Math Majors Poll

strawpoll.me/12222903

Let me know if I missed any.

Mathematical physics always seems like a vaguely defined field. Like I do Algebraic Geometry, but my work is always motivated by physics.

>engineering
>pure
>philosophy
>most unpure

ya he changed it. engineers should be before physicists obviously. philosophers should be pretty much next to math

you're missing reconstructed historical math

engineering goes between philosophy and bio, not after the pure sciences, are you retarded?

Is this actually a thing? I'm a math major, but I also enjoy the classics, and this sounds like my dream field.

Bump

Is this for what we majored in in undergrad or what we're doing currently?

why is actuarial math and mathematical physics not a part of applied math?

Different majors

applied math here, ama

What university.

Emf is more pure than math

>Let me know if I missed any.

You probably missed just "math". My degree has nothing preceding it. It is just called "math". It is more inclined and while it focus a lot on pure mathematics, along the way I have mandatory courses like programming languages, mathematical finance and mathematical modelling, which border on applied math.

I'll just vote on pure though as the applied bits are the minority.

Bump

philosophy pwns all other majors

Why is computer science looked down upon so much? I don't understand why it receives so much hate.

Actuarial math and applied math are the most similar. Removing actual math would make sense. Mathematical physics can get pretty intense and requires a lot of niche knowledge from various fields of pure math.

Probably because of the stereotypical cs major which is doing it to learn how to program or make videogames.

most undergrad programs are utter bullshit

Mathematical Physics is not applied math.

ra-cha-cha

RIT is so self-contained I barely go into the city at all

physics is more 'pure' than engineering considering all engineering is essentially derivative of it. similar to how math is more 'pure' than physics because physics is derivative of math.

Actually engineering invented a lot of physics. Most of EM and Fluids was done by engineers.