Where does energy goes?

First of all, i know about the laws of thermodynamics that energy is not created nor destroyed but I still can't really figure this out. In our planet, almost all the energy present comes from the light that is irradiated in our surface (except for geothermal caused by the core's high temperature that will eventually cool off, the tidal that is caused by the moon that will eventually either crash with the earth or wander off, and chemical/nuclear caused byu reactions of elements present in the earth). The sun heats the surface and chances pressures and temperatures to create winds, currents, water cycles, it's gathered by plants that transform it to chemical energy or is gathered directly by humans, etc.
My question is, after all that energy gets somehow "used" by humans where does it goes?

Let's say we have a universe with a star that irradiates a planet with a solar panel connected to a motor that moves a weight. Where does the energy used by the motor to move the weight goes? and after said star dies, where is all the energy of that universe if it's supposed to be the same at the start?

my only guess is that everything just ends up hot because all that energy ends up being thermal energy but i'm not sure scientist would call "big chill" a universe where all energy is thermal

Other urls found in this thread:

scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2009/06/29/water-in-space-what-happens/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bounce
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The universe is also expanding infinitely so the heat and energy is being spread thinner and thinner. But for even our galaxy cluster to breakup is on extreme timescales and most Stars will be burnt out by then

It goes to heat.

Heat is the same thing as energie, but in a different state.

obvious answer--entropy and mechanical work
same answer but stated in a less obvious way--stored as chemical bonds in complex matter (think evolution) and used to do mechanical work on systems. This should be fairly obvious from dU= -pdV + TdS + uDN

Costs work to move that object. Let's say your motor moves it along a floor with friction. Then, you do work against friction and the energy you spend is lost to friction (aka radiated away as heat and slight deformation of chemical structure). If you work against something cleaner (say your engine moves something against gravity), then the energy goes into the potential energy of the weight that you're lifting.

Heat's a transfer of energy--not energy.

this topic interests me
say I'm out in space and I boil some water and then toss it out into the vacuum and then somehow retrieve it, presumably it's now ice right? where did the energy goed?

>presumably it's now ice right?

Its boiled into a gas. There's no air pressure in space to keep the molecules together.

Chemical bonds. To form chemical bonds from a less ordered state costs energy. Going from steam to water costs an energy known as the "heat of vaporization"; going from liquid to solid costs "latent heat of fusion." You can look up these constants online for water (I think they're all on the order of a few kilojoules for 100g of water)

Air pressure doesn't keep molecules together--bonds do. You're right that it will boil first (it happens very quickly compared to freezing), but after it boils, the gas will freeze (as opposed to the usual freezing from water).

If the boiled water is sealed in some container, the energy won't go anywhere actually, it's perfectly isolated in space. It will stay warm. The only mechanism that will cool it is radiation (look for heat radiation). It's very slow though. If you do not seal it in some container it won't freeze. It will very rapidly evaporate due to the extremely low pressure. When it does evaporate it will cool down a little, as some energy goes into dissolving the chemical bonds as others have mentioned. After that the water molecules will stay hot for a very long time though.

Bruh. As I said above, the gas will freeze in space. It's well documented...even on earth (for low enough pressures) !

You are misinformed.

Some must be changed to potential energy, if only in a molecular bond that is not the elements' natural states.
Some is friction and wear. Might tiny particles of steel have more potential [in reacting] than the particles in a solid piston head? Does a pile of steel particles have more "chemical" potential than a solid of equivalent weight?
But if most turns back to energy/heat, especially for useless endeavors, then inefficiently burning oil and coal for electricity to turn inefficient motors must be dastardly unsustainable.

>To form chemical bonds from a less ordered state costs energy.

But I have to boil water to turn it into vapor, so the opposite should be true too, right? Or is that solely dependent on the atmospheric pressure?

Aren't "heat" and "infrared radiation" the exact same thing? Or are photons considered to be an intermediary state rather than actual energy?

>Aren't "heat" and "infrared radiation" the exact same thing?
No, absolutely not. Heat actually is some form of energy, at least it has the dimension of energy. What it is exactly in the context of thermodynamics is confusing, always hated that shit. Imagine it like the sum of kinetic energy of all molecules of some object. The more heat, the more the molecules wiggle around and such. It's not really what it is, but I really don't care. As they are wiggling they produce electromagnetic radiation (it's a direct consequence of that). That is infrared radiation, but it can also be in the visible spectrum (e.g. fire or glowing coals, or the sun). Photons are photons. They are not some kind of energy form. They are particles, they can have energy and momentum, just like an electron, proton or an aircraft carrier can have energy and momentum.

>I boil some water and then toss it out into the vacuum

not boiled water, but...

> the most beautiful sight in orbit, or one of the most beautiful sights, is a urine dump at sunset, because as the stuff comes out and as it hits the exit nozzle it instantly flashes into ten million little ice crystals which go out almost in a hemisphere - Rusty Schweickart

>we are paying millons to send people to pee and see their own pee

How can the universe be so immoral? What kind of universe just ends like this? Doesn't it feel bad about it? About ending?

It takes no energy to make something cold.

But why does it freeze?

desublimation. You can literally google in in a few seconds rookie.

True, but I think it goes by "deposition." when it's gas to solid.

Dumbfag. Since you're obviously science-autistic, scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2009/06/29/water-in-space-what-happens/ Or, if you're not retarded, you can find the actual experiments.

>My question is, after all that energy gets somehow "used" by humans where does it goes?
heat.

the energy we dig out of the ground and burn gets turned into heat energy and mechanical energy.

the mechanical energy will eventually turn into heat over time.

But why does it freeze?

phasetransition takes energy tho

Boiling is just giving water molecules enough energy to move away from each other. You're not changing the chemical O-H bonds at all. Steam is no more or less complex than water.

That assumes to much. The big bang was a big rip. The current universe isn't expanding uniformly.

For your motor problem, the energy used by the motor to move the weight is transferred to gravitational potential energy of the weight (it is now higher off the ground and has stored gravitational energy) and some to heat depending on motor efficiency. Should the weight drop, potential energy is transferred to kinetic energy, which upon impact with the earth, is transferred to a combination of kinetic(earth moves a tiny bit), sound(which dissapates into heat) and, heat.

As for a dying star the energy is transferred mostly into kinetic energy, flinging the stars guts into space, and some is radiated off as heat. As others have said due to expansion of the universe things do not heat up over time because there is lots more space for a little bit more energy to occupy.

Hot water/steam WILL freeze eventually, but it will take a very long timeas there is no medium to conduct the heat away. Any heat loss will be via infrared radiation.
FYI all matter produces infrared radiation, even liquid helium.

Forgot to add: IF in a sealed container.
If NOT in a sealed container ito would freeze due to the pressure drop.

I never really understood gravitational potential energy. If a weight is sent from earth to a Lagrange point, what's its potential energy then ?

Well this is going to be a fun pill to give everyone.

PROTIPS: There is only one electron in the universe. Light 'radiates' because of gravity. When it reaches the upper limit of it's journey, it simply returns to source.

If a spacecraft were at a lagrange point between say, the earth and the sun. It would only take a tiny nudge to release a huge amount of gravitational energy. Gravitational potential energy is stored energy just like a spring being compressed. It can be in equilibrium where it is stored but, nothing will happen unless the energy is allowed to be released. That doesnt mean the energy potential isnt there, its just held in a state where it is counteracted by another force. Think of a crossbow, you can cock it, and place a bolt in it. You could leave it like that for years (probably not good for the crossbow) then one day use a tiny amount of energy to pull the trigger, and kill something. Your finger didnt generate that energy, it just released it.

So in this imaginary world of yours time doesnt exist? Thats what is needed for there to be only one electron.

>hurr durr time is an illusion

No, its not. If time was only in our heads we wouldnt be able to measure it with devices like atomic clocks. You dont get wet when you go outside because it tained yesterday. There is a chronological order to the universe, with or without us.

Time = (0/?) = 0

Time is not an illusion. It is a process 'infinite'. We are thermodynamic lifeforms trying to evolve.

Nice jibberish you spewed there. Tell me how the same single electron can for covalent bonds in molecules all over the universe. Go ahead i will wait.

form*

>He doesn't know a universe is a wave
Lmao fucking pleb

>The cosmological constant meme
>Not "The Big Empty"
See, this repeated attempts of forcing Einsteins "Cosmological Constant" is why there is such divisiveness in the field these days, its a fucking meme and probably doesn't even exist. And everything that comes along that even *might* vaguely fit it these assholes call it a " Cosmological Constant"

Its literally a normie meme

The cosmological constant is a part of the standard model of cosmology, it is not a fucking meme. Lambda is the simplest model which reproduces acceleration and is therefore appealing.

Proofs

radiated into space or stored in materials we create

>trying to evolve

The proof is in the big bang which modern science relies so greatly on. If a collapsing universe (big crunch) is a feasible theory, then that opens doors to the idea that the universe could be behaving like a wave: expanding and contracting. This would require unimaginable time scales and infinities we don't even yet know how to quantify, but that's doesn't render it impossible, just crazy. Pic related is not scientificly accurate by any means and is pseudo bullshit so just take it conceptually.

Sound

Thanks for this well-put explanation.
Let's say a spacecraft took off from earth and now is at a Lagrange Point between the sun and the earth, does it "have" two potential energies now ?

Sort of. Its just 2 forces pulling equally in opposite directions, keeping the system in equilibrium. If the scales are tipped slightly one of those forces overpowers the other one and releases the energy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bounce

Cosmologic balance?

>meme very related

Does the heat of the sun expand the outer hull of the spaceship?

From matter to light, from light to matter from matter to black hole to present chaos.