Metallic hydrogen

Anyone with decent physics knowledge read about this today ? I am an ME and I kinda got blown away when I read the news as this shit has some pretty major implications behind it, like first steam engine or first computer major implications

Could you explain why its a big deal?

Well it "should" be a room temp super conductor, also requires ridiculous amount of energy to create so would make for a very powerful rocket fuel since reversing that reaction would release it all, Isp of 1700s... just those two is enough for a start

I'm skeptical but not against it. The researchers really need to produce repeatable results and need to make sure that they aren't just seeing the coating of the diamonds behaving differently at high pressures.

Please explain to a bone head what this is?

Take hydrogen, and squeeze it with about 71 million pounds of force with a pair of synthetic diamonds.

It is now metallic hydrogen

>Well it "should" be a room temp super conductor, also requires ridiculous amount of energy to create so would make for a very powerful rocket fuel since reversing that reaction would release it all, Isp of 1700s... just those two is enough for a start

Fuel? Step aside grandpa.

Make an em drive out of it.

can i make it with a hydraulic press?

Is your hydraulic press made out of synthetic diamond?

No but strong steel, harder than a nail.

Could it provide more energy than normal fusion in a hydrogen bomb?

But does it stay metallic once you release the pressure?

>Cellphones are already exploding on us to the point airlines are banning certain models
>Hey goy, would you like this metallic hydrogen super conducting phone. Its made out of the most powerful rocket fuel known to man.

No thanks. I'd like to live.

Super conductor = far less material needed as the wires can be really thin

It's theorized it does. though we can't know for certain yet.

Terahertz processors when?

\frac{1}{2}

Does it remain metallic outside of the creation chamber?

I think they're still trying to find that out.

Do you think those results are legit ?
Several research groups doubt of their veracity

We won't know till its replicated, if i were involved in physics id be itching to test it