Is there anyway to stop sleeping?

Is there even any definitive scientific evidence that says humans need to sleep?

What proof is there that sleep isn't just an addiction?

I want to stop wasting my fucking life sleeping.

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/10/18/236211811/brains-sweep-themselves-clean-of-toxins-during-sleep
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxin#Misuse_of_the_term
science.sciencemag.org/content/355/6324/507
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

this cant be a serious question

People that have gone without sleep for more then 10 days have literally gone insane.

npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/10/18/236211811/brains-sweep-themselves-clean-of-toxins-during-sleep

interesting article
however it doesn't explain the short term consequences of lack of sleep
is there a specific reason why the brain is so dependant on rest every 18 or so hours?

think of all the useless crap that happens to you day to day, all of that gets wiped during sleep and only relevant information remains

some people sleep a lot less but I doubt anyone knows how

It is bait like half of the threads here

The brain has evolved in an environment where cyclic downtime was a given. At some point, a distant ancestor of ours, and I'm anthropomorphizing now, utilized the part of day it was not active in to house regenerative brain functions. The reason this was possible, or should i say necessary, was specialization. Our ancestral species that first developed specialization gave rise to the time window necessary to develop sleep into. It is fully possible that a more developed brain that followed was not structurally possible without the regeneration that sleep allows. I know this is not an answer, just an elaboration on the problem.

I did not sleep 4 nights in a row. I got very, very paranoid. Everything was kind of laggy. Also words spelled slightly different but that sounded the same became indistinguishable to me.

The worst part is that I now can't sleep every other night, and I do not feel a compelling sense to aim for goals. Like I know I should care, but it feels kind of flat and there is no more sense of urgency/importance.

I am worried that I damaged my prefrontal cortex by staying up so ling. I am probably just imagining these long term symptoms... or I hope so atleast...

most of it happens during the day too, for example I'm unlikely to remember the number of people I was waiting with at my bus stop a few hours later

I still don't understand why the brain chooses to act erratically like described by
and
It seems more to me that lack of sleep doesn't harm the system like lack of oxygen or nutrition, but the brain seems to force itself to sleep by instead creating symptoms and exhaustion

On a ketogenic diet you could get away with less sleep.
Feeling rested both psychologically and physically during the day helps too.
A polyphasic schedule optimizes your sleeping time.
Then consider going to sleep and waking up at the same time.

'ketogenic' diets are a pseudoscientific fad though, and getting all of your energy from fat is bad for cardiovascular health in the long run

If anything is pseudoscience it's polyphasic sleep. The ketogenic diet has been found to help many ailments including a mouse study which found it vastly reduced the amount of brain cells lost after TBI. Also link your claim about it reducing cardiovascular health in the long run because I've looked for a study like that for my research more than once and found nothing. Even other research papers comment on how no such study exist yet. Short term studies all show no negative effects though.

It's not. Monomial sleep patterns are bad. However, uber method of sleep will make you go insane

Am I the only one whose bullshit alarm can't help but ring when I see or hear the word "toxins"

I once didn't sleep for 4 days too. It wasn't deliberate though.

I stood up one night watching anime and I had a date that same afternoon so I didn't want to sleep through it (I had to leave quite early since I was staying in a hotel in a nearby city, so I had to take the bus) and I downed some energy drinks and went out. We went to her place and I think she was trying to get me to stay the night, but I had no toothbrush or spare clothes so I refused and left for the bus station. When I got there, the bus was already leaving. I could have gone back to her place, but I thought it would be awkward to come back after leaving, so I just booked a seat in a gaming cafe for the night (I got the idea from watching YouTube videos about Japanese people).

Anyway, I spent the entire night playing CSGO and that was my second night up. I had about 6 Red Bulls and couldn't sleep on the bus either. When I got back to my temporary living place, my headache was too strong to sleep so I stood up for two more nights working and eventually fell asleep when I couldn't take it anymore and downed a sleeping pill.

After a good night's sleep, I didn't feel any more symptoms. I think your apathy or lack of motivation has nothing to do with sleep and more with an unfulfilling life.

>'ketogenic' diets are a pseudoscientific fad though
You're a special kind of retard.
>If anything is pseudoscience it's polyphasic sleep.
Have you ever took a nap, moron?

>I want to stop wasting my fucking life sleeping.
And waste your daytime on Veeky Forums.

speaking from personal experience, if you sleep deprive yourself for months you get uncontrollably hungry, like so hungry you think you're dying and food doesn't make it go away

im skinny btw

the brain does weird things when you start messing with it

the brain packs cleaning mechanism when awake.
In sleep cells shrink a a fluid is fed between the cells.
This cleans the build up toxins.
Guess what Alzheimer is?
Not being able to clean some toxins.

Occasional naps are not the same as long term sleep plans that involve limiting your night time sleep and "making them up" with naps with the intention to induce more REM sleep, fucking moron.

We know almost nothing about the brain beyond its chemicals mechanism and that big areas are more active during some activities than others and that these activity patterns vary depending on person and his well-being.

Especially about sleep we do not know anything beyond "you go insane if you stop doing that".

>I think your apathy or lack of motivation has nothing to do with sleep and more with an unfulfilling life.

Phew! That's great to hear!

No, my bullshitometer also redlined. Isn't toxin just a newer term for 'bad spirits'?

No they are just things you need to get 'away' from the cells.

I think of toxins as being cell piss and crap, because that is where the toxins eventually go anyway. Oh, I guess some can be breathed out through the mouth and nose.

Anyway, yeah, toxins triggers my bullshitometer as well. Usually toxins are used because the person using the word has no more-specific words to offer.

Taking a nap is equivalent to biphasic sleep.
It feels so good after a nap. I wish I could take them.
Instead I feel sleepy and direct but and just can't sleep during the day.

A toxin is a poison that comes from a plant or animal.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxin#Misuse_of_the_term

just make a live study by yourself

reduce the amount of sleep you get every night or just stay awayke completely

get your vitales checked before, while and after doing it

I'm an ugly son of a bitch who stays awake all night and feels great in the morning and basically, you're fucking stupid

Nanda Kore wa?

A good question would be "How would we be if we didn't need sleep?"
Rest is needed to heal and rest. What would we do in the dark?

A much simpler nervous system like in invertebrates that never sleep.

Get more work done
Get more life done

you'll die if you don't sleep

What do you want to do? I think you'll find its not the lack of hours in the day that are keeping you from your goals. My.bet is that you are afraid to sleep.

I'm woke if I wasn't I wouldn't be able to report on my wokefulness.

10/10

There's a paper about that in this week's issue of Science:
science.sciencemag.org/content/355/6324/507

Basically they show that during sleep synapses get restructured ('synaptic scaling') to prevent runaway excitation during wakefulness.

I think you just adjusted to a lack of sleep, so you no longer get tired, yet you still feel the symptoms of sleep deprivation whether or not you feel like you want to go to sleep. I would say you developed insomnia but I don't think that's how that works. Just try to force yourself to go to sleep and rest, or take melatonin when it gets really bad. Eventually you will repair your body's sleep schedule and start feeling tired again when you should. If you actually have developed insomnia, I don't think the solution is that simple, but if your sleep schedule has just been messed up for a while you probably just need to fix it by getting into good sleep habits again.

>polyphasic sleep is psuedoscience

source now, before I take my afternoon siesta preferably

Lack of sleep affects people differently. I'm not motivated at all when I have no sleep, because I have no energy to put forth towards anything. Other people might be different. I don't really think it's fair to say that he just has a shitty life

sleep is garbage collection