PERPETUAL MOTION DISCOVERED: Time Crystals

>Scientists have confirmed a brand new form of matter: time crystals
>For months now, there's been speculation that researchers might have finally created time crystals - strange crystals that have an atomic structure that repeats not just in space, but in time, putting them in perpetual motion without energy.
>"This is a new phase of matter, period, but it is also really cool because it is one of the first examples of non-equilibrium matter," said lead researcher Norman Yao from the University of California, Berkeley.
NON EQUILIBRIUM MATTER
>"Wouldn't it be super weird if you jiggled the Jell-O and found that somehow it responded at a different period?" said Yao.
>"But that is the essence of the time crystal. You have some periodic driver that has a period 'T', but the system somehow synchronises so that you observe the system oscillating with a period that is larger than 'T'."

Thoughts on the significance of this (pending) discovery Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/pdf/1609.08684.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>scientists have confirmed
stopped reading right there

Did you two even read the article? Here is the University of Maryland's paper: observation of a discrete time crystal

arxiv.org/pdf/1609.08684.pdf

LOL i miss the memedrive now

Reality is weirder than science fiction.

your typical standard model bible thumpers

OH NO NOT THE TIIIIIIIMMMEEE CRYSTAAALLLSS. CHRONOS CONSUMES US ALL
I miss the le mEMe drive

If you had the time to lose,
An open mind and time to choose,
Would you care to take a look,
Or can you read me like a book?

Time traveler theory confirmed

>perpetual motion
>non-equilibrium
The paper explicitly states that you need a drive to continue the oscillations, just that they're resistant to perturbations in that drive.
This will be useful for quantum memory storage, but it's certainly not 'perpetual motion' by any stretch.

Is there a difference in definitions between what chemists and physicists class as equilibrium? My (undergraduate) understanding of equilibrium was a state wherein the concentration of products and reactions reached a constant. How exactly does this apply to the state of the crystal, I don't understand why it is being described as "non equilibirum" matter?

>time crystals
how the fuck can a person come up with a name THAT misleading, for fucks sake

You are fucking with multiple timelines with this shit.

We are going to fuck ourselves up, manipulating time matter.

CHAOS CONTROL

scientists are actually coming up with more and more ridiculous names in order to trick religious cuckoos into unsuspectingly believing in science.

Is this the secret to meme magic?

what the fuck

holy fuck i hate normies

so the crystal's structure's a perpetum mobile without consuming energy? What about it you fucking nerd

Hi I'm dumb as fuck.
Can someone explain what this means, what we can do with it and why I should care so I can post this on facebook?

Can you smoke them?

>be electron in yterrbium ion lattice
>be excited by a laser, then have spin flipped over & over
>settle down with you & your electron buddies into a resonant pattern of spin flipping like a cool little dance
>be perturbed by laser again at different speed
>keep spin flipping at exact same speed, reinforced by neighbors
>you are now part of a second crystal of electrons, whose behavior is constant despite outside influence

imagine shaking jello & it moves, but at half the speed you shake it. it's a new state of matter. interesting applications in computing, nothing else yet.

it's called a "time crystal" because journalists are gay.

how about that them there god particles?

Shut up nerds. Science is fucking awesome.

Thanks nerd.

>because journalists are gay
the man that first proposed the existence of them called them that

>it's called a "time crystal" because journalists are gay.
you fucking autists need to get laid.
I read "time crystals" and one sentence later I got the meaning.
crystals are classically spacially repeating patterns. so a "time crystal" would have a temporal repeating pattern.

only american-tier fucktards would think it has something to do with scifi shit like time travelling

np fuckass

well he's gay then

when did i say i thought that, you self-lauding swine?

*BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP

>Is there a difference in definitions between what chemists and physicists class as equilibrium?

They are similar in meaning but apply to slightly different phenomena. Whereas in chemistry you are interested in the balance between different chemicals, in physics they use it to refer to the balance between different phases of matter of the same chemical composition.

So for example in standard material science the steel you are looking at is not currently melting or freezing, but has reached an equilibrium in the phases so it will not change given current conditions.

Hope that explains it.

Can we has perpetuum mobile yet? I'm tired of working.

ehhhhhh

the behavior of the electrons means that they can't settle down into a normal, equal spread of energy. they're playing hot potato. they're not GOING anywhere, but they are DOING something, in a way that ignored how much or little energy is being pimped in. if we can do it with less energy?

not yet. maybe. probably. i don't know.

but we do now know that this is physically possible.

>Time Crystals
These have been around forever.

They just get you +5 seconds in the Crystal Dome

Up the irons

>self-lauding swine
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

I don't know what you just said, but I'm sure it was something beautiful.

>fuckass
Don't you dare ever call me fuckass, fagnugget.

So the time crystal never reaches (physical?) equilibrium, and as such is constantly changing phases even at it's ground state?

>as such is constantly changing phases even at it's ground state?

Right, it's cycling through the same set of phases in a periodic fashion.

Neat.

the last time I read about this it turns out the crystals dont move at all and this is just pop sci.

>tfw I misplaced my time crystal and it's now 5 years in the past
How do I get it back?

>tfw I can post craiglists ads to find a bro to jerk off and energize my time crystal necklace, now, tomorrow, yesterday and until eternity itself has said it's prayers.

>find another time crystal
>attach note
>"go pick up this crystal and keep it forever"
>"misplace" second crystal
>suddenly you forget what you were doing and remember you received a strange note 5 years ago attached to a crystal that told you where another crystal was
>take out 2 crystals from pocket
>repeat until you have -1/12th of a time crystal
ftfy

/pol/ on time crystals, get a load of these fucking retards

I'm so glad they were called time crystals so that this sort of thread is possible.

honestly Veeky Forums sucks, but just look at the shitfest that is /pol/
IN COMPARISON I guess this board is "intelligent"

Yeah, Veeky Forums is far from stellar, but I'm glad we have it when that is the alternative. Jesus Christ.

You're offended by memes ? Why do SJWtards even bring their bitching on this board ?

sooo what practical use of these literal crystals have ? How do you put them in use so they create a perpetual motion with conserving their energy ?

>memes
Are you joking? Have you read the thread? Not only does nobody actually understand the OP in the slightest, nobody wants to understand it. There are people calling quantum mechanics a conspiracy and relativity "quackery".
>SJWtards
Aah, I understand now, you are 14.
Perpetual motion is misleading. What's so special about them is the fact that they are constantly changing phase without the energy level needing to change. Imagine a bar tub of water that would steam, freeze and exist as liquid, all at room temperature. Apparently they have an application in computing, but I don't know much about that. I think we should be taking time out to appreciate these crystals as the interesting physical anomaly they are, regardless of application.

You just recited what the article already said. You don't seem to get shit about it.

The article says the crystals exist in a state of perpetual motion though.

Why isn't this on a more reliable science news source ?

>time crystals

Theoretical Physics is just boundless quackery.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I didn't think they'd stoop so fucking low. This is like L Ron Hubbard tier retarded.

This is what happens when you let kikes into the Physics department. They practically deify mathematical proofs without ever actually testing anything they do. Pure and utter kike quackery.

back to

I bet youre not even gay enough to kiss me fag do it I dare you

Relativity is quackery.

Newtonian equations work perfectly well, yet according to your big bag and relativity faggots the universe initially exploded, somehow propelling galaxies faster than the speed of light.

Yet Newtonian equations for stars, planets work perfectly well, without accounting for the time dilation an ftl propelling would cause. Why is that?

Theoretical physics is a field championed and loved by jews. Pedophile kikes like Jeffrey Epstein who was a professor of physics in NYU.
Now while them being kikes doesn't invalidate their bullshit, them having lack of any physical testable evidence for the majority of their mathematical models is.

Now we're at "time crystals" probably due to some other contradiction their bullshit created. I am honestly convinced most of t.physics in the 20th and 21st century is pretentious nonsense designed as a vigorous marketing campaign to deify kikes as the great geniuses of our times.

That's why it becomes more obscure and less empirical with every decade. Physicists from the early 20th century would spit on this fucking garbage they churn out these days.

big bang*

DUDE CRYSTALS LMAO

I'm pretty sure I've never seen the word "quackery" used in such a blatantly offensive way on Veeky Forums before.
I mean, I've seen it used for /x/ and /pol/ and time cube and phrenology on Veeky Forums, but i've never seen the word used to target Veeky Forums in a way so utterly stupid.
Congratulations for making my day special!

>uses other boards as scapegoats in an argument
Should we even read the rest of this retards whiny drivel?

Seems you are new on Veeky Forums. People used it a million times since 90% of garbage posted here is strictly /x/ material, this thread included.

>ad hominem without refuting anything I said

Why is there no time dilation in Newtonian equations?

We should just scrap this pathetic field, or merge you with mathematics and cease to call it a science. Practical physics seldom exists nowadays. CERN aand others are entertaining wacky bullshit theories, and have not produced anything useful.

Scientific capital should be concentrated on neuroscience and genetics, to find a way to increase collective intelligence and remove genetic inferiors like jews and other filth through practicing good eugenics.

I am allowed to use ad hom because I do not have to argue with you. You are actively arguing against yourself.
Newton got everything wrong. His "science" was essentially natural philosophy, and didn't achieve any rigor beyond "LUL I THINK THIS LOOKS RIGHT XD"
Newtonian physics is demonstrably incorrect through a variety of experiments, to which I will leave you the liberty of looking up.

>chaos emeralds are real

You're like a parrot from some bullshit interview with a meme scientist.

Newton was not wrong, we still use Newtonian equations for quite a bit. Again you didn't fucking address the main point, being that if relativity kikery is true, why do Newtonian equations outside of a micro context work extremely well? The time dilation from your bullshit big bang theory from ftl travel would have completely put those equations off base, as one would have to account for the time dilation.

Also how come our calculations for seeing certain starlight from pre big bang theory quackery hold today? Meaning why are scientists able to predict when light reaches our planet from afar without using time dilation that ftl travel during big bang would have caused to "expand" the universe?

Waiting for the explanation.

>what we can do with it
absolutely nothing, it's only important for stamp collecting physicists who want something to write about in their next grant application

You'll wait for the explanation for a good long while since I don't know an ounce of physics.
I do know a retard when I see one though, and I'm talking with one right now.

The best part is that you even say "outside of micro context" and don't bother to acknowledge that the micro/macro contexts are the key flaws in your perfectly average approximation that can barely even be called a model anymore.

I want to like this, but it was ruined by a nasty picture of an orange smurf.

>I don't know physics
>I feel qualified to tell you you're retarded

You're like a Christian who has their cuckoldry questioned. Or you're a kike who is defending this purely on your disgusting ethnocentric interest. Either way a pathetic person like you should not attempt to speak in any sense of authority. This is why I support a fascist government shooting worthless (((scientists))) who throw away billions into their bullshit rabbit holes they invented to scam away taxpayer's money. You also sound like your typical nu male plebeian "science enthusiast" who accepts everything some nigger on cosmos tells you without question.

You sir are the perfectly average one not me, you are the one espousing nonsense without even understanding basic physics, as you so plainly said.

It is, see pic related

back to r/atheism m'gentleman

If they're in their ground state and they're stable, then why do they have to keep hitting them with lasers???

wew lad

>t. university of California
You mean the state that keeps committing treason, lying to everyone, trying to force a civil war, obscuring and removing records of the truth, and all sorts of things that makes people question their judgment?

Has anyone besides them been able to replicate any of this yet? Or is it all just another part of the replication crisis?

Also
>Time
>a "dimension"
>not a property of matter that we assigned concepts too and are now mis-interpreting we what find as this
Time is literally a meme. Quantum Zeno effect should prove we know shit all about what we are dealing with.

So, this is happening or something?

Don't overhype things or you will get this kind of reactions.
Just post the link (thanks for that) of the article and fly.

I wasn't paying attention, did the memedrive get debunked yet

i heard it's still thrustin'.

Please refrain from ever posting here in the future. Your maturity levels are not sufficient. Fuckin' kike...

>Newtonian physics is demonstrably incorrect through a variety of experiments, to which I will leave you the liberty of looking up.
Wow...I'm not who you're arguing with, and I'm not a physicist either but it's very clear that you positively do not know shit about shit!