We have much bigger progress in the field of genetics and biological engineering than we have in the field of robotics...

We have much bigger progress in the field of genetics and biological engineering than we have in the field of robotics. Why do we need robots if we can already have biological servants?

Other urls found in this thread:

motioncontrolsrobotics.com/how-cold-can-my-robot-go/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because ethics. Aluminium humps can't be considered "living" because they are created from non organic material meanwhile biological subjects would be considered as animals if not even humans.

robots work in fire and ice

You know what makes a biological servant a human? A face. So let's make them without faces (and sex organs).

>Aluminium humps can't be considered "living" because they are created from non organic material meanwhile biological subjects would be considered as animals if not even humans
There are already thousands of idiots that want to fight for "robot rights".

Fluids in a robot might freeze in cold climates

How the fuck would they hear, smell, speak and eat? Also, they would look hella creepy.

> biological servants
Slavery was outlawed about 150 years ago.
I guess you didn't get the memo.

We aren't on the terminator stage yet so bots wont have rights anytime soon.

Wait for it

I think you are on to something.

People are too narrow minded to realize that there isn't much distinction between biology and machine.

But we already have the biologically invented machine, so why not use the version of the robot that is lightyears ahead of the mechanical robots that we currently have?

Good idea OP.

>>We have much bigger progress in the field of genetics and biological engineering than we have in the field of robotics.
bullshit. We can't engineer new animals to do stuff for us and we aren't remotely close to doing so either.

>>biological servants
We have biological servants and they suck. Service animals take YEARS to be trained to perform highly specific tasks. Same with mentally retarded people.

With robots, once you train one robot, you've trained them all.

Not to mention biological things require expensive food and other upkeep costs.

Anything biological is going to freeze a lot sooner than a robot will. Biology requires water and specific chemical conditions to not die. It is somewhat rare for robots to use water, the ones that do can use anti-freeze.

In fact, there are robots that work 24/7 in freezers loading pallets of food:
motioncontrolsrobotics.com/how-cold-can-my-robot-go/

Robots can work at very cold temperatures. Pic related worked just fine on a ball of ice at cryogenic temperatures... without any air... while being bombarded with radiation.

It's not one or the other dumbass.

I've never understood this. Why do people insist on giving rights to something that doesn't have emotions or a conscience? Why would we even program the robots to want rights or freedom?

Because those things are intertwined with intelligence.

There is this topic called Neuroethology in which we can use different species to learn about evolution of behavior and its underlying mechanisms.

Think of any creature that you think is dumb (e.g. worm). Think of any creature that you think is smart (e.g. a monkey).

Notice how has intelligence increases, the creatures become more conscious and have a wider sense of emotions/feelings?

Interesting right.

This is why computer scientists don't know wtf they are talking about imho. It's also why they are not practicing a science.

They just use "gut feeling" instead of any fucking evidence.

>trying to apply biology science to artificial intelligence
user, why don't you go to a thread where your knowledge is useful, cause right now you're being quite ignorant on the subject at hand.

Okay, well, I saw the degree thread, and, from that thread, I am probably more qualified to talk about machine learning and data science than most of you undergrad plebs.

But you know what? I don't give a fuck about you arrogant snots. Enough Veeky Forums for me today.

>Think of any creature that you think is dumb (e.g. worm). Think of any creature that you think is smart (e.g. a monkey).
>Notice how has intelligence increases, the creatures become more conscious and have a wider sense of emotions/feelings?
Think of ELIZA. Now think of Watson. Notice how as intelligence increases, the machine is still just as conscious wit the same sense of emotions/feelings.

Interesting right?

Neither are intelligent. They are basically dictionaries that were painstakingly handcrafted.

We will talk when there is even an inkling of general purpose AI.

General purpose AI will just be a bigger dictionary that can expand itself.

I would love it if the problem was that simple. I desperately want the singularity to happen.

I could kill us tho senpai,

and this is precisely the question that is essentially currently being discussed

I have an evil side. I think general purpose AI will be a catalyst that will destroy us all. I am hoping to help out with the process (if I can).

People will be happy when they get some general purpose AI, but then immediately they will start misusing the power (because humans are human).

"Nuclear war apocalypse" singularity style. The beautiful irony as people are destroyed by their own greed.

Lame and gay

We have failed to NOT abuse any tool that was ever invented.

We will definitely abuse the singularity because we have the capability of imaging how.

>I would love it if the problem was that simple. I desperately want the singularity to happen.
See, I think we have different ideas and goals for AI's. All I want is an AI that can understand any command, and attempt to follow that command to the best of its ability, while following certain rules and protocols (like don't kill humans).

Other people I think want a "true artificial intelligence", something that can feel, that can rebel, disobey orders, have its own desires. While that might be cool from a technological standpoint, it doesn't have much practical use, so I simply don't see the point in such an AI.

Why do we need cars\tractors\trains if we already have horses?

False,
we have no abused nuclear warheads seeing as the most of the world has not been blown up yet
There are many other less compelling but still valid examples though

No it's not that people want something that can 'feel and destroy and shit'
People in the field want an AI that can improve on itself even to the point of surpassing human intelligence which may or may not be the problem

We totally abused nuclear weapons. It's a weapon for God's sakes. That should give you a clue that technology and science was abused.

The science was used to decimate 2 fucking cities with no regards to human life or civilians. Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Have you heard of them?!

Whomever gets hold of singularity level AI first will use it without any regards or concerns for others.

>People in the field want an AI that can improve on itself even to the point of surpassing human intelligence which may or may not be the problem
Yeah, so like an AI that could be all philosophical or something? Cause we could certainly make an AI that could answer most factual questions, and find most solutions to practical problems, but that AI would be would basically be a big dictionary.

Would you like to know one of the reasons why we live in a shitty world with limited prosperity and freedom?

Because of the AI. The Chimera and their Draco minions heavily utilize AI technology to get somewhat of an intellectual and predictive advantage, at the cost of sacrificing nearly all of their spirit essence.

They, of the darkness, have enslaved humankind for over 13,000 years with the fake Babylonian money magic system and other forms of control.

Fortunately, their dark matrix has been in the process of dissolving for some time now (especially since 2012).

The Event will be coming this year -- the powerful solar flash of Light from The Great Central Sun.

This will end all duality on Earth -- Gaia -- and will propel The New Golden Age of Eternal Peace and God's Infinite Abundance.

Victory... of the Light.

Boi, you do not know what GAI is if you think the purpose is to be all philosophical or something

The point of General Artificial Intelligence is for it to be able to improve itself so much that its level of understanding the universe and patterns in it are inconceivable to us.

The common analogy goes: think if the difference between a human's level of understanding the world and an ape; even though they are very similar, their levels of intelligence are already vastly different. An ape does not even have the real capacity to speak, but the real difference between a human and a genuine /GAI/ after a sufficient amount of time, would be comparable to the difference between a human and an ant.

How much acid are you on?

As an /x/ regular I say that half a Hofmann.

He certainly sounds a bit crazed and naive.

Bump

>People will be happy when they get some general purpose AI

Feels like people have been saying that for every upcoming invention since the dawn of time. We don't work like that. Once we get something we get used to it and want something better. Not only that but because something else is doing everything for us we'll start to feel worthless and depressed.

Ethics.

/Thread

Robots/AI are far less flawed than humans, and unlike us they have no real ceiling to their potential while we are fundamentally limited by what we are as a species.

Until robots can govern man, man will always suffer. If men were angels, no government would be necessary.If angels were to govern men, no internal or external controls on government would be necessary, and machines would be angels.

Morality is based on axioms and observable facts. The immoral behavior of men is explained by what we are. A machine has no reason to be immoral, and since it is a being of pure reason, it wouldn't act immorally.

all of it