Fake Facts

What interesting misconceptions do people have?

I have heard that glass slowly drips because it is amorphous and that you can see this effect on old stained glass windows.

However, I have discovered I have been lied to!

Apparently, those were just defects in the glass windows,

youtube.com/watch?v=c6wuh0NRG1s

Other urls found in this thread:

fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm328728.htm
skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/msg-myth-versus-science/
smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/a-wwii-propaganda-campaign-popularized-the-myth-that-carrots-help-you-see-in-the-dark-28812484/
youtube.com/watch?v=6laRU_BzhvU
nationalpeanutboard.org/peanut-info/who-invented-peanut-butter.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yao_Ming#Entering_the_NBA_Draft
imdb.com/title/tt3576038/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

that climate change is real science

My... how originally edgy.

Okay. I have another one. This one is more controversial to Americans.

MSG is not bad.

It's found in a ton of foods such as: tomatoes, mushrooms, and parmesan cheese.

fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm328728.htm

skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/msg-myth-versus-science/

That's always been the case

The great wall of China can be seen from space.

Water spins in the opposite direction as it goes down the drain in the southern hemisphere

People use 10% of their brains.

An "Observer" in QM means someone with eyes and a brain.

Elasamasourus, Pterodactyl, etc are dinosaurs.

Stars gain more gravity when they turn into black holes.

"Theory" means a guess.

Sugar makes children hyperactive.

Edison invented the lightbulb

Tesla invented AC.

>Elasamasourus, Pterodactyl, etc are dinosaurs.
>Sugar makes children hyperactive.

I have to admit that these definitely tricked me.

I especially find the fake fact relating to sugar very interesting. Now I know.

Vaccinations are safe

>That's always been the case

That MSG is not bad or that Americans think that MSG is bad? Alot of Americans are fairly scared of MSG. They think it will poison them.

Supposedly the myth started from pseudo science and a bit of racism. A physician blamed a Chinese restaurant for making him sick and suggested that it was MSG's fault.

On that note, Americans also believe that fortune cookies were invented in China, when, in reality, there is a good chance that they were invented in the US.

I actually don't know what the blue pill is on it, but I do know that when I eat stuff with MSG in it, my nose swells and dries inside, and breathing through it is labored for a few hours. That cannot be good, at least for me, so I avoid it.

It is one thing for a chemical to be naturally present in good healthy real food.
When you take a chemical to make water thickened, colored and textured with chemicals taste like food by adding a chemical, the result is not food.

No...

I shouldn't have brought up something controversial...

No, its still food. It's still just a collection of chemicals. What, are you dense as to what cooking is?

Although carrots have nutrition that help with seeing, they will not give super night vision.

The British are really good at spreading fake facts and made this up to intimidate German pilots,

smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/a-wwii-propaganda-campaign-popularized-the-myth-that-carrots-help-you-see-in-the-dark-28812484/

that geocentrism is wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=6laRU_BzhvU

>People used to think the earth was flat
>Columbus proved the earth was round
>Columbus argued with flat earthers
>The Church discouraged questioning/science
>Nothing happened in the "dark ages"
>"If they don't have bread, let them eat cake"
>Islam is the religion of peace
>Symbolic mathematics has been around for millennia

You can absorb alcohol through the membranes in your mouth, so, even if you spit out wine instead of drinking it, you can still become drunk.

Contrary to popular belief, George Washington Carver did not invent peanut butter.

nationalpeanutboard.org/peanut-info/who-invented-peanut-butter.htm

Lots of rednecks like to give him credit as they make off-handed racist remarks, but, ironically, even their insults are riddled with inaccuracies.

You misspelled "dangerous".

You absorb anything placed in contact with you though capillary action

that science and math mix

msg cant be replicated. why isnt there mushroom pills? shill

how did tesla not invent ac?

ooh man burnt everybody on our chinese cookies shit. maybe sue us with TPP FAG

Ha. Give sugar to my kid and see what happens. I don't care about the fucking 'research' (one study?) that says not, you want to see a kid go from normal to bouncing off the walls?

wrong. I've absorbed a sofa and a laptop.

Dose makes the poison.

Natural atoms are better than artificial atoms.

Tycho's system is basically the heliocentric system with the arbitrary zero,zero,zero coordinate redefined.

edgy or not, he's right

>Water spins in the opposite direction as it goes down the drain in the southern hemisphere
But that's true.

Triple 64s deserve an answer -- Willis Carrier invented AC.

t. poliovirus

The Sun rises exactly in the east and sets exactly in the west every day.

Evolution is goal-directed.

Cold is something that radiates like heat.

All radiation is dangerous.

Lead shielding is a good way to protect from all radiation.

Raindrops are shaped like the classic "teardrop" shape.

Sharks don't get cancer.

Tyrannosaurs couldn't see things that didn't move.

The moon has a dark side.

Lighting does not strike the same place twice.

Bulls are enraged by red.

Bats are blind.

most chinese food in America was invented in America

I've been to China and the food there is VERY different, American stuff is sweeter usually.

same with Indian food vs British-indian food
British stuff is spicier imo

>facts are edgy

Gee we sure do live in interesting times

I have no idea why you seem upset, but I will take this time to continue posting about how Americans are pretty oblivious to other cultures.

Because Americans do not realize that fortune cookies only exist in America and are an American invention, they cheered on Yao Ming with a bunch of fortune cookies (which seems like racist good intentions to me).

He was obviously confused because fortune cookies are American, not Chinese.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yao_Ming#Entering_the_NBA_Draft

Mmm... Artificial atoms...

>Cold is something that radiates like heat.
I once had a receptionist that said this to me. "I can feel the cold radiating from the window." Ah, maybe we should put some draughtproofing in. And guess what, the cold wasn't radiating anymore.

I was once told that cold water will come to a boil quicker than hot water when making pasta.

American Chinese food has a very rich and logical history. Chinese workers and citizens were in America fairly early on which produced the unique genre of food known as American Chinese food.

I had always wondered why Chinese American food was pretty much the same across the entire United States, when the food served is not actually Chinese. How did that standard of fake Chinese food form?

There is a really cool documentary on Netflix that explains everything called "The Search for General Tsao",

imdb.com/title/tt3576038/

I don't want to give away spoilers, but I highly recommend the documentary.

Anyway, as you pointed out, American Chinese food is meant to appeal to Americans, deep fried and covered in sugar.

Indian food as we know it (even in India) didn't exist until the British gave them spices.

Fuck up racist. B4 i fuk u up.

#AntiFaCali

Real chinese food includes chinese people

apparently we've all forgotten

>Lead shielding is a good way to protect from all radiation.

What's wrong with this? It's not the best for neutrons but if you were presented with a strong a / [math]\beta[/math]/ [math]\gamma[/math] / n source and could only choose one material I think I'd go with lead.

good way to get creutzfelds-jakobs disease

food in china is HEAVILY deep fried as well, American-Chinese food is closer to Cantonese or even Vietnamese stuff, sweet, lots of bean sprouts and meat.

I was in Beijing and the food there is very different, if anything I found it to be closer to more continental European food, very savory, lots of lamb and fried stuff, spicy and sour flavours

Jetfuel cannot melt steel beams.

There is really no such thing as "Chinese food." China is huge, and cuisines across the country and between ethnic groups is very distinct.

Not picking on YOU just wanted to reply to somebody in the Chinese food discussion to get tied in.

I recall seeing a patent for a"cold focusing deice" that supposedly focused cold to a point to help keep electron microscope "slides" cool.

The fuck do you call electron microscope analogue to a slide, anyway?

You seem like an expert. Is this real?

The 8 Great Regional Cuisines of China

1. Guangdong/Cantonese Cuisine 粤菜 Yuècài
2. Sichuan Cuisine 川菜 Chuāncài
3. Jiangsu Cuisine 苏菜 Sūcài
4. Zhejiang Cuisine 浙菜 Zhècài
5. Fujian/Min Cuisine 闽菜 Mǐncài
6. Hunan Cuisine 湘菜 Xiāngcài
7. Anhui Cuisine 徽菜 Huīcài
8. Shandong Cuisine 鲁菜 Lǔcài

I think it's really neat that there are different regional cuisines, but I find it to be a very interesting concept because we don't really have anything quite like that in America. I suppose food in America is a bit regional but maybe not that pronounced.

There is no dark side of the Moon. As a matter of fact, it's all dark

that god exists

Your kid probably believes sugar makes them hyperactive and thus the placebo effect takes place. Also, kids usually have high amounts of sugar during fun times such as parties or they are given it as a special treat, which understandably make them more excited. You could probably give your kid something with zero sugar content that tastes sweet and produce the same effect as you would with something that has high sugar content, or give them something with high sugar content that tastes like shit and have no effect at all.

Many such cases!

half of these are trolls

Trump is just going to negotiate a bunch of bilateral TPPs with the countries that matter

It can only weaken them

Tesla made significant contributions; but there were AC grids in use before he was even born.

Nice anecdote. Sugar is energy for the body and obviously kids don't have the restraint an adult has, so when they have more energy they will invariably expel this energy

trump has literally failed every negotiation of every kind since becoming president, lel

Coriolis effect isn't strong enough for that. It effects hurricanes not water going down a drain.

Tesla fanboy here. He, of course, hasn't invented AC, it was a thing before him. The reason he's associated with it so much is because he made it useful by being first to make an AC motor (which was considered by some not to be possible) and publishing a paper on AC motors and transformers.

Shut it boy

My understanding is that msg is approximately as healthy as salt. In the 50's they started realizing that salt might be unhealthy for the first time. There may have been an overreaction and people cut back salt dramatically. Then msg came out and people thought it was some kind of magical flavoring that tasted like salt but it wasn't salt so there were no negative health effects, right? Well actually it basically has the same health effect. It's not dramatically worse than salt, like some would have you believe, but if you replace salt with msg you're not making food healthier either.

As with any public health campaign, the officials need to exaggerate the facts in order to get people to actually change their behavior on a wide scale. If you're smart and pay attention to what you eat, then you're in the upper 10% of consumers.

>when I eat stuff I THINK has MSG in it
ftfy

>The Church discouraged questioning/science
hmmm.
Religion, by definition, needs you to believe without evidence.
Critical thinking and/or science does not combine well with that

The cold wasnt the thing that was radiating. That was the heat.

Why would the water behave differently depending on whether or not you're using it for pasta?

It combines perfectly well until science begins contradicting religion.

In basic English words what would the "observer" mean? Any casual event that interacts with the free particles?

Pretty much, yeah. Your eyes and brain certainly count; but a rock will do the job as well.

the problem is that there are always faggots saying
>but the measurement didn't interact with the particle at all!!

Said faggots are entirely deluded about what interaction means in quantum mechanics.

>don't tread on my memes!
Cry harder

you're a funny guy but check out the mpemba effect

No. It first happened at home, no party, and the transformation was unmistakeable. There was no possible placebo effect.

My kid's reaction to sugar isn't just 'expelling extra energy'. It's a behavioral shift. And I'm guessing from your proposing this idea you don't know much physiology. As if people with a high blood sugar go crazy, yeah, right.

You guys think that because one research project says so, then 'muh science' is infallible. You're fucking delusional.

Fucking hell, there's no fooling you is there Einstein.

>kid gets excited from eating something he likes the taste of

That would be a fun experiment, putting some sugar in spinach or other vegetable.

If I had kids, I would be using them as a human test subject too much.

In my limited understanding, if it has interacted with physical world and left a permanent difference there, it has been observed.

>repeating memes from reddit/atheism as fact

Look at who is believing whatever confirms their biases without evidence now. Maybe you should try that critical thinking yourself.

Here's one I don't think gets enough attention:

>You're left brained and good at art or right brained and good at math/science

This was actually part of my 5th grade science class. It's as bullshit as "humans only use 10% of their brain" , and it's a really bad idea to tell children who like art that they can't be good at math or vice versa. I've run into it several times while tutoring. Ask some kids to spend a few minutes doing their math homework and you get "It's easy for you because you're right brained but I can't do it because I'm left brained".

I only consumer organic, gluten free vegan atoms

>My kid's reaction to sugar isn't just 'expelling extra energy'. It's a behavioral shift. And I'm guessing from your proposing this idea you don't know much physiology. As if people with a high blood sugar go crazy, yeah, right.
>
>You guys think that because one research project says so, then 'muh science' is infallible. You're fucking delusional.

I am guessing you don't know anything about psychology, especially kid psychology.
Also please back your claims up with some kind of credible sources if you start to claim that sugar is some kind of behaviour-altering drug instead of the pure energy source that our bodies are attuned to.

You sound like someone who would also subscribe to the idea of flat earth, that evolution is "just a theory" and I feel that pic related fits

>I don't understand it but I'll reply anyway.
>Just use le old reddit attack.
>*opens fedora folder*

Go fuck yourself you stupid piece of shit.

Thanks for proving my point, brainlet

>everyone in my circle jerk says it
>... it must be true ...
>you're just not enlighten

New Atheism is the worst cult.

>Religion, by definition, needs you to believe without evidence.
That is untrue, all religions believe they have all the evidence

>what is the placebo effect

>People use 10% of their brains.
Amazingly people use only like 8%. Einstein unlocked 11% and if you can hack around 15% you can fully control your body functions

fuck you and your fucking science. it is common sense that sugar makes you hyper active. that is why people take sugar and shit with coffee in the morning. i fucking hate science.

science is a whore and like a good whore she does what the man with the money tells her to do. science is nothing but a church that the feudal corporations used to legitimize their existance and their profits.

FUCK YOUR SCIENCE. i am an adult and sugar makes me restless. it is only natural to assume that it is causing the kids to become hyper. SCIENCE IS NOTHING BUT A RELIGION. FUCK YOU

> it is common sense
> the words uttered before a bad decision

Kek

FUCK ALL SCIENCE. one only has to look at sports science to see how much bull shit exists. just look at sport clothes meant for athletes. the so called moisture wicking shirts that supposedly cool your body by wicking the sweat off of it. can you tell what is wrong with that ?

Do some experiments yourself for fun. Put a candy bar worth of sugar in their vegetables/food. Monitor them.

Do the same experiment a different day with a candy bar.

My thoughts are that they will be hyper after a candy bar but not vegetables with sugar on them.

I don't have kids yet, but, when I do have kids, I will be doing lots of secret experiments on them for fun. Mwahaha...

If your blood sugar goes up when you eat sugar, you should go see a doctor; you have diabetes.

even if that was true, there maybe something in the vegetable, like extra water, that dilutes the effect of the sugar. i do not need to do shitty experiments like these. i have for years had sugar and all kinds of other junk. i know how it makes me feel.

FUCK ALL SCIENCE. FUCK THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD.