GeoGeneral

>learn about /comfy/ crystal structures
>look at cool metals, rocks, n minerals
>gets to camp in the wilderness
>travel the world
>occasionally take samples to lab
>get paid stacks for enjoying life outdoors and doing science
>don't need a doctorate

Is there any better profession than that of a field geologist? Or are these rock memers brainlets?

Geology general

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Manual-Mineral-Science-Cornelis-Klein/dp/0471721573
elementsmagazine.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no rocklove

I enjoy hiking but hate camping (I never feel clean). I have a 6 week camp trip this summer to finish my geology degree. I am not looking forward to it.

Lake sediment from a field trip last semester. I can get a better picture but right now I'm supposed to be taking a take home test.

STOP LETTING OUT THE SECRET.

I'll take your spot lol.
I'm sure it won't be too bad. Most field camps I hear of are a very loose example of camping. They probably have some type of shower arranged, do they? If not, then you can either make one or just use backpacking "bath wipes", face wash and plenty of deodorant. And let the feet air out every chance you get.
Protip... wear synthetic or light wool clothing because it will not stink nearly as bad as cotton after repeated use. And you can get by for a while with just rinsing synthetic/wool clothings in river and drying in the sun. Sometimes just putting on fresh clothing can make feel clean.

I'd like to know how you got hired as a field geologist. I was always told they're never hired because there are little to no jobs in the geo field

>went in geo to b outside
>most classes had so much field sampling
>now I associate outside w/ work
>don't even like hikes anymore
>did senior research on high temp isotope geochem topic
>spent all my time in the clean lab or on the ICPMS
>after a year of this I lost my mind
>don't like working in labs anymore
>last month have interview at earth resource engineering firm
>"user it'll be about 50/50 for office time and field time"
>I actually love it
> feel comfy and have lots of minerals decorating my office.
>life is good

What degree do you have? M.S? Or B.S?

Currently EE and submitting grad school app for physics (PhD) next semester, would I be able to do field work outside at a company like yours?

Physics is too much of an indoor sport for me and I regret not doing geology before it was too late

B.S. My company said they'd pay for grad school, and I'm thinking of either doing geo, applied math, or civil

yea you would. We actually have an electrical eng. office. I know they let those guys do field work when they request it, as long as the work is billable.

Yaaaaaas

Any chance I'd get to be versed in glorious rock knowledge? Signals, systems, and co. are p chill but I wanna delve into at the very least some rudimentary crystall(mineral)ography / metallurgy

I've been rockhounding obsessively for over a decade and have some awesome specimens. Why don't I get paid for it?

You'd mostly learn structural, geophys, and geochem. mineralogy is more of a professional research topic, but if you want to learn about it then read:

The manual of mineral science (the best mineralogy text)--->amazon.com/Manual-Mineral-Science-Cornelis-Klein/dp/0471721573

and

Elements magazine ---> elementsmagazine.org/

>Manual of Mineral Science 23rd Edition
Hello, fellow rock licker.

Geology undergrad thinking about doing my masters in petrology. I'm hesitant, as the field can be volatile and I don't want to live in Texas. Any petrologists have any advice for a prospective student?

>I don't want to live in Texas
2BAD UR FUCKT M88
t. Chicagolander licking rocks in Keksas

Brush you should of done Boy Scouts or something, I chose geology because I love camping so much. You get used to the oiliness after your first day or two anyway, man up and have some fun out there or let me go instead lol

Rockpill me here, why should i pick Geology and what are the best fields?

Take an intro to geology class. Most people fall in love as soon as they do this. If its not for you, you'll know right away

Haha bunch of lame ass rock jockeys enjoy your fuckin rocks ya stupid ass NERDS

Fucking lmao @rockpill

Alright brohs since I'm in too deep with EE I'm gonna cap off this cuck degree and try to transfer directly into a Msc of geophysics program and try to do field work

r8 my plan m8s
Will the supreme autists let me join their rock club despite my status as an EE goy? Or is transferal near impossible from such different subjects?

Idk how grad admission works in regard to changing subjects from undergrad

Follow up: would a physics PhD count as "qualified" credentials to work as a geophysicist (assuming I read up on geology independently)? Or would a lack of official geology classes fuck me?

fuck off, we're full.

seriously though, the boom is over and the old timers control the market. You'll be making a huge mistake to major in geology for actual good money.

Same could be said for EE though
(and a lot of STEM in general)

I'd take the paycut to be a glorified hobo camping in tents collecting rocks with some science on the side over perpetual report filing and proofreading in an office 60 hours a week any day

>geologist
>not geological engineer
why do people hate money?

I used to live at pic related

I found two fist sized hunks of Jadeite in Flyaway Gulch

Gold Mines my friend owned still had millions on fine gold in hard rock..

place had some wild Serpentine that had been worn in the water of Flyaway Gulch creating some beautiful patterns.. also found this cool hunk or water worn white quarts that looked like a human heart..

Some geo book said this was one of the only Jade deposits within the lower 48.

19th edition here. Great book. Have a work book created for it by a professor from the Colorado School of Mines as well.

>tfw want to return to NYC after college but also want a job in geology

Museum work it is, boys

>this entire thread

That's some nice lookin gold m8