Notes

Hello Veeky Forums,

To past/present students:
Do you take notes in your math class(es)? If not, do you instead review for a test from textbook examples?
Does your professor provide a note outline that you can print? If so, is it a complete outline, or are there blank spots (for examples) that you then fill out during the lecture?

Personally, I always found that taking notes was a distraction, whereas other students would swear that taking notes helped them pay attention during lectures.
What about you?

Also general note taking/review tips and advice are welcome here.

>Pic related, but not my notes.

Professors provides a complete set of notes before our lectures start; there are a few blank spots for trivial proofs or examples. My professor discourages note taking as he has already printed them and encourages the students to listen/observe instead.

I agree that taking notes during a lecture is a distraction and is generally a waste of time.

>Professors provides a complete set of notes before our lectures start; there are a few blank spots for trivial proofs or examples.
It's similar to this at my school, where we have the option to print out note outlines for each textbook chapter being covered. Unfortunately though, they're mostly just examples with blanks for students to then fill in along with the professor. It's a little ironic that the spaces given are usually too small to fit all of the work for a specific problem in, so either way a notebook/loose leaf paper is required.

Those notes are definitely written by a female

Does anyone actually have lecture notes that look that nice? I can only write neatly if I can go at my own pace. My professors write pretty damn fast, so my notes always end up getting sloppy.

what gave it away the colors, the neat handwriting or the fact that it's babby tier math?

Nah those were written at leisure

The writing is feminine

writing pi as n and R as R. women can't into symbols for shit.

>Nah those were written at leisure
That's what I figured. Besides the neat handwriting, everything is spaced out too nicely.

>taking up two whole lines for the integral sign
>only taking up one line for a fraction

No notes and no examples. Notes distract from what the professor is saying which is normally considerably more important. Examples handhold you so you don't have to figure shit out yourself. The only way to study math is to do an assortment of problems throughout the course while going back to review stuff that didn't stick around throughout the course before exams.

the fact that someone actually took the time to fucking put down a pen and pick up another just to switch the color they were writing with

who the fuck has time for that?

Our calc 2 lectures was the prof explaining the material in like 30 minutes, and the next 90 minutes being him cranking out examples. I read the material beforehand from the textbook since the sections are extremely short.

Did feel the need to take any notes?

Did you*

since it seems the question is answered, why not make the thread a show-your-notes thread?

what are you disabled? you can't switch pens mid lecture? how the fuck do you expect to use sobolev spaces in a 1 minute long postdoc assessment while balancing on a tightrope?

I take notes and I think it's a waste not to. Some chicks will just print off the slides and color them with a highlighter. 2 hours of medicinal chemistry (undergraduate) notes.

Well with Chemistry, it makes more sense to take notes due to the fact that there's a lot of information in each chapter. Key points that you know you will be tested on can then be extracted and listed in a more condensed version (notes). I didn't even have a textbook for either Chemistry 1 and 2, and still got an A in both classes (we did have the option to print note outlines, however).
I guess when it comes to math for example, copying down every example, if any at all, that the professor works through isn't necessary. At least if the textbook for that class already has examples listed in it, that is.

>using lined paper to begin with

ultimate pleb

OP is probably a cute grill.
hmu on kik: HungGalois112

>anime convention fo chemists
KEK

>Do you take notes in your math class(es)?
Usually, yes. That doesn't have to mean writing everything the professor writes down in excruciating detail but simply keeping down just enough to be able to redo it if I have to, and occasionally writing the oral remarks the professor makes

>prved

sheeeeeeitt, nice handwriting

I can focus better when I'm taking notes.

>anything different from this

Top pleb

isnt this what i was implying

>Do you take notes in your math class(es)?

Obviously, holy shit. Always copy definitions and theorems. If you don't then you are fucked because there are many obscure definitions and theorems that you will not find online easily. It is best to always have your list of important knowledge.

>Does your professor provide a note outline that you can print?

All professors give us is a full description of the course with all the topics. It is send via email so we can print it. Is this what you mean?

>I always found that taking notes was a distraction

Not if you only copy the important bits. If you are in a math class and instead of paying attention to a 2 page long proof, you decide to copy it like a retard then that's a mistake. Copy the theorem's statement, pay attention to the proof. Sometimes I, at most, make bullet points of what the professor is doing for the proof so that in the future if I cannot prove it myself I can guide myself with the bullet points. By the way, the bullet points don't have to be detailed. It has to be like

>First prove this
>then this
>then this
>then the theorem.

To know what path to follow in the future in case you can't figure it out yourself.

I write fancy notes in cursive. My notes always look like they were written by an 18th century law maker. I'll often stylize them and typically make detailed drawings throughout pages.

That said my notes lack any real substance, and are usually just ideas and questions I have during class so I can remember to ask them afterwards.

People are always hugely impressed by how detailed and professional they look but I almost never go back and read them. I think making attractive notebooks has become a bit of a hobby. Even if it's mostly superficial.

Its scientifically supported that note taking helps improve test scores. I take notes because professors/teachers often word their test questions in the same format as the way that they produce lectures. Take notes but not detailed notes. Gather your ideas around main points and subjects the professor/teacher covers extensively.

I take notes because my teacher usually says "this is important" or "guys/gals, you should write this down".

I take notes to avoid the sleep in the class.

I read the book material and take notes on it a day or two before I come to lecture. When I go to lecture I usually just sit and listen with a notebook open, just in case my professor does a particularly interesting or exotic exercise or proof that I want to remember for later.

I am going to try note taking for proofs by doing what says. Instead of writing the proof (which I won't memorize word for word because I'm not a sperg) I am going to just write down the bigger ideas in the proof.

are there any binders, that are similarly sized to a notebook, but you can just bind a4 paper?

>Always copy definitions and theorems. If you don't then you are fucked because there are many obscure definitions and theorems that you will not find online easily.
Are they not listed in a way that's easily accessible in the textbook that your class uses?
>Pic related.

>All professors give us is a full description of the course with all the topics. It is send via email so we can print it. Is this what you mean?
That sounds like a class syllabus, which lists all the topics/chapters in a textbook that the class will go through. What I meant by a note outline is that it's a document that you have the option to print out off of Blackboard (or whatever your school uses), which has a lot of the info already typed up on it. Mainly theorems and equations are listed on it, along with specific problems that the professor picked. Under each problem is a blank space, which the students copy the work down in that the instructor writes out.

I'm in Calculus 2 by the way, so I'm unaware of how upper level math classes may be conducted.

>Are they not listed in a way that's easily accessible in the textbook that your class uses?

They are but I don't buy or use textbooks in class. A waste of time and money. Professors always recommend textbooks but there is no offical textbook for a class.

> which has a lot of the info already typed up on it.

We don't have this.

Do you guys take notes from online lectures? Like MIT and shit

>They are but I don't buy or use textbooks in class. A waste of time and money.
Eh, I find that reading through the subsection of a chapter discussed in class helps me cover any information I may have not picked up, and it just helps me review in general. Does your teacher assign homework, or do you ever do problems just for practice? I suppose you could torrent the textbook for that case.

enjoy writing like a serial killer with your handwriting all over the place

Professors assign problems but they are not graded usually. Just "you should be able to solve this" type deals. If a professor assigns a problem and you can't solve it that is a good sign you should drop out.

Nice handwriting, I would want to learn that

But is useless when doing real lecture notes or doing math

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU WRITE THAT FUCKING NEATLY
EVEN IF I TAKE MY TIME IT NEVER COMES OUT LOOKING THAT GOOD

Girls literally spend hours doing nothing but trying to make their writing "pretty" when they're young.

While the male kids just write what they need to write and make sure its just good enough to be legible, communicable, and get the job done.

>not writing all your notes with the same drafting pencil you've had since the 12th grade.

desu senpai I lost it

I just ordered a rotring 600 how bad did i fuck up

Is gel-based pen a meme?

Why you dont use a cheap pencil?

yes, too heavy

I don't know
I've always been autistic about writing utensils
something to do with having something quality that I can call mine and will last a long time

I've heard people say that but I've also heard an equal amount say they don't mind

what do you recommend?

Pentel Smash Q1005
Really anything from Pentel or Tombow, although Tombow has some childish designs.

Whoever wrote those notes has phenomenal hand writing.

Holy shit I'm happy I'm dumb

I'd rather keep making 24k a year with 5 weeks vacation than have to stress about this shit every day

what the hell are you talking about

Notes help if you don't have absolutely perfect memory, which is most people. Especially considering that most students don't have the luxury of being able to sit down and do problems to consolidate the information immediately after the lecture. Its also pretty much necessary in classes where the professor neither teaches out of the book or posts lecture notes. I've had several classes like this.

Examples help you understand the application. The point is for them to handhold you. The point is scaffolding - they handhold you with that, so that you can figure shit out on your own better when you work through other problems.

Writing notes for me lets me focus better during lectures. While you suggest that it distracts me from what they're saying, I feel that it usually helps me process it and to keep me focused on the lecture. It also puts the information in one consolidated place.

Will 100% agree that that's the best way to study math. Notes aren't for reviewing, they're for reference.

I took welding in college, little math. What field is this shit for?

I'm a passerby to this board

it just looks like calc 3, relatively low math

Please don't come back.

I've honestly almost always learned better out of books.

It also doesn't help that in virtually every class I've had, they've used the textbook problem sets for homework, so if you didn't have the textbook or weren't good friends with somebody with it you'd be fucked.

Same classes also tended to have shitty lectures because they expected you to go back and fill in everything with the book.

I feel like that's kind of a severe statement.

I think the majority of students run into problems that they can't solve, or don't have the time to invest invest more than a few hours to solving, seeing as at any given point in time you'll have a shitload of other work to do.

Often, it just comes with a small missed connection that's quickly amended with a little hint or suggestion, or a different way to view the problem.

I don't intend to, sperg

Ah

Yeah there are 1/2 inch binders. They're annoying to find online though because so many people search for other sizes.

I cordially invite you to Humanity. Please join our discord server.

discord.gg SLASH ngYZGEr

Just fucking learn to use org-mode and then you get pretty, typed, hierarchical notes and get all of this for free:

- latex export
- flashcards
- wiki-style links and shit
- todos

For me, I think it is worthless to take notes. I usually just work out the problems before the lecture, and learn about my mistakes through the lecture.

I fucking hate taking notes on a computer.

desu if I see someone typing their notes in a math heavy class I immediately hate them

How do I write like that

of course with a single colored pen

>not having large a4 size notebook for all notes
>using lined paper instead of math paper

>"math paper"

I use that for circuits classes but only because it's easier to make circuit diagrams look neat. Otherwise I fucking hate it because it's harder to read stuff.

Take that back, fuck face.

>pen and paper

Poorfags absolutely disgust me.

I use a surface pro 4 + onenote for all homework, lecture notes, and review work.

k

obviously

but not like a 12 year old girl with different colored pens

I can tell you arleady get that shit but are just wanking your cock at this point. Move on if you understand. Jesus.

Have autism or estrogen injections.

Your notes remind me of my biochem notes.

Want to be friends?

I have seen grills take out 4 pens and a couple of highlighters while switching between them constantly in lectures before.

I don't get the hate against color coding notes.

I usually do black+blue notes, so that I can write side notes in another color while recording what the ideas of the lecture are in the main color. It also makes drawings or graphs a hell of a lot more coherent.

underrated post

My handwriting is shit, I just want to improve it ;_;

Well, I guess I'll fall for rotring 600 meme and write good enough to be, at least, eradable

yes. they write like shit and stop working after a while. pilot v5 if god tier because it writes super well and spending four bucks on a two pack will last you at least two months, if not six months before you lose them.

> To past/present students:
> Do you take notes in your math class(es)? If not, do you instead review for a test from textbook examples?
> Does your professor provide a note outline that you can print? If so, is it a complete outline, or are there blank spots (for examples) that you then fill out during the lecture?

I used to take minimal notes (definitions, theorem statements, very shot sketches of their proofs) and devote most of my attention in class to understanding what was going on and if possible guessing where it was going. Trying to figure out the next step of every proof as it was being shown was not only more practice than I could have ever hoped to get outside of class, but it helped a lot in remembering the theorems and their proofs since I had worked actively on them and not just written them down mechanically.

>spending this much on paper
I love Jetstreams and Acroballs because they write smoothly without great pressure. Too bad all of the bodies of the Jetstream have a shitty rubber texture.

Yeah I agree with you OP. I like to spend 100% of my resources on focusing, like this guy . Occasionally I'll jot something down that I might need to review later (i.e "Euclid's Theorem"). I think reading the material before hand is excellent advice to.

I used to be a big believer in writing allowing improved memorization meme, but not so anymore. Sometimes if the class is borign as fuck, too slow, etc, I will take notes just to pass time.

I review for test by going through the harder homework problems (beginning with my weaker areas) and if I'm struggling I reread notes, the textbook and/or watch some videos. But by not falling behind, this isn't so time consuming :^)

I've also begun taking notes in LaTeX, so that later down the road I can reference back to something a little more permanent (otherwise my paper notes always end up getting used as kindling lol). So I just transfer important tidbits from a lecture and the text. I wish I had done this in Calc 2, because as a Calc 3 student I already feel like I forgot multitudes of details.

winblows fags absolutely disgust me.

Liberate X60T for all homework, lecture notes and review work, casual flth

wtf am I looking at
those circles look like finite state machines

I hat I'm trying now is actually something I saw on Veeky Forums

I buy those shitty $1 notepads and during lecture I barf everything I can on it while not losing focus. The next day, I look at the book and do some problems and try to fill in what my notes are missing as I rewrite them in a nice, succinct, orderly fashion.

When I'm done with it, I usually know my stuff pretty well (as I write explanations on how to solve problems to an invisible third party). And I have a convenient way to review before exams

Markov chains

isn't the whole point of notetaking just that the actual act of writing things down helps you remember shit more

i always take notes on the examples worked in class etc. even though I almost never refer back to them

By sophomore yr in college I realized how much time and effect those profs put into writing all that smart shit on the board. Pic Related became how I started taking notes for the remaining time on campus.
Who needs paper?

Add when I really needed that extra understanding of the materiel I'd draw the way I got it and asked questions with the "pictures" I made.

This.

I accidentally arrived an hour and a half early for my discrete lecture so I decided to stay and take notes for fun. The course was gender studies

damn

I have about 4 pages of notes from it

Try to be consistent, that's all. Also, try writing from the shoulder, not the wrist. Keep the spacing between words even (about the width of a capital O). Don't be afraid to go slow at first.

I only take notes if it is something important.

>not graphing paper
It's like your trying to stay retarded.