Which is the most important math? Which is the most valuable math?

Which is the most important math? Which is the most valuable math?

My answer: Geometry

Integral gender studies

Differential Privilege Checking

Discrete Liberal Arts

I know I will get massacred for saying this since there is so much mathematical talent on Veeky Forums, but I really enjoyed Discrete Mathematics.

since there is so much mathematical talent on Veeky Forums

Stat

Differential equations

t. engineer and muh dynamic systems

It's obviously basic algebra. It's needed both for both extremely complex engineering projects, for basic commerce, and for everything in between. Geometry is a close second.

i like how she is laffing but also nervuss you must be thinking about how much more the rest of Veeky Forums knows math than u :)))

I've been told by Grad students that the "real math" starts in Real Analysis, but I've already felt I've been studying similar proofs in Geometry/Calculus.

I guess the most important math is (for me) Differential Equations.

Complex analysis.
It is practically impossible to solve equations without it.
Furthermore, proofs that rely on it are extremely elegant.

A proof is only elegant if it only involves algebraic or category theoretic elements

On the contrary, the fundamental determinant of the elegance of a proof is when if, given the appropriate background, it requires fewer than ten pages for its expression (simplicity, yet some engaging complexity without being onerous), and more than one (non-triviality).

What underlies a proof's elegance, then, is not the particular branches of mathematics which are used to treat of it, but quite simply the length of the proof. It is the fact that the three branches already mentioned may admit of such appropriately lengthed proofs, which has confused you into believing that it's the branch employed (which are incidental), and not the page count (which is definitive).

I've only had calculus and linear algebra, so I'm gonna go with algebra because it seems more aesthetically pleasing.

itt nonmathematicians weigh in on shit they don't understand

most important: lie theory
most valuable: point-set topology

t. employed by a muh-top-ten university for mathematics research

So is a proof that is exactly ten pages long elegant or not?

>t.
Why do you keep doing this?

because it looks nice

t. frequent t. user

Old chan tradition

That is an excellent question, requiring further modeling in the sequel. Let me suggest that it is halfway in between.

A heuristic: let P = 1, or let P = 10. Meanwhile, the Elegance E maps to the closed (?) unit interval [0,1]. With the appropriate map being defined, we may say that E(P) = E(1) = E(10) = 1/2. For 1 < P < 10, we have that E(P) > 1/2, while in the cases of P < 1 or P > 10, we have that E(P) < 1/2.

I'm not this guy but he is obviously correct. Just because something is simple, or brain-dead stupid, does not mean that it is not important. If you want to try your answers, then you are obliged to consider the distinct variants of OP's prompt with language like "for mathematical research", "for working mathematicians", etc, which are not the general prompt that the OP actually wrote.

If all nonmathematicians and most people in STEM can live their lives quite happily without ever once being obliged to study Lie theory, then it is not /generally/ important, its importance to mathematical research (your wheelhouse) notwithstanding.

Mathematical Logic. It lays down the very foundations of all other fields of mathematics.

Math = Logic (epistemology)
Important Logic = Algebra (duh)
Valuable Logic = Geometry (Euclid)

Finns, innit?

Somehow people have done math without logic (as we understand the word now) until the very end of XIX century.

Trig. 3d trig.

>Discrete Mathematics
meme used to solve "toy problems". certainly it didn't brought:

>Fundamental calculus
>Wavelets
>Convolution
>FFT
>DWT
>vector fields
>(P)DEs
>methods of solving said PDEs (FEM,FDM,FDTD )
>Measure theory
>Calculus of variations
>Manifolds
>Differential geometry

but
" graphs lmao "
" dude, we "invented" computers "
" algorithm is pretty refined right now it has only O((2^n)/10^6) complexity, for n >56 "

meanwhile people who didn't get into this meme branch, don't need beg their university for money, because they're remotely employable

>freshman

Yes, the branch of mathematics which doesn't involve continuous phenomena indeed will not induce continuous mathematics. Nice observation there undergrad-kun.

People who actually use mathematics can appreciate the elegance of all branches of math, even those which you aren't well versed in.

no, i was trying point out how funny it is, that they like to boast how "real world" it is. while producing virtually nothing comparable to things that were listed by me.

Uhm. In case you weren't aware of some basic discrete domains:

Set Theory
Combinatorics
Graph Theory
Number Theory
Grammars
Logic
etc, etc, etc.

Are you literally retarded lol?