I'm at the end of my rope here...

I'm at the end of my rope here. I've just been ignoring him all week but now I have to see this asshole in person tomorrow. How do I get it to stop? I just want it to stop.

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797610385953)
youtube.com/watch?v=ksSZPNQaFP8
wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_do_you_explain_day.2Fnight_cycles_and_seasons.3F
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Antarctica
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This can't be real

I'm not here to trick you. This bastard will be here tomorrow to shout at me about this shit. I need help man. Surely science is close to finding a way to deal with irrational people. Even just temporarily.

I want to be that guy in your picture.

If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em senseless.

This person is clearly delusional. There's literally nothing you can say that will convince him and no evidence that he will regard. You could personally take him on a ride in a Virgin Galactic low earth orbit so he can see the round earth with his own eyes and he would tell you about how the windows are lenses bending the image in yet another jew trick

This, desu. It's impossible to argue with conspiracy theorists. Trust me, I've tried on Veeky Forums more than once.

Best bet is to just agree with him and try to talk about something else.

I appreciate the input. I was starting to feel like a crazy person before this thread.

>just agree with him
Yeah, this is probably my best bet. But I'll have to pre-empt him before anyone else tries to chime in. But I'm afraid if I text him now he'll be more eager to talk about it tomorrow seeing me as an ally. And what are the chances I'll be able to lie convincingly one time in my life and not come off like a condescending ass and make things worse? This is going to be the most complex social maneuver of my life.

That sucks dude. Wish I had advice that could help.

Conspiracy theorist (UFOs and shadow gov't mostly) here. Even most of us think flat earthers are completely insane.

How the hell did you come across this guy in real life and why is it so important that you placate him? Why does he come to pester you in particular? How did you get in this situation?

Just say "fuck off, the earth is spherical" to him and walk away, nobody that is sane will judge you for it, and if they do, they are insane. Just remove this person from your life completely man, and if you can't re-examine the set of choices that led you to this point and question yourself if it's worth it.

One ex-gf of mine was anti-vaxxer, believed in "alternative" medicine while talking crap about science-based medicine, believed in ancient aliens from different dimensions that are in contact with us, and quantum pseudoscientific quackery in general. Trust me, not worth the mental pain, not for anything in the world. Remove this person from your life.

He's my brother. My family is as tight as swimwear. This unfortunately means crazy spreads like the damn flu.

Buy him a ticket to a very high altitude

>One ex-gf of mine was anti-vaxxer, believed in "alternative" medicine while talking crap about science-based medicine, believed in ancient aliens from different dimensions that are in contact with us, and quantum pseudoscientific quackery in general

Was the sex good tho?

Death to the infidels.

Just tell him to kill himself like a normal person

Slam his head with a copy of Principia Mathematica. Maybe he'll learn something useful from that.

oblate spheroid

>Rotating around the sun at 66,600 mph...
>666
>measuring speed in mph

Clearly it's a fisherman who's been baiting for so long he doesn't know when to pull out

see

There is no stopping him. Just nod your head, change the subject, and ...
why do you "have to" meet him?

>He's my brother
Ask him why it's so important to him. (and why he thinks it should be so important for you)

Send him to /b/ to start a flat Earth thread. Let me have a talk with him. But we don't need to pollute Veeky Forums with that.

ask him why he thinks the vast majority of people have been wrong for the last few centuries. Ask him to justify the Coriolis Effect. Why do storms spin in different directions in the north and south hemispheres?

Ask him to back up any of his claims with math (it's simple math) and show him that the atmosphere should stay down, or that you do feel the rotation of the earth but that it is extremely minor.

There is also the entire field of astronomy, working gps, the motion of a pendulum, lunar cycles, the moon in general, being able to see satellites go by, and countless other examples. I tried to stick to examples that your common idiot could understand, but if anyone has any other good ones hit me with them.

This ^ If you don't have a copy of Principia Mathematica handy, any physics textbook will also work.

100% this came from a channel on youtube called theNASAchannel i heard about this shit RIGHT after some pieces of shit cia agents where spaming this guys video. he uses the idea of what that is to say his main point, is, that we didnt go to the moon.

so find his channel watch his shit, realize thes fuckers are parroting the cia who started it. and that guy, just makes videos and every fuckign godamn dumb fact comes from him cause they watch him. and steal from him. know that yuove already seen it and end the pounding headache of 100 parrots flockign flapping their wings.

Why is everyone super retard? Because chem trails and then you argue no but really you're just already retarded because of the central. Gg. But if you stop and think for a moment you can navigate by telling yourself "what I know, I know, what I don't know, I don't know." Try it. You can even repeat it to yourself for extra effect.

So OP, any updates?

This is the equivalent of today's climate change denialists: pick half-truths, or obscured cherry picked facts and create a grand narrative about how it's all a "plot" and a "pack of lies". Luckly, it doesn't really matter if someone wants to believe they are walking on a thin flat wafer, but when it comes to outcomes that affects other people then we have a real problem. So overall OP, if you can't convince him by common, sane evidence, just agree to disagree and move on.

>spinning in mph

zozzle

>OK, I believe you
>What do you wanna do about it?
>How can we test this?
>Can we demonstrate the predictive power of this new model?

Just humor him. Telling him he's wrong will just make him defend his position even harder (journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797610385953)

climate what?

everyone should avoid this topic this guys full of shit.

you do know climate is relative you fucking idiot.
if we have other patterns besides the godamn weather they can change shit and being in this solar system as well might have somethign to do with it.

hey moron did you come up with why other planets are doing the same shit as earth is?

OP is kill?

>NASA
>telling the truth

The reason you made it this far in life is because you never had to count on NASA for anything but media hype.

behold, someone compiled all the words from the officials and found contradictions. everywhere.
youtube.com/watch?v=ksSZPNQaFP8

space is a lie, we never went to the moon, we will never go to mars. Its hollywood magic. and yes, everyone is in on it. why do you think only freemasons are allowed to "fly"?

Check your mailbox in three hours, there will be a package and a letter. Memorize the letter, burn it, and follow the instructions.

Reassure him you are not in on it - but realize you're probably wasting your time throw this argument at him:

Hipparchus tackled this in 120BC when he ran his triangulation experiment - simultaneously - in Egypt, Rome and Antioch and determined the stars were "infinitely distant". Then Gallileo discovered the stellar parallex and did a similar experiment making use of this larger distance of the 6 month orbit time of the earth. Offer to recreate these experiments with him and friend. Their flat earth theory requires the stars to be "close" if i recall.

pretend to agree and move on.

How fucking dumb and socially retarded can you be?

is this bait?

can someone answer something to me ? if they claim that the earth is flat then how do they explain the fact that at any given time some parts of the earth are in daylight while others are in total darkness? i am really asking because i do not know these kinds of people and what they really say. i really like to know how they explain that. if someone can answer then i will give some more logical observations.

if the earth was flat should it not be the same everywhere, day or night?

>why do we only see one side of the moon
>what is tidal lock

Science has that, and it's permanent. It's called firearms

Seriously now, just think of all the amusing greentext stories you can tell us tomorrow.

>how do they explain the fact that at any given time some parts of the earth are in daylight while others are in total darkness?

They believe that the Sun and Moon are somehow circling overhead. The Sun only illuminates part of the disk at a time.

Of course, this makes sunsets and sunrises impossible, but they even have a rationalization for that.

You can google Flat Earth Society FAQ for their website (I'm not linking it)

I wish OP would check in.

this image doesn't even make sense, you'd still be able to see day light no matter where you are on earth.

Places like iceland are covered in 100% day and 100% night for multiple weeks out of the year and this has NO explanation for that

They claim the sun is like a spotlight. Which still doesn't make sense since a large part of the sky would still be illuminated by scattering.

how do they reconcile seasons with this model?

wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_do_you_explain_day.2Fnight_cycles_and_seasons.3F

>>When the sun is further away from the North Pole, it's winter in the northern hemiplane (or hemisphere) and summer in the south. A more simplistic picture can be found below.

Who are you talking to? No one here is going to buy what you're saying.

Flat earthers are bothering /x/ again

I keep waiting for one of them to illustrate how "midnight sun" is possible in the southern hemisphere using that model. It would wok, GIVEN the idiot model was correct, in the northern hemisphere only.

Is he your older brother or younger brother?

As an older brother with sometimes retarded siblings, all I ever really did to get them to stop spewing bullshit at me was say stuff like "I don't care" or something similar. If he doesn't shut up about it, just fucking clobber him or threaten to clobber him and chances are he'll drop it.

Really, it's super fortunate that he's your brother. You can use violence and other petty methods of suppression without facing too much stigma because hey- you're just brothers doing what brothers do.

>replying to this many posts
Regardless of being batshit insane, you're a self important dick

>how "midnight sun" is possible in the southern hemisphere using that model.

Good point.

Note they will spread the lie that the south pole is guarded by a huge army of UN soldiers to hide the "ice wall".

-until you tell them that thousands of tourists visit Antarctica every year.

>Never felt the earth move once
Wait now flat earthers don't believe in earthquakes?

OP... Is.. is that you?

What did your brother do to you?

So you're the dumbass that doesn't believe the Jews have infiltrated us and orchestrate virtually every terrorist attack so they can earn more shekels.

The seed of my wang goes 0-62 mph every 3.5 hours. Bitch.

If you can't prove him wrong without using some sort of technology that you don't have access to or understand, you're a normie and there is nothing you can do. Just let him believe whatever he wants and if he gets butthurt at you for being a sphere-earther just ask him to respect your beliefs. He's your brother after all. This is how I act around my brother who believes 9/11 was an inside job. I've never actually looked at the evidence or done any calculations myself so I have no idea whether jet fuel can melt steel beams enough to collapse a building. And since I have no mastery of or authority on the subject, my opinion that it wasn't an inside job has no use. The best I can do is be unsure myself.

I myself am unsure about the earth being flat. I've been in planes and high up enough where I would think I'd see some curvature but it's either not there or not discernible. But since I haven't taken the time to calculate what the curvature should be from those heights, I have no idea. Being in the dark isn't so bad, but as a physics major I still take the time to learn everything as if the world were not flat. I just put it in the back of my mind that I still don't know for sure and haven't tested it myself.

I think the best solution is to admit to your brother that the world "could" be flat. If he is unsatisfied, and demands that the world IS flat, ask him for his measurement of the size of the world, has he ever seen the edges, etc. Any question you're legitimately curious about, ask him for his evidence on the subject. If he's a reasonable person, he'll be happy that you said the world "could" be flat and just leave it at that. If he's unreasonable, then it doesn't matter if he's your brother you should get him out of your life, or find a way to make him reasonable. Unreasonable people deserve the isolation that they ask for.

Is he pretending to be retarded?

>the best solution is to admit to your brother that the world "could" be flat.
That's pretty reasonable in this circumstance.

That's just a lie made up by the UN to try to push their one world government
wikipedia is a UN plant!
There are no tourists to antarctica!

>I've been in planes and high up enough where I would think I'd see some curvature
you expect (a lot of) curvature because you grossly underestimate the size of the Earth

>There are no tourists to antarctica!
Can't tell if you're trolling, but how would you know?

yes there are, now shut up

why doesn't the sun get smaller when it sets if the earth is flat

You can stop it by meeting him first, and then asking him to never meet you again.

Communication. Love. (0)!>0

Poe's law

That's just a typical flat-earther baiting response