How does Placebo work?

How does Placebo work?
I mean how does it actually work, how do we change our body's functioning by belief alone?

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/nrn/journal/v6/n7/full/nrn1705.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also what are the limits of placebo? They say it can sometimes even help with cancer.
Can we augment placebo effects? I know his is reaching but is it possible that placebo was responsible for all sorts of anciant healing techniques and since peope believed in them so much they actuaoly worked?

it works because we live in a simulated reality

Perception.

>living in the age of mechines and clocks.
The universe is a clock guys!
>living in the age of virtual simulations and computers.
The univrse is a simulation guys!

The brain controls a lot of hormones in the body. If you somehow trick the brain into releasing these hormones, they will have an effect.

thank you for the lucid and thorough explanation.

because their "problems" are caused by stress and anxiety and being nutters

can you trick your brain into converting every cell in your body into a stem cell, thus reversing aging?

and how exactlt does stress and anxiety function to hurt ur body?

Hormones.

Fun fact: Voodoo is real and it can kill you. This has been medically documented. It's called the nocebo effect.

It convinces the brain to release endorphins, which are like opiates. The placebo effect can be blocked by naloxone, which blocks opiates.

>nocebo
>muh hormones

"One article that reviewed 31 studies on nocebo effects reported a wide range of symptoms that could manifest as nocebo effects including nausea, stomach pains, itching, bloating, depression, sleep problems, loss of appetite, sexual dysfunction and severe hypotension."

so endorphines can cause cancer to recede?

Truth.
People interpret their state in a manner that is skewed by their expectations.

Your mind is an integral part of your body, and your beliefs interact with your physical health through a variety of neurological mechanisms, some poorly understood.

Yes. You can also induce cancer under the same principle.

The body is a series of organs and tissues.
One of these organs, in fact, a central organ, is the brain.
The brain partially controls signals for biochemical, antibody and threat processes.
Some of those process work independent of the brain, but the brain can also convince the body that it is in either a relaxed state or a threatened state, thereby influencing or triggering reactions.

A great deal of medicine is actually the masking of symptoms or inadvertent reactions being refined into a system process of delivery and action (birchbark being used for headaches, for instance is a happenstance, not a design).

what is the universe in the gaalctic era?

These overlap and compliment each other though.

>think about being a failure
>give yourself tachycardia

Your brain can make your body do shit, surprise.

That looks like my omega 3 fish oil

Your pill grants you +3 IQ points!

It's more that worrying too much makes people sick and placebos relief worries. It's similar to panic attacks somewhat. Hyper awareness of rather harmless symptoms spirals into actual symptoms because of hyperventilating, stress and tension.

Stomach ulcer. I worry I will get one... Hue, hue, hue...

must be a coincidence

OP, there are actually some publications about this. I have to admit that I haven't read much recently, but I remember a nice Nature review from a few years ago:

nature.com/nrn/journal/v6/n7/full/nrn1705.html

I'm sure there are more recent ones, but it's an interesting read regardless.

That's not entirely true, but stress can cause actual physical problems. Mental problems can transition into physical problems.

One stop complaining and waits to get better - and usually does.
If fuckwits could understand how lab's really do their research on the field - all but aspirin is placebo

you just got placebo'd

Placebo's don't work. If they did, they'd be no need for drugs.
The body can heal, so the mind makes it so for simple things such as headaches.

Who said anything about that, retard?

I said stress and anxiety cause hormonal effects. Ever heard of cortisol?

>Placebo's don't work.
Are you mentally challenged?

Reduced stress, better sleep.

No.

Somebody clearpill me on placeboes...

How would a suicide pill placebo work?

For example, let's say I'm extremely suicidal and I travel to Mexico to buy nembutal in the black market. I pay hundreds of dollars and am totally confident that what I'm about to take is nembutal and that I'm going to die so I lay in bed take my pill and close my eyes. What would happen to me if what I was taking was just a placebo?

placebos work because the body can literally do anything it pleases, but it only knows how to do certain things, within the limits of its programming, it can affect cures and alterations that seem miraculous.

there's no actual reason you couldn't be genetically altered to shoot lasers from your eyes. it's just that it's illegal.

Nothing. Unless you freak out and get a heart attack or aneurysm.

>doesn't realize a clock is the literal heart of a computer
So smug in your ignorance