Metallic hydrogen synthesized for the first time ever-or was it?

nature.com/news/physicists-doubt-bold-report-of-metallic-hydrogen-1.21379

did they do it Veeky Forums, or are they misinterpreting the results?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen
google.com/search?q=Metallic hydrogen uses
bbc.com/news/science-environment-38768683
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How can hydrogen be a metal?

I hope it is true. If they did it then all manner of cool things can be done from there.

If you cool it and compress it enough, it takes on the characteristics of a metal. A lot of things we don't normally think of as metals are like this.

Lots of pressure. It's a metal inside Jupiter's core.

>A lot of things we don't normally think of as metals
As in semiconductors?

Also what defines a metal as we generally understand it? Why are certain elements dense, shiny and conductive?

Crystalline atomic structures mean that light doesn't penetrate metals that aren't very thin well at all in our everyday circumstances, although some metals are actually transparent if you put them in a low pressure environment since the atoms "spread out" and let light through. . Due to the ease with which they lose their outer electrons, they can conduct electricity well.

Like what?!

Wow so they made the most conductivest metal by compressing hydrogen against the most hardest metal?

Oh for fuck sake:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen
google.com/search?q=Metallic hydrogen uses

Okay so if hydrogen is the lightest element then how come it's at Jupiter's core not its surface?

hmmm really made me think

>hydrogen is the lightest element
maybe it isn't when metallic

so if you took it out of the high pressure environment would it just explosively sublimate
it's an alkali metal, right?
would it just burn in air

So what can we use this shit for ?

They plan to see if it can remain a metal under less pressure. If so it will have massive implications. Under higher temperatures it will return to a gas.

Because the hardest metal, diamond, is formed around it, preventing it from rising to the surface.

So if we run out of diamonds were fucked and will never get anymore metallic hydrogen? Sounds like a bad plan.

There's a metal core at the center.

The surface is mostly hydrogen and metallic hydrogen beneath that then other heavier elements beneath that as well so the densities line up correctly.

diamond isn't a metal, you idiot; it's an element

With so much force being expelled it suddenly becomes super rocket fuel

diamond isn't an element you retard. diamond is made purely of neutrons, which is why its not considered an element and is stronger than all the proton-based elements

Diamond is so strong that they use diamond to cut diamond - nothing else can do.
Also the aztec had diamond knives which could cut clean through the conquistadors armor.

B
T
F
O

Just kill yourself scientists

Is there any evidence metallic hydrogen is metastable, or is all just wishful thinking and hope for a new and interesting material to play around with?

The same reason hydrogen and helium do not naturally exist on Earths surface in gas form.

Finding out why is your homework tonight, I expect a one page double spaced paper explaining your results in the morning.

>Diamond is so strong that they use diamond to cut diamond - nothing else can do.

ADNR says hi!

perfect batteries, perfect wires, super efficient everything

Reducing copper losses in power lines possibly making ocean power feasible.

>it takes on the characteristics of a metal

so its not a metal. ok, thanks. i can ignore this thread then.

lol.

Extra efficient rocket fuel

That isn't not diamond

Does the freezing of water also create enough pressure to cause this? Maybe salt rich water, i dunno

the amount of niggatry in this thread...

I just saw the news and wondered if this isn't yet another fiction reported as fact.

bbc.com/news/science-environment-38768683
>Other scientists working in the same and related fields have told the BBC that the team's paper is short on the kind of data needed to make a proper assessment of its achievements.
>"Complete garbage," is how Eugene Gregoryanz from Edinburgh University described the research. "Like everybody else who works with hydrogen at high pressures, I am appalled by what is being published in Science."
Eugene didn't pull any punches there so either he's right or he's going to have the ingredients for the world's biggest omelette.

Guess what the D stands for

>Also what defines a metal as we generally understand it?
materials that are combined via metallic bonding

Metal is a characteristic though. If i heat up iron enough it turns into a dull orange, putty-like substance. IF it's at the right temperature and pressure, it crystallizes into a metal.

tin's the best example

> Guess what the D stands for
> Aggregated Diamond Nano Rods

ADNR is harder than diamonds and, no it isn't a normal diamond. In b4
> muh hyperdiamonds

ADNR should make it possible to reach even higher pressures, but making a press with it first is going to be a bitch.

it's supposedly metastable.

>efficient roclet fuel
How hard would it be to produce this? Can it make our space dreams possible or is it too expensive to produce a proper amount?

I work with diamond anvil cells for my research, and know a lot of the ppl who work on this stuff. dave mao at Carnegie has been working on this since the 80's, and his team claimed they created synthetic H back then. The claim has been has been made many time since, but has failed to replicated. I'm skeptical about any claim stating to have created metallic hydrogen. Robert Hazen wrote a good book about high pressure physics in the 20th century called 'The New Alchemists', and the latter half of the book discusses creating synthetic metallic hydrogen

The GPa of the inside of the planets body is more than sufficient to overcome the escape velocity of hydrogen, and other such volatiles, assuming they're gasses.

Diamonds can be produced artificially.

yes they can, and unlike the days when GE first did it, It's rather cheap. syntehitic diamond can also be produced to be isotopically homogeneous, which has HUGE potential for certain applications such as thermal conductors.

Are you sure that dull orange putty like substance isn't a metal?

correct me if I'm wrong, but a general indicator of a metal is opacity, which is due to the electron sea model.

AFAIK that is true. But isn't iron opaque even when it's dull, orange and putty like?

How are we, or more importantly, the publishing scientists defining metal?

In the traditional sense a metal is an element in the zero oxidation state. If rigid, hydrogen cations behave with metal characteristics, are they saying that is a "metal"?

Isn't Silvera claiming to have physical proof? Like not just observed but an actual tangible sample

>We squeezed it so tight it turned black and absorbed light then squeezed it even more and it turned shiny, which means it's metallic.
I really hope this was just an explanation for idiots.
Also this was from an experiment in October, shouldn't there be more evidence by now?

>google.com/search?q=Metallic hydrogen uses
>Hydrogen turned into metal in stunning act of alchemy that could ... www.independent.co.uk
>alchemy

they thought it might've been, back when they thought it would take much less pressure than it did now. So it's probably not happening, but who knows.
First they need to verify this stuff anyway given that this paper seemed to be a bit flimsy and light on the details.

>But Silvera says that he just wanted to get the news out there before making confirmation tests, which, he says, could break their precious specimen. “We wanted to publish this breakthrough event on this sample,” he says. To preserve the material, he and Dias have kept it in the cryostat; the lab has only two cryostats, and the other is in use for other experiments, he says. “Now that the paper has been accepted, we’re going to do further experiments.”

>physicists-doubt-bold-report
>>sceptics say that it includes
>>little new information
Into the sceptic tank it goes!

Can anyone explain why this test would be difficult to replicate? Or is their aluminium coating on the diamond anvils some super secret compound?

Probably the diamonds and the who gives a **** factor for such a small amount.

Oh, he wanted the news out BEFORE confirmation. What a bullshit. If this comes out to be a fake it takes out credibility of both nature and scientificial community.