 3km

>*muffled von neumann laughter in the distance*

Easy af, the trains crash in 60s (900/(5+10)). The fly keeps flying at 50m/s until the trains crash. 60s*50m/s=300m

Mfw I fuck up the calculation part: 3000m obviously

A prime number is a number that cannot be decided by 1 and itself. One is a prime number because it cannot be divided by 1 and itself.

Divided* sorry, mobile

>crying in a post because an user says something mean to you
many keks given

just calculate all it in head lmao

>x=1

C=(x)E-1/(1+M)= a fucking shadow

Dumb indians. At least I poo in the loo.

ITT once again a kid has managed to lure all the kids on this board to solve his homework.
You never cease to amaze, Veeky Forums.

I don't know about that but when I was in hospital looking up at the ceiling tiles, it occurred to me that all square numbers are sums of consecutive odd numbers.

It shouldn't require an IQ of 145 to solve this.

it didn't : /

>A two train on a straight tracks are headed toward each other destined for a collision.
There's no such thing as destiny, so the problem cannot be solved.

A+ work