So what exactly is negative mass? How could mass ever be negative...

So what exactly is negative mass? How could mass ever be negative? Is this a "dark matter" kind of meme thing where your calculations don't add up and you add "dark stuff" to make it seem viable?

So what exactly is a negative number? How could a number ever be negative? Is this a "dark matter" kind of meme thing where your calculations don't add up and you add "dark stuff" to make it seem viable?

So what exactly is negative energy? How could energy ever be negative? Is this a "antiparticle" kind of meme thing where your calculations don't add up and you add "anti stuff" to make it seem viable?

So what exactly is negative girlfriends? How could a girlfriend ever be negative? Is this a "dark waifu" kind of meme thing where your pick-up lines don't add up and you add "dark stuff" to make it seem viable?

Brother, what exactly is negative oats? How could ones' oats ever be negative? Be this a "dark forest" kind of meme thing where thou rooting doesn't add up and thou addeth "dark stuff" to make it seem viable?

Physical mass is never negative. It's always positive. You can find literature on "negative mass" and "negative energy," but this is all pretty technical and unhelpful. Basically, when one writes down a theory, they write down "bare quantities." These things can be positive, negative, infinity, whatever; doesn't matter. Because in physics, all that matters is what is observable and that the theory is internally consistent. And, after some mathematical nonsense (renormalization), we find that no matter what we inputted into the theory (positive or negative), our final masses for the particles we can actually observe are ALWAYS positive. Dark matter is no different what so ever. Dark Energy is a bit more complicated (to be honest, nobody really knows much about it), so I won't say anything decisive about that.

I realized I should correct myself in a minor way--EFFECTIVE mass can be negative (not for a fund. particle, though), and energy is a bit arbitrary and can be negative in quantum mechanics (bound states are ones with E

The number itself is never negative. Say you have 5 apples and you eat 4 of them. Great, 1 apple remaining. Now if you had 5 apples and wanted to eat 6 of them, it's not possible. So negative numbers don't exist elsewhere but in some crazy scientists head.

Appels are mass

Now try this

>put 5 apples in a room with 1 lightsource.

You have 5 apples and 5 shadows of apples.

>shadow of an apple is the negative apple

Now trow 1 apple at the source of the light (a lightbulb) until it breaks.

>the whole room is negative

Positive masses attract each other, negative masses attract each other, and opposite masses repel each other.

Lrn2physics

To contribute something to effective mass - In solid state physics (especially semiconductor physics), for the description of electrons in solids, one uses effective mass to relate the energy E to the wavevector k (i.e. the dispersion relation).
In a simplistic model, the dispersion relation is a parabola and the reciprocal mass is basically the curvature of the that parabola. Since for band diagrams also negative curvatures occur, the mass would have to be negative as well (think of it as a fudge factor to fit the original formula of the dispersion relation).
To complete the picture with respect to the dispersion relation, the absence of an electron in a particular state is called a hole (i.e. there just nothing there) and has thus "negative mass".

The "negative mass" also arises as an effect of the description of the hole. The conduction is still done by electrons, but the description is easier via the quasi particle "hole" that has negative mass and is positively charged.

An object with negative mass would go ftl, since our laws breakdown past that point, we don't really know what could happen.

"Negative" is a mathematical notion. When doing physics, antimatter may appear in an equation as a "negative mass", but that only means it's the inverse of "normal" mass.

Could it like something like this?

Does a photon have a shadow? Would that be FTL ?

Now that is an interesting thought. I suppose it would be ftl if there is ftl.

Mass on a reflective wavelength to that of our own, its basically caused by difference in electric and magnetic fields. Here on earth on our magnetosphere has a higher standing potential than our ionosphere this creates a theoretical field of difference in the favor of the magnetosphere,(let's call it the positive field and ionosphere the negative field) this difference works out to be the force of gravity also but I'll get to that later. So the earth has a positive difference in electrical pressure acting on its mass as it moves through space causing a positive displacement in space( I don't believe einstines relativity is correct, but I will use terms sprung from it for simplicities sake) causing the fabric of space to curve around this mass.
Now if we have a body with a negative difference, so the potential in the ionosphere is greater than that of the potential in the magnetosphere will produce a negative field of difference, which I can only theorize would have an effect of negative displacement acting on space, causing the body to be warped by space and not other way around which is where my knowledge ends and things get a bit complicated and I keep getting coming to the conclusion it should create a singularity

That would also make a shadow cast by a lightsource always bigger than the light that shines from that lightsource? Is that why our univere is dark? Most of the matter is hiding in the shadow created by our sun?

I have limited knowledge of science but i can visiualise it like when you take a piece of thread and you hold it tight between your fingers and rotate it so that the rotations will tighten the piece of thred. It wil rotate around itself. Pic is kinda related

And would you rotate it till the moment your fingers would aalmost hit each other, that piece of thread is a singularity?

The garbage I read on this site is ridiculous.