Advice Guides

Pretty soon I'll be making very large images concerning general advice and methodology for education in stem.

They will include but are not limited to: educating those with no stem background, proper college course "tracks", textbook recommendations, etc.

The goal is to be able to take one or more of these images, and post them in threads we see here every day, month after month.

>"user THERE'S ALREADY A WIKI FUCK OFF"
Okay, that's correct, but that doesn't seem to cut down much on the overwhelming "help-posting". The goal would be to create something that's easily replicable in each new help thread. And hopefully people will let the thread die after that.

>"user IF PEOPLE CANT READ THE WIKI THEN THEY CANT BE BOTHERED TO LEARN FROM YOUR IMAGES"
I feel the wiki, while an important resource, is slightly outdated, and still requires action on part of the poster who needs help. As in they have to read it and click on links. Also a large majority of younger/new users seem to be "muh ADHD", and can't be bothered with it or flat out ignore it.

>"user WE SHOULDN'T CATER TO BRAINLETS"
I used to agree, and then the hundreds of help-threads a day kept deleting my b8threads and shitposting. I can't have that.
So if you would please, if you have what you consider to be useful images concerning textbooks or screenshots of past helpful posts, or hell even a copypasta that you liked, post it in this thread, and I'll try to incorporate it.

Should take like a month, we'll see.

Other urls found in this thread:

jordanbpeterson.com/2017/01/great-books/
jordanbpeterson.com/2016/11/book-list/
jordanbpeterson.com/2016/11/maps-of-meaning-intro/
Veeky
amazon.com/Linear-Algebra-Geometry-Igor-Shafarevich/dp/3642309933
amazon.com/Linear-Algebra-Geometry-Logic-Applications/dp/2881246834/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Did you make this thread to defend yourself against criticism you yourself came up with?

user, you need a diary.

No, just made a less expository version a few weeks ago, and got some of these replies.

>p..plz post things

Ok. Anyways, this sounds good. Who cares about the wiki anyways. I am curious to see what you come up with. But make it fun. Like, add an asterisk somewhere that says *no women allowed

Plan to, itwill be classic Veeky Forums, with name calling, hubris about different fields, etc. I already have a shit ton of images and stuff saved for "compiling", just wanted to give a chance for others to add in.

/g/ has really good but slightly older versions like what I'm talking about with changing from android to custom OS.

Bump

man that's what i'm waiting for along time ago

THANKS IN ADVANCE

>Unironically reading the bible
>It's not even poetic

Kys yourself.

Bump.

>proper college course "tracks"

great idea

I want to do a similar thing with /pol/ where we end up reading John Gray, Hayek, Berlin, Oakeshott, Popper, Peterson, Erich Neumann, Ernst Cassirer, Jung...

Since the list contains Jews I'm sure it'll work out great.

>I want to do a similar thing with /pol/

The only thing you can do with /pol/ is post shitty Trump maymays and """""""predict""""""" the downfall of the west through some ill defined notions of "degeneracy". Punching myself in the dick is a more entertaining experience.

Degeneracy pretty much means seeing girl's skin, race mixing, non figurative art, obesity, and the inclusion of all in the west.

I'd like to think that within this primitive bundle of feelings there exist something which could be more definite and substantive, articulated around notions of moral pluralism, cultural evolution and a notion of tradition.

>I'd like to think

So would I, unfortunately experience tells me that there's nothing to it. It's (mostly) just a group of young men disillusioned with modernity and are venting their frustrations in one of the few places where they can. Compare with

jordanbpeterson.com/2017/01/great-books/
jordanbpeterson.com/2016/11/book-list/
jordanbpeterson.com/2016/11/maps-of-meaning-intro/

I have a few more, incoming

I think if you get a general rolling you could manage to find some people receptive to the idea that /pol/'s feeling need better articulation. There's something to the idea that a completely open society such as ours, a society which strive to deny the idea that there could be any incompatibilities between human groups, must also by necessity be a society that stands for nothing, as it cannot reject anything, and that such a society is at once impossible in actuality and bound to disintegrate if it keeps living in a lie.

Chaining the Enlightenment sounds like a cool project, even though modern science is one of its product or at the very least is closely tied to it.

I like Peterson because he's the first person I've seen who was genuinely able to articulate religious discourse in such a way that it becomes palatable to our "scientisist" minds. He may reopen the way for the integration of some of the things Jung and his disciple said, which is why I mentioned Neumann.

Can i suggest looking at the greek symbols for semphi iota phi delta tau and pi

> as in the symbols represent lines/curves and rotation

>the bible
Dropped
Kill yourself

God is the sun
Jesus is a photon
We are all blessed by the holy light

What do I read in addition if I want to learn more about biology and chemistry?
Also, what do I read to learn more about political science?

Political science is a fucking bitch to learn because all author must describes various positions from the point of view of their own opinion, which colors the way in which the field is divided and evaluated.

I would recommend you start reading not so much introductions to political science but rather to the school of political thought which you are the most interested in. What's gonna happen is that you will get a view of the other positions from within the school you are studying, and you may then later go to this school that is being criticized so as to experience them from the inside.

Arguably it's not anymore Veeky Forums than would a commented Koran or Talmud be. (Or something about the Babylonian myth of creation.)

>is slightly outdated

Outdated how?

good goy

>proper college course "tracks"

There really aren't any linear tracks. Depending on what subjects you're interested in (and when) will determine what you do.

Instead, having prerequisites and useful background knowledge like the CSE page would be more useful in figuring out what to do.
EX:
>Precalculus
Prerequisites: Arithmetic
Useful: basic Algebra
>Overview of Mathematics
Prerequisites: Precalculus
Useful: Calculus, Proofs
>Single Variable Calculus
Useful: Proofs
>Multivariable and Vector Calculus
Prerequisites: Single Variable Calculus
Useful: Matrix Algebra
>Curves and Surfaces in R2 and R3
Prerequisites: Multivariable and Vector Calculus, Matrix Algebra
Useful: basic Analysis
>Ordinary Differential Equations
Prerequisites: Calculus, Matrix Algebra
>Matrix Algebra
Useful: Proofs
>Applied Linear Algebra
Prerequisites: Calculus, Matrix Algebra
Useful: Finite Vector Spaces
>Finite Vector Spaces
Prerequisites: Calculus, Matrix Algebra, Proofs
Useful: Applied Linear Algebra
>Complex Variables
>Special Functions
Prerequisites: Complex Variables, ODEs
>Fourier Transforms
Useful: ODEs
>Partial Differential Equations
Prerequisites: ODEs
Useful: Fourier Transforms, basic Analysis
>Proofs and Mathematical Reasoning
>Introductory Set Theory
Prerequisites: Proofs
Useful: Logic
>Introductory Logic
Useful: Set Theory
>Number Theory
Useful: basic Abstract Algebra

and so forth

>Jews
>wanting people to be christian

Top keke

retards are always easier to control

what is this autistic shit

>t. butthurt child

Bump.

man do what you doing
you are a hero

Let's say I'm a first grader (hypothetically kek I don't want to get banned by mods for misinterpretation) that doesn't know anything about anything basically. He just learned what 2+2 is or whatever.

What do you recommend? Khan Academy?

Avoid Dover books. They're dogshit. Talk to your professors and colleagues who have experience for book recommendations.

Dover is just a publisher and they publish lots of books by various authors.

there's a reason they all cost close to nothing

you get what you pay for

it would be useful to have a book list that isn't just textbooks.

reading textbooks leaves you with the burden of models and formulas that are often not useful if you aren't actively participating in the field.

bump

McGraw-Hill / Cengage
>20% of page is actual, useful content
>20% of page is
>60% of page is fancy colors and bullshit notes on the margins
>half of the chapters not even about the subject and are just taking up space
>"EXTRA FACT"
>LEARN MORE IN "MASTERING [insert field of study here]"
>90 easy exercises of mechanically applying the formulae and method of the example. 2 or 3 actually challenging exercises.
>answers to odd/even problems, often wrong

Dover
>95% of page is actual, useful content
>no bullshit notes on the margins
>any extra information provided on the footer of the page
>explanations for theory and exercises merged naturally and concisely
>3 to 4 easy exercises, and 10 to 15 challenging exercises
>answers to all problems

This.
Also bump, this thread needs to end all the help threads.

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/
This wiki is already good enough, OP.

This is a nice post. Do you have something more to provide, user? Thanks.

If you're serious about it, I would follow a particular country's exam syllabus, buy or download a book for it, and do all the examples you can. When you finish with that, try doing the exams until you feel comfortable. Then, maybe, move onto university material.

The most accessible, standardised, non-brainlet exam material you could find is probably UK GCSEs and A-levels. Particularly, the CIE and Edexcel Exam Boards offer a very varied, and interesting curriculum. They both have a Mathematics and Further Mathematics exam which you should look into, and they include possibly decision theory, statistics and mechanics (the latter of which I find to be a quite interesting and fun application). There exists a page called "Xtremepapers" which offers almost all exams and exam solutions of these boards and others from over a decade, and you should use this extensively.

If I were you, I'd read the GCSE prerequisites. If you feel comfortable with that, then get a book for it and read away. If you're not comfortable, then go a step back and look up the SATs (UK) syllabus and do the same thing. GCSEs should be quite easy to learn, and in no time you should reach A-level. [In UK, the learning progression is SATs -> GCSEs -> A-levels -> University]

Both exam boards I suggested are quite good for A-levels. However, I find that CIE questions tend to be a bit more challenging, which is good, but the Edexcel has a broader range of subjects that are a bit more "segregated" in exams, which allows for a more systematic learning and you can do it in smaller chunks. [For example, CIE has a total of 3 exams for Maths+Further Maths and 5 more between statistics and mechanics, while Edexcel is split into C1-C4, FP1-FP3, M1-M5, S1-S5, D1-D2].

Ideally, you should learn all the pure mathematics, and at least one of the applications modules.

Pic related is a screen cap of what you should be able to answer when you're done with all that.

capping this for later use

bump for the OP

I like to add E.M. Stein's book on Analysis. Especially the second one and the last:
Fourier Analysis
Functional Analysis

They are extremely useful for the tools they teach. However, they are hard to read unless you involve yourself with the material.
By that, I mean that you better think about the material and try to prove at least a few of the theorems.

I couldn't do that shit when I was in first grade m8

>people who think they can be good C++ programmers if the don't already have extensive knowledge in C

Pathetic.

This is pretty good.

Khan Academy is fine.

keep it up, Comme

>first grade
???
This stuff you should be able to do after you finish high school in UK

if commies were this cute, i'd cuddle them everyday instead of offering free helicopter rides.

What can you say about general advice for people starting out in STEM degrees like engineering, physics etc? I'm gonna start engineering this year and I just wanna know what to expect and what I should do. Uni is one of the best in australia

>Degeneracy pretty much means seeing girl's skin, race mixing, non figurative art, obesity, and the inclusion of all in the west.

The only thing that is "wrong" in that is obesity. There is literally nothing wrong with the rest of the list. Please explain to me why sex and race mixing are bad.

>buying into /g/'s learn C first meme

kek

Read the original text m8.

Bump

Bump for this Jew

>What do I read in addition if I want to learn more about biology and chemistry?
Memorise wikipedia pages. Bio and chem is just memorisation

>Also, what do I read to learn more about political science?

Learn history and economics first

what's a good linear algebra textbook? im doing quantum courses and my uni is retarded and didn't teach us linear algebra properly, so i don't really have a good grasp of what these vector space things are

amazon.com/Linear-Algebra-Geometry-Igor-Shafarevich/dp/3642309933
amazon.com/Linear-Algebra-Geometry-Logic-Applications/dp/2881246834/

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Finite_Vector_Spaces

thx

Bump

Anyone have anything for electrical or nuclear engineering?

bumb for the OP

Did I translate Math Monk correctly?

I created that image; yes

I ain't learning frog speak m8

I'm looking to begin learning CS, and I need a textbook suggestion.
I have finished a number of logic courses and textbooks, so I can probably handle (and prefer) something more difficult or rigorous than the common introductory books.

Coding is coding.

>the Bible with the Aprocyrpha
trash

Bump

There's a cool /g/ or Veeky Forums recommends picture of a bunch of CS books. Hopefully someone posts it. Otherwise I would look at classes you're interested in at whatever university and use whatever book they use.

thank you kindly

Would you like my assistance? I endorse your endeavor and believe it to be necessary for humanity.

BA Ratio of 1 (Best Approach)

Side query: Can anyone direct me to a place where my suffering can be lessened? I do not seek superiority, just enough to explore the fullness of myself and provide for me and my loved ones.

>Being a protestant nut
>1984 years after the death of our Lord

top kek

bump

I honestly think your endeavor is futile.

It's easy enough to come up with a "course" or a "track" or a "plan" to learn something. The difficult part is actually sticking to it. And if you fail to stick to it, you will believe that it is not your fault but the plan's fault, and you will be in the planning phase perpetually. Therefore, these people looking for help will never go away no matter how much help you give them.

Yes, I am projecting.