When did you realize you were a brainlet?

When did you realize you were a brainlet?

>failed trig a second time

Starting next semester Im just a business major.

Its not fair, Ive loved science my whole life. Everyone always called me so smart.

what do you mean you failed trig? Is that a freshman course there? What kind of things did you learn about? Also I've seen PhDs messing up the sin and cosine signs so don't feel too bad.

messing up the sign of a trig function's output years later when you're doing research on something unrelated is not evidence that failing trig is "okay."

>Starting next semester Im just a business major.
lmao

Look on the bright side user

[spoiler]you'll make more than everyone on this board[/spoiler]

>shit at biology, chemistry, physics
>did well in computer science 1 (python)
>try computer science 2 (C++)
>can't understand shit, drop class
>forced to pursue actuarial """"science"""" just to associate science with my name at all

I've met a Ph.D. in theoretical ecology that struggles with intermediate algebra.
How, I do not know

>theoretical ecology

>theoretical ecology
you what

I didnt know algebra, couldnt even do basic arithmetic without a calculator. Finally decided to get serious and have made an anki deck to memories all the basic arithmetic facts and after that Ill move on to conquer algebra.

When I realized I went into science and math instead of business and finance.

unless you're in a top research group in a hot field then a phd for US citizens is a retarded idea. it doesn't open any doors and just wastes 5 years of your time. a 1-1.5 year coursework only masters is more worthwhile.

and by retarded idea what i mean is that it's not surprising for someone who does it to be a moron.

>everyone always called me so smart
>had to take trig in college

Nigga, this should've been your first clue that something was amiss. Anyway, if you failed trig twice, I think your discipline and study skills are just shit. Trig is easy - it's just memorizing stuff, but you do actually have to make an effort to memorize it. It's not just going to all "click" one day without any effort.

I had to take cal 2 four times before passing.

I just finished making an A on my last modern algebra test.

How? The capacity to learn basic calculus is probably available to most people, if they actually dedicate their time and effort to the subject. Failing four times just seems like you were incredibly lazy or there was underlying issues in your personal life.

You are in fact correct, there was a lot if stuff going on. I guess I should have asked OP how much effort he is able to put forth.

How do you afford to fail a single class that many times? First off, calc 2 is usually a pre req to a bunch of other classes. Next, doesn't financial aid have you meet some sort of unit requirement(assuming you use financial aid) ?? Or are you EU and get free college?

Just take tutoring and practice more.

I realized i was brainlet after getting a D in precalc

>When did you realize you were a brainlet?
When I have understood that my decision to go for the Ph.D. instead of going to the industry was retarded.

Wore tall rubber boots that went past the knees that were given to me. Try walking down steps for the first time. Smash head on concrete at age 3. Forget much of my past and find difficulty creating new memories and thinking. Sad drunk now at 23. Dad was always mad at me brcause he thought I was smarter and yelled which caused psychological problems. I'm a brainlet and I'm ok.

Lmao but I still got an A in precalculus calc and calc 2 in hs.

I dropped it once and failed it twice. I made it through the fourth time. The school has a requirement you pass 66 percent of your credit, which means you can fail about 1 class if your taking a lot of hours, which I was. I'm at a decent private school in the southeast, I just had a run of bad luck with family and work. Either way, like I mentioned, I'm killing it now. Made an A in 3/4/proofs and so far so good in modern. I only brought it up because some people choke super hard if they fail once or twice, I'm an example where it pays to push through

This is my "transcript" so far.

College Algebra - C (the room was fucking hot and I was dizzy. also didn't study as hard as I should have)
Matrices and Vectors (Basically Linear Algebra) - C+ Didn't study anything beyond cross products.
Calc I - B, don't know what went wrong. Probably careless mistakes?
Physics I - B+
Physics II - F first time
Calc II - B Didn't study taylor series
Discrete Math - F
Thermodynamics I - F
Literally didn't study those two subjects at all. I was going through a "depression" I guess.

That was my first year.

Second year
Calc III - A (first A. Really proud of myself)
Physics II - B
Thermodynamics I - B
Discrete Maths - C- Exam anxiety towards the end
Differential Equations - D+ I fucking don't know how I got a D+. I can fucking solve DEs for fucks sake. Was pretty pissed about my mark.

This semester
Circuit Analysis I
Digital Logic
Macroeconomics
Differential Equations

I hope to get my GPA to 3.2 when this term ends.

I'm pretty sure I'm a total dunce but I also know that I fucking hate physics, or engineering. I'm just in engineering because its the closest thing to maths. But I'm not too worried. I have anything but time. I'm sure one day things will work out for me. I'm still trying my best and trying to sort out my depression and it's gotten a lot better since last semester. The A in Calc III really gave me a morale boost because I proved to myself it is possible for me to get an A.

Note, I'm at a shit school where if you repeat the course, it uses the repeat score in the GPA but both courses show up on the transcript.

off yourself my man

working on it

>y, like I m
im doing pretty shit at school bcs of depression too.
kinda gay, hope I dont die or fail.

It's really common among smart kids to grow up underachievers, since we become used to chilling out before tests while our peers study hard to reach the same scores as us. This is why most high IQ teens perform worse in high school relative to their peers than in middle school.

The root of this problem is that the school system is designed for the average student and most "smart kids" don't fit that description, which is why I believe smart kids should move on to homeschooling after elementary school in order to keep up their fast learning rhythm.

To be good at trig you have to realize than the functions aren't magic. Unit circle is bae. Look up trig gifs online. Once you're good with trig you don't think "what trig function accomplished this thing?", you'll think "what geometric function reperesents what I want to do, And what trig function reperesents the geometric function?"

I'm not working in STEM and dropped out of college halfway through linear algebra because I was bored, but I wake up in the morning thinking shit like
>I bet abstracting the concept of parity to n subsets would be useful
so I usually just assume I'm not a brainlet, just a good for nothing brain-haver.

I've always known it.
Too autistic to be able to better myself in any reliable fashion.

>tfw tutor
>tfw ongoing glut of dumb students who'll never graduate continue to fill my pockets
No offense, OP. You go be a manager or whatever.

When I stopped caring about things.
Ignorance is probably the biggest kind of stupidity.

when I met someone who was actually smart back in highshool.

yeah i have this problem too.

course the guy who i met in highschool who was actually smart is even more of an underachiever and didnt even go to college. cunt was taking college junior level math classes as a highschool junior.

how so?

t. ignoramus

Halfway through high school I realized that I won't get anywhere by cruising through classes, so I forced myself to study in order to develop a work ethic.

>When did you realize you were a brainlet?
When i finished my 5 year uni and was left broke and jobless.
Still am.

>failed trig
>twice
how does one accomplish this? I'm impressed desu

Does anyone else flounder when exposed to a new subject? I feel positively retarded when learning new material, but then it'll click about a month later and it makes way more sense

Calc 3
>have no idea what a vector is and how it works
>flounder terribly on homework, takes hours to figure out how to solve vector problems and figure if they intersect and etc
>introduce partial derivatives
>everything clicks, realize this is just calc 1 with vectors
>perfect scores on midterm and final

Organic chemistry
>what the fuck are reactions
>holy shit WHY is this SN2 and that one is SN1?
>why does changing the solvent make this E1? Why is this a good nucleophile?? What the fuck
>fail midterm
>sit down and do all of book problems for final
>see patterns
>do okay on final, get a B
>take winter break, start Ochem 2, given a review pset to work on
>fly through it, why was this hard?
>can see electrons moving when I close my eyes
>holy shit this is amazing

except for all those people pure math PhDs
>300k starting